Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heartworm injection

Post Thanks / Like

Heartgard, the most frequently used heartworm med in the US, is just ivermectin. The half-life is only 24-36 hours so it leaves the body quickly (in feces). The doses used for heartworm prevention are quite low, and there is very minimal risk except for some sheepdogs because of a mutated gene. Click here for more info. The drug is used in much higher doses for other parasitic infections.

I know the heartworm injection was recalled here, so we stick with the pill.

Post Thanks / Like

Where we are in Florida, year round heart worm prevention is a must. Our vet recommends HeartGaurd in the chewable form. My pups think it is a treat and love when the first of the month comes around.

I don't think injections are done anymore in the states or at least not much
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Heartworm injection

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa0305
    My vet wants me to start Bailey on the heartworm injection (12month) when he is desexed at 6 months. Has anyone done this? I know for some breeds its not safe but I dont' find any cautions for Cavaliers.
    They pulled the proheart 6 month shot off the market here in the USA. If your dog has a reaction-- there is no way they can take it out (unlike the heartgard chew that is only in the system a short time. Also where I live it didn't make sense to drug a dog all year. fwiw Sandy