• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dew claws!

My first cavalier didn't have them. The breeder has having them removed very young, but she had one puppy die after the operation and after that she wouldn't have it done anymore, so 10 months later when I got Merry - she had her dew claws. Merry hasn't had any problems.

I did have a bassett hound with dew claws and she lived to the ripe old age of 14.5 years old. She did get a dew claw caught once and it bled. I took her to the vet and it was a very minor injury and not medication or other work was needed.

thanks for all your stories. i was lead to believe it was the done thing. jadan has both hs front and back and whilst they havent caused any problems so far the vet did say that he would do them at the same time as the the neutering so that jay wouldnt have to go under again. but if so many of yours have them (front and back) then i think i will leave his alone too. thanks again. this site is just the best :p :p :p :p :p :p i am so glad i found it as it has given me so many laughs :lol: and so much info :flwr:

Angie,

I'm very glad you decided to not have them removed. After all, why put little Jay through that if it's not absolutely necessary?! :huh: (just so the Vet can make a few extra bucks? No thanks!)

And, I completely agree w/ you on this site! The info. and the people are GREAT! :flwr:

Angie,
My vet suggested that Coco has her dews removed during her spay surgery as well. She is 13 weeks old. She has her front and one back, and have similarly caused no problems. I didn't understand why it was necessary to remove them, and Ive been thinking of leaving them. Thanks for bringing this issue up- it helped me out too!
:flwr:

In an old book on Cocker Spaniels (c 1930s, I think) the author says dew claws should be removed because otherwise they can grow awkwardly and dig into the dog's paw, but I suppose that would be prevented with regularl trimming! From that I assumed dew claws were automatically removed, so I was startled when Holly's breeder was clipping her nails last week and made a comment about doing the dewclaw as well. I'm not even sure which nail it is! :roll: :oops:

Neither of mine has dew claws. The breeder removed them when they were very very young. If they still had them...I would not have had them removed.

I had a toy Poodle who we thought had had all of his dew claws removed by his breeder....or so we thought, we later discovered that one dew claw was left and it had started to grow back in to his skin, it had to be surgically removed. When I got Bentley, my vet assumed that if Bentley was to be neuetered that he would remove the dew claws as well, I don't know why so many vets are so quick to remove them. But, Bentley still has his and I am not going to have them removed since I think it is a bigger deal when they are older. Just be sure to keep them trimmed and you shouldn't really have any problems.

Angie,

I'm glad you have decided against removing the dew claws - its no extra hassle - I just check them/ trim them whenever its a major spruce up day. Normally a sunday morning, which ears have a good clean, eyes have a good wipe down, teeth brushed, big brush allover, trim between pads and then a bowl of milky tea for being a brave boy!

P.S Love your new avatar! ;)

well i am glad i asked in time as i had never really given the matter much thought until jadan was due to go back for his neutering and now i am soo glad that i did mention it. :) maybe i should just ask the vet to show me how best to trim them instead of removing them. his other claws get worn away as he has a back yard to play in so running up and down that full pelt gives them a good seeing to. ;)

about the picture kirsty. thanks. i know we are all biased towards our little fluff balls. but jadan does the funniest things. i have soo many pictures of him in action doing things that i didnt know which one to put on so got my teenager to change it for me, just so i could show him off :lol: :lol: :lol: :wggle: arent i a big girl!! hope it hasnt confused people. :flwr:

Litttle late reading this one but my girls have their dew claws and I did mention them to the vet. He was the one who told me not to get it done as the operation can cause problems. So I decided that if the vet didn't think that it was a good idea I wasn't going ahead with it (although I know that they are not infallible).
Julie and the girls

arasara said:
Kosmo still has his dews as well and they haven't been a problem this far. It's kind of a pain to clip them .. OK a HUGE pain to clip them, but he does fine with them and they haven't caused any kind of problems. The vet didn't even mention it when we went to took him to be neutered either. I would think that if it were a problem she would have at least addressed it.. ;) good luck!

If you have problems trimming dews-- sometimes using human toe nail cutters works better.

can you really use those toe nail cutters... i ask because at least i am used to those and find the look of those dog nail clippers really big and clumpy. :?

Back