Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dew claws!

Post Thanks / Like

Default dew claws!

the breeder (well i say breeder, she did only have the one litter as far as i know though her sister had been breeding for a while) anyway, they didnt take off jadans dew claws when he was born and the vet told me at his first check up that i may as well leave them until he was neatured as it would be more of an op than if they had been done at birth. he is due this next wek. does anyone else still have there dew claws? they get caught i was told and it is best they are removed. but does anyone else still have theres or willjadan have to go through neuteing as well as this as tehy will be done at the same time as he will already be under.
    my mummy lurrrrves me!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Duncan still has his while Arthur doesn't. We haven't had any problem with Duncan's and personally I think he can hold on to toys a little better when he is try to get a good chew.

I've always heard that if dogs had opposable thumbs they would rule the world. Dunc's dew claws seem close and he definitely runs the house!

It may be only a personal opinion but I wouldn't put little jaden through it unless there is a reason it will be a problem.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Kosmo still has his dews as well and they haven't been a problem this far. It's kind of a pain to clip them .. OK a HUGE pain to clip them, but he does fine with them and they haven't caused any kind of problems. The vet didn't even mention it when we went to took him to be neutered either. I would think that if it were a problem she would have at least addressed it.. good luck!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Barney still has his and so has Jazzie and Jazzie is 10 plus my self unless there is a problem I would leave then alone Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

UK and Irish breeders do not tend to remove them. They rarely get in their way and personally I think it is cruel to cut them off especially as a lot of time this is done with no anaesthetic at all. For some breeds like working hunting dogs who will be iin the brush perhaps it makes more sense as they very rarely do get caught and can rip and need to be removed; but at the same time Pyrenees for example are supposed to keep them, front and back, as part of the breed description and these are often dogs that are worked as herding dogs or are often outdoorsy dogs... so I don't see why they are required on one breed and considered a problem in others.

I'd leave them. All mine have theirs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lucky no longer has his dew claws.

I didn't have them removed but they were gone when I got him. I read that they are often removed because they were thought to be a hazard to the prominent eyes. I suppose the idea is that they might inadvertently hurt themselves when scratching (?)

Anyway, the choice was already made for me, but that the reason I remembered for why they are removed. When I did a search of "dew claws" and "cavaliers" on Google the search results showed the same reason.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Dudley had his removed when he was just a few days old, Darby on the other hand still has his.

I don't find them a problem at all, just remember to cut them when trimming the nails.

Post Thanks / Like

Molly has one dew claw. Apparently missed by the breeders vet. My vet told me it was better just to leave it alone because if she removed it, it would probably just provide an irritant that Molly might not leave alone.

Post Thanks / Like

My parent's cavalier still has his dew claws and seems to be doing fine. In fact he's pretty sure they help him crawl onto the open door of the dishwasher to do any necessary "pre rinsing."
    Kendra
    Mommy to Cupcake and Nila & Auntie to Nacho

Post Thanks / Like

Chester still has his too and I just have to make sure to trim the nails often. No problems here...
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton