• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet dogs at shows?

Lisa_T

I'm planning to go to the Belfast Championship Show this weekend. Anyone know what the protocol is generally for bringing a pet dog? I prob won't bring Holly- I know the traffic's bound to be bad and it'll be faster to take the train (not terribly dog friendly)- but I'd like to know I *could* bring her if I wanted to.

The dog shows I've been to in the U.S. don't allow pet dogs. Maybe the rules are different in Ireland, though.

Irish shows down here do not allow pet dogs and I'd guess NI is the same. Some people bring them, not knowing this, but really this is a nuisance for the people showing dogs and a potential problem -- eg pet dogs may get loose, may bark, may be very distracted by the number of dogs. The Irish shows forbid them though people bring them sometimes. Generally the shows are packed with little manouevre room and can be dangerous because of this for small dogs. Also consider that there are many large breeds and also many dogs whose level of aggression and training you just don't know.

There are often 'fun' shows run by rescues, fundraisers or breed clubs where pets are very welcome and can also enter the classes for competition. This is a far more appropriate place to bring a pet.

I once brought Jaspar when young to the Irish national show thinking it would be fun and not realising this wasn't actually allowed, and he was stressed, distracted by too many dogs, and also bored. I couldn't get anything to eat as dogs aren't allowed in the cafe and friends and I had to do 'shifts' to have lunch which was also no fun not least as Jaspar shrieked when I went in and out of sight, very embarrassing to me and my poor friends left holding him. I had a much better time the next year with the dogs safely at home. :)

generally, unless people are showing or have health appoointments (eg their pet dog is attending a cardiac clinic at a CKCS show) it is good sense and good etiquette and often the rules to leave pets at home for the formal shows and instead look for mixed events where pets are welcome. :) ASH rescue and Limerick Animal Rescue both do such events here in the Republic; I will try to start posting such things for people to go along to. (y)

I know here if it's a Cav breed show and you have a K/C reg Cav then you enter and pay but just do not compete. Details of all shows are sent through the various U.K Cav area breed clubs.

I know as I tried to take Honey to Malvern this year when I was doing the health info table there. Because she didn't have papers and registration with the K/C as she was a rescue I couldn't bring her. :( They wouldn't even allow her to be part of the health stall itself with the Dry Eye/Curly Coat, which is why I was there, something to do with insurance etc...if one of the stewards was to have seen her I would have had to leave taking her with me.

I like to think it was because she was more Boooootiful than all the others. Stiff competition! :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv:

Alison, wilts, U.k.

Alison_Leighfield said:
I like to think it was because she was more Boooootiful than all the others. Stiff competition! :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv:

Alison, wilts, U.k.

Of course it was Alison, there could never ever be another Hunnybunnybuns :lotsaluv:

Ah, just as well I'm gettin' the train then and leaving Miss Holly at home! :D Anyone been to the Belfast Champ show before? I know it's a regular fixture, and I know there's always a Cav ring, but the website and related pdfs is basic!!

Alison they would have been so jealous to see your beautiful Honey bunns, she would have been the most gorgeous Cavalier there :lotsaluv:

Back