• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Keeping In Touch

Moviedust

Hello, all. Sorry I havent been as active on the boards lately. I've gone back to work with the school year, and I dont have a lot of free time. Even my evenings are structured. If I dont have grading or other teaching work to do for school, I'm busy with Willow's obedience class or teaching the two puppy classes on Wednesdays!! It's insane!!

For those of you who are interested, though, I thought I'd share a bit about Cedar and Willow.

Both are doing very well, though we had a few rough weeks when school started and I wasnt able to be with them 24 hrs a day. We're all learning to cope a bit better now, which is good.

Willow has started her obedience class, and so far she's doing very well. Since she's a rescue and hasnt had a great deal of socialization, I thought it would be a good time for her to get some time around new dogs and people (and I dont have to pay for the classes since I teach the puppy classes!). Willow did very well and she was very friendly and outgoing with everyone. She's progressing very well; she took a treat from a stranger's hand and she let me cradle her and rub her belly. Both behaviors are actions she wouldnt do when she came to us.

Cedar is still a little manipulator. We recently got out the bell for Cedar to ring when she wants to go out. However, as I type this I see that DH has moved the bell off the floor. Cedar's been abusing it and ringing it five minutes after she comes in from going out. :roll:

The girls are still getting along excellently with each other. There is a bit of jealousy when I cuddle with one and the other feels left out. This behavior is most noticeably starting to be more apparent with Willow. She doesnt want Cedar to get more attention than she does; Cedar's not so bad about it. So we are using our Wait command that Willow has learned this last week. It's tough for her to wait while she watches Cedar get cuddles, but it is a glorious moment for her when she's given the okay and the attention is all hers.

So that's what's going on in our little world at the moment. I'm crazy busy and the girls are their crazy selves. We are doing very well, despite the craziness. I'll take the time to post a bit more often. I read post when I have the chance, but I'll try to say hi now and then.

:flwr: Cindy

It's great to hear about how well Willow is coming along. and i see that Cedar is just as smart and clever as ever, and adapting fine to her new sister.

what grade do you teach Cindy? I admire how you are handling so many things. It's a good thing the dogs have each other for the times when you aren't home.

Lovely to hear about you all, :cffee:

Take care and hear from you again very soon! (((hugs))) for you all, :lotsaluv:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Cindy, it's great to hear about you and your girls! That's great you're teaching puppy classes, too. The thread about Cedar and her bell had us in stitches; I was reading it to my husband and we both cracked up! :lol:

Such quick replies!! I was shocked to see so many of you had said hi when I got online this morning to check messages before settling in to grading!! It's a lovely feeling to know people are out there who care!

Judy-- I teach writing classes at a state university. I also teach the graduate students how to teach the writing classes, so my time is often spent advising as well as teaching/grading/conferencing. It's amazing how much time just disappears, and I'm left trying to figure out how I'm going to grade my own undergraduate student's papers (rather than helping the GTAs grade theirs!).

Cathy-- I'm glad you enjoyed the post about Cedar's bell antics. :roll: I noticed this morning that when Cedar did not find the bell by the door (it is still on the coffee table) she came to me rather than scratching at the door. So MAYBE the bell has broken her off that habit. We'll see!

Cindy - sounds like everything is going well. The dynamics of two is definitely different....and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The nice thing about Cavaliers is that you can fit two on your lap at the same time :D The bell antics cracked me up. I can just see her ringing that darn bell. Goofy girl!!

whoa, cindy, that is a lot of work! i used to be a grad student at UCI and a TA in poli sci classes. The professor had 90 to over a hundred students in those classes and i think there were about 3 TAs per class. The prof met with us about teaching and grading. And of course, the profs had smaller classes and seminars that they taught as well with their own grading. i'll never forget sitting on my bed with piles of bluebooks and term papers, reading one essay or thesis after another trying to keep a consistent grading standard and to keep focused. we kept office hours to meet with students too, and held two or three discussion sections a week, plus our own full load of classes. it was a brisk pace. i loved university life, and would love to do it again. i love working at home, that's one reason why i love the lifestyle. i bet those dogs of yours get jealous after waiting so long for your petting and hugs and attention, how good of willow to learn to wait. she is learning to be such a little lady. :flwr:

Hi Cindy, glad to hear that you and the girls are settling into a good routine. I too have been missing from the board for a while due to school work. I teach grade 3- nothing like your workload but we had a lot happening at the end of term- we are on end of term break now for 2 weeks and I hope to be able to catch up wih the board again plus we had to change our internet provider and the changeover took longer than we expected :(
It is great to hear how your girls are going. Willow is doing so well isn't she? :)
Julie and the girls

welcome back julie!
my mom was an elementary school teacher and taught 2nd grade for the last 19 years. elementary is A LOT of work!
don't you get a full summer break in oz? why only 2 weeks?
how's the dogs?

*g* Cos they're in the southern hemisphere- this is the tail end of their winter! Though it depends where you are. Sydney and further north are never what you'd exactly call cold. They have summer hols in December- very odd if you're there as a European native and combining summer and xmas hols in one.... although they do get a short break in the summer.

oh yeah, huh?
actually i was dimly aware of that but because it's october now, which means the weather is turning cool here, i thought we *were* in winter. I'm rushing it a bit. we just have two seasons in the LA area, hotter and colder-- :? i feel the absence of summer in the air, was just thinking about it this morning, kind of wistfully. yesterday at the pet store, i got Zack his first rain coat. I feel rain in the air, though it hasn't happened yet. he looks sooooo cute in his raincoat. i had a hard time fitting him though. The small was way too small, but the waist band fits fine. The medium fits generally but the waist band is way too big, but it works if i tie it. It's not supposed to be tied, it's velcro straps. ....Maybe i can take it to a place that does alterations and have it fixed for him! hey, that's a good idea.

Judy, if you find Zack doesn't get use for his rain coat you should post it to one of his irish cousins. We've got 2 seasons here also... "wet and warm(ish)" and "wetter and colder".

Hi there,
Judy, we have a 2 week break at the end of each term, we start school each year at the end of January and work up till Easter and then have a 2 week break. Then we have another 2 week break at the end of June and yet another one at the end of September. We then work up till Christmas so have about 5 weeks break in summer. Our universities have a different system again as they work a little more on a semester system and have a much bigger summer break. How does your school system work? I always end up with heaps of work to do in the holidays as well :( Thanks for your interest.
Julie and the girls

Cindy,

Thanks for the update of willow and cedar. I have been sick and haven't gotten around to reading your post. ;)

Glad Willow is finally warming up. What a big step for her - finally letting you rub her belly in class!! I love it when Kosmo lets me do that.

I love reading stories of willow's progression and how she's faring with Cedar. It's interesting to me that she's jealous of cedar when she's getting all of the cuddles. I am worried that if I got another dog Kosmo would be really bent out of shape because every hour that I am home is spent with him. He's either sitting on my lap or laying on my feet if we're not playing and rough housing throughout the house.

Cedar is still a little manipulator. We recently got out the bell for Cedar to ring when she wants to go out. However, as I type this I see that DH has moved the bell off the floor. Cedar's been abusing it and ringing it five minutes after she comes in from going out.

LOL that is so funny. It's the exact reason we do not have a bell. I think they all believe they are attention starved. :roll:

Thanks for the update, it was nice to hear from you! :) :flwr:

Back