• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Something else to add to list!!!

They can pick up fleas anywhere -- while on walks, while at the vet, while visiting someone with dog, cats or other furries... fleas are very adaptable and mobile. Most dogs and cats get them on and off, depending on their environment (both location as some climates are more prone to fleas; and also what they come into contact with). They are easy to treat.

I have had dogs forever and I just saw my first flea Saturday. I think the last flea I had was 15 years ago. I always give the dogs and cats Advantage or Frontline, but this year my vet told me to use Sentinel because it combined the heartworm treatment with flea repellent. That sounded good for my dogs, so I said yes. When I saw the flea on Saturday, I went to the Sentinel website and found out that it doesn't cover all stages of flea life and doesn't kill adult fleas. So just 2 days ago, I applied Frontline Top Spot to kill those nasty fleas. My own cat is allergic to flea bites, so all fleas must die!

Fleas are such a pain. Not only are they uncomfortable for the dog, they make you have sympathy itches like crazy! I swear every time I find a flea on Cupcake (which hasn't happened for quite some time thank goodness!) I start itching like mad.

I know :lol: since we found them i've been itching like mad and jumping at every tiny little thing that even resembles one!!!
Can't stand creepy crawlees :yuk: :yuk:

:lol: And I thought I was the only one!!! I'm itching now just thinking of your fleas Estelle!

Charleen said:
...I always give the dogs and cats Advantage or Frontline, but this year my vet told me to use Sentinel because it combined the heartworm treatment with flea repellent. That sounded good for my dogs, so I said yes. When I saw the flea on Saturday, I went to the Sentinel website and found out that it doesn't cover all stages of flea life and doesn't kill adult fleas. So just 2 days ago, I applied Frontline Top Spot to kill those nasty fleas. My own cat is allergic to flea bites, so all fleas must die!

Charleen--i can't vouch for any of these products because they all make me nervous, but Zack had so many fleas that i had no choice but to give him something, and my vet recommended Revolution. I think it has a different name in other countries besides the US, but the name of the actual drug is Selamectin. It prevents heartworm, as well as treating fleas, earmites and sarcoptic mange. When i put it on Zack, it worked pretty fast.

I liked it better than Advantage which i used twice before (i have never used Frontline) because Advantage caused a large smelly greasy area on the back of Zack's neck and i couldn't really kiss him or hug him after that because the smell of poison was so strong. After 8 hours it was no less greasy and smelly. At that point i gave him a bath and washed it all off. Apparently, that destroyed its flea killing effect because the fleas did not improve. The Revolution just makes a very tiny spot on the back of the neck, maybe less than an inch in diameter, and after two hours it's completely dry. According to advertisements you can bathe them right after putting it on and it will still work. So if you want something that prevents heartworm as well as killing fleas, you might look into this.

personally, i don't feel confident that any of them are safe, but fleas have to be treated. My vet thinks Zack got a bacterial skin infection from fleas. He had to take antibiotics for it.

Busta caught his fleas from the vets..... I saw it jump on him.... Frontlined everyone, hoovered and washed everything.....when I got home just in case...knowing my luck it jumped back on the rug at the vets... :roll:

We've only ever had one case of fleas in our house. We had 2 cats, both of which were regularly treated with Nuvan Top which was then the 'best you could buy' from the Vets.

We went on holiday and left the cats with Granny and Grandad and came home just over 2 weeks later. We arrived home around 2am in the middle of a heatwave. I opened my uitility room door to put the suitcases in there until morning and suddenly my legs were plastered in tiny fleas :yikes

I was almost hysterical as we'd been traveling since around 5am and I was exhausted and convinced my house was full of bugs. I started wailing to hubby that we'd have to get the house fumigated and all the neighbours would know :roll: .

Hubby pulled the cases back into the kitchen and got the Dyson out......I think he got to bed at around 6am, bless him!

Next morning I found that the fleas hadn't come from my cats at all but from one of my neighbours cats who also used the cat flap to my utility room - she knocked the door and said she was sorry if we found any fleas but her little angel had come in covered in them the day after we went away. He'd probably gotten them from a bird or hedgehog and then brought them into both of our houses :roll:

Needless to say, we changed our cat flap to a magnetic one after that icon_whistling

fleas

i found two fleas on charlie last night i was sitting there combing him at 11.50pm i didnt find any on molly but with 3 cats who go out its hard keeping fleas at bay back to the vets for flea control.. :sl*p:

Estelle - Revolution sounds the same as Stronghold - I got this from the vets when frontline had no effect on Merlin's little flea friends earlier this year - it seemed to work overnight!

mine have never had fleas,I usually treat them with advantage from the vets in the summer as a precaution but I will start to treat them more often,vet says every three months or so as there is a litter of kittens about 4 months old who love to come and play at the end of my garden. They live in one of the houses at the back of me,They are well looked after but as there are five of them and their young mum and they are venturing futher every day,I think it's best to be on the safe side.

It's funny to see pippins face when all six of them sit on our back wall!

Aarrgg I can't stop scratching now!

Back