Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good trainer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, the whole idea for training a young puppy is getting into the puppy kindergarten group. Usually part of the class time is for letting the pups mingle and socialize, then part for puppy care (nail trimming, tooth brushing, etc.), then some light, fun lead and obedience training.

If the trainer comes to your house, you'll miss out on all the good parts!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

My pup has worn a harness to obedience school since Day 1. The trainers never said a word. Puppies are naturally going to pull on their leads while training, especially when learning loose-leash walking. A harness is absolutely the way to go. Put your foot down with this guy, and if he still insists on a collar then look for someone else. He obviously doesn't have much experience with Cavaliers.

I like my group training class because the puppies are able to learn commands amidst multiple distractions. It's good for dogs to learn to obey even when there is activity going on around them.

Good luck with training!

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS GUYS for all your advice! I called the trainer and told him that I wanted to use a harness and told him why and he said that was absolutely fine and was pleased that I had done my research and even thanked me for the information.

He was wonderful - he stayed for 3 hours and only cost $50 which I will gladly pay for that much one on one time. I asked where he thought a good socialization kindergarten would be and he said that he taught one not too far away and it would be free for me because he teaches me privately (That's great!!!)

Much to my surprise after our initial conversation - this guy is very much against any punishment. He only does reward based training and does not jerk them around like I thought he would. On the contrary, he does a lot of pro-bono work in bad neighborhoods with underprivileged family's trying to teach them how to train dogs without beating them (which apparently is a problem in certain areas in my city)

Guess I shouldn't have judged this guy - oops!!!

Anyway thank you all again for your help - I just love this board!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow!!!

I'm so happy for you that you had a great training experience!!!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's wonderful that it worked out for you! How soon can you take your puppy to kindergarten?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy that you have found a good trainer. My feeling is go with your gut feeling. If you are not comfortable with a training procedure, don't do it. I once took my dog (not my current cavaliers) to a trainer who literally pulled him off the ground by his collar and leash...He did what she told him to do, but his poor little tail was tucked so tightly between his legs, it was total fear. I never went back again. I train my dogs with collars (not choke...just regular buckles) but I use 100% positive reinforcement. Never any jerking, just lots of praise and yummies. Enjoy the training sessions, my dogs love going to doggie classes.
    J.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on the gut feeling thing Jay - at the end of the day that is what makes me feel good.

Cathy - I can take her to his next session which is in a couple weeks - plus by that time, her vaccines will surely have taken effect (just in case).

I am so excited - we were doing okay on "sit" and "down" so far but this morning she was just a little star and showing off. I got so excited when she did really well and that made her so excited and then we woke up my Dad because we were making so much noise. Oh well, the whole thing was pretty amusing.