• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Urinating problem

Coco's mom

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am worried about Coco. My 13.5 week old puppy is having some issues urinating. Wednesday morning when she went out for her morning potty, she squatted and peed about 10-12 times. The first time she peed, she did a normal amount, but afterwards, it was just a few drops. She isn't in pain and there isn't any blood. She may be straining a little.
Well, she did this Wednesday morning, but stopped by afternoon. However, Thursday morning it started again, and continued for most of the day. :(
So, Thursday we took her to the vet. Her urine is normal. She also examined her and said she looks normal. So, she doesn't need a change in diet or medication.

She continues to go many many times when we take her outside. She doesn't soil her crate, but she is having more accidents in the house - sometimes just 3 minutes after we bring her back inside (and she would have peed 10 times outside or until she doesn't want to go anymore). Someone is always watching her inside too.
Housetraining was going well during the first few weeks we had her, but this is undoing our progress.
Really though, I am worried about her health. I am taking her back to the vet on Monday, but does anyone have any idea of what could be going on with Coco?

It's interesting that you vet checked her out and she's fine...my first thought was a urinary tract infection. When Shelby had one that is what she did....a nice normal pee first thing in the a.m. and then she kept dashing outside only to make a drop or two. I figured that was what it was and sure enough...it was. Let us know what the vet says on Monday. Sure sounds like a uti to me.

Might be a long shot, but do you treat her everytime she goes outside? We used to treat Rio everytime she went outside and I SWEAR half the time she used to pretend to go just to get a treat :lol:

Ten times seems a bit excessive though. You've had her checked out so I guess the best you can do now is keep an eye on it. Maybe take records of it so that if you need to go back to the vet you can show him.

I would have the vet recheck or try another vet and another range of tests. This has simply got to be a medical problem -- I cannot believe this isn't a urinary tract infection or kidney infection that may not have been picked up in the initial test. If the urine sample wasn't taken cleanly (eg by catheter) it could give a false reading and might have done so anyway. I'd get her back to a vet in asap as UTIs are very painful for a dog.

If it does turn out that Coco really does not have a UTI, it may be that she is a little confused about what is expected of her. This happened to us when we focused too much on India and her urination habits when she was a pup!

She has had several UTIs as a puppy and as an adult, but her underlying problem is her urine pH is too alkaline all the time. (The vet has prescribed a daily vitamin C supplement and a high protein diet to help with this.)

When India has a UTI she seems to not want to go outside, and has had accidents in the house (like while lying on the on the sofa!!!). I think it's because its painful for her to urinate when she has a UTI. But we have learned to look for early symptoms of a UTI so we can get her treated by the vet quickly! The first sign of UTI for India is 'droopiness'; she just wants to lay around. I usually get a urine sample (by using a soup ladle and a clean baby food jar) and take it right in to the vets for analysis. Sometimes the vet says her urine is normal at this point, though, and then a week later when I bring another sample they'll find an infection.

Anyways, when she was a puppy we used to spend a lot of time focusing on and fussing over her weeing, and I think she got confused about what we wanted her to do and whether it was right to wee at all! The poor little girl just wanted to sneak off and wee in privacy, I think!

I found it was better to back off and nonchalantly watch her out of the corner of my eye while waiting for her to wee. Also, keep the praise very low key and a tiny treat for weeing outside.

A puppy as young as Coco needs to be taken out very often just to make sure she wees outside. Maybe try taking her out more often to avoid accidents indoors.

Hi everyone and thanks for your responses. :flwr:
Well, Coco is still going a lot when we take her outside. She isn't having many accidents inside though. She seems to have quite a bit of bladder control - she doesn't get up to go at all at night. She never goes when she is being held or just sitting. She's also able to hold it in the car on fairly long drives. She won't even go when we stop in parks for her benefit. :roll: It's a little confusing!
Coco isn't showing any pain/burning when peeing. She is perfectly happy to keep on squatting and relieving herself all over the yard! (of course, getting a treat after each time!) She definitely will whine/cry when she is in pain (I saw that after her second booster :( ).
The vet today confirmed her urine is normal and it isn't a UTI. I am glad she isn't just giving antibiotics. She suggested we watch her closely. She thinks that some young puppies get distracted easily, and don't empty their bladder completely. Another reason she could have this problem is from stress! Poor Coco... The day before the peeing problem began, she had her first puppy kindergarten class. Although she did wonderfully with the obedience part, she was bullied by the other 2 "small" puppies during the off-leash play session (the smallest dog is 3-4 times her size! :?). They both chased her until she hid under a chair! It was her first time actually being with dogs since she had just had her second booster. We thought this stress may have caused the problem. (btw, I am working with her socialization skills with other doggies, and she's getting better each day...)

Cathy Moon, Being neurotic, I'm sure I am concentrating too much on her urination habits! I will try my best to back off just a tad and maybe it'll be easier for Coco to catch on! Coco IS still as active as ever though. I am going to send in another sample to be safe and return to the vet for another visit if this continues.
Karlin, Our initial thought was that it was a UTI as well. We did actually take a sterile sample. I am definitely going to return to the vet if she doesn't get better soon.
Cecily- I also thought that Coco pretends to get a treat!!!! That's so funny! Sometimes she just does a little turn, and comes back to me and sits nicely, waiting for a treat! Sneaky Coco...
Cathy T- I'm glad Coco checked out and she's fine, but I'm worried we are missing something. I'm just hoping it will go away. It's very possible that she's getting distracted in the yard even though I remind her to go. Thanks for all of your replies and advice! :flwr:

Glad to hear she doesn't have a UTI. :)

In puppy class sometimes if the size difference is too great in the puppies, I've seen the trainer let the larger dogs run loose for awhile, then get leashed so the small dogs can have a turn at safely running loose. When India was a puppy, she was stomped on by a golden retriever puppy. I was concerned that she would be injured! There were other folks in the class who had maltese and yorkie pups, and they were concerned, too. So the trainer let our little dogs have their own free time.

Glad she's doing better. I will note that my Shelby tinkles a LOT on our walks. She marks more than Jake does, I mean she will stop every 5th house if I let her. At first I was concerned and then realized she only does it on walks not at home. So....she's got boy instincts in a girl body :lol:

It could sure be stress and also the fact that she realises she gets treats for each wee. If the latter is the cause she will almost certainly settle down from doing this pretty soon. :)

Thank you again for all your advice! Coco doesn't seem to have the weeing problem as often anymore! :wggle: Maybe a couple of times this week when we have taken her outside she has urinated many times, but most of the time, it's 3 or 4 times. I am so relieved!
Cathy T, maybe Coco is like Shelby-- I guess I'll see once we start taking her for walks. Or perhaps she has been stressed or is looking for more treats... Whatever it is, I hope it goes away completely.

Oh, by the way, Cathy Moon, in Coco's puppy's class, the trainer does split up the puppies for play time. Unfortunately, there are no other small breeds in the class. :( The puppies in Coco's group include a sheltie, a pointer/German Shepard mix (I think), and a couple of labs. Perhaps I should have asked what type of breeds have joined the class before enrolling Coco.

Thank you again!

Glad to hear she's alright! I really thought Shelby had a problem until I realized she only does it only walks.

Back