• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Some harnesses bad for Cavs?

KingstonsMom

I notice how everyone is a big fan of Puppia harnesses. Are other types of harnesses bad? I'm using a regular harness I bought at a local pet shop. I didn't want to order a Puppia until Kingston got a bit bigger. Here is the harness he is currently using:

244844455_2443bfdb65.jpg

Do you think I should get something else?

Yours looks very similar to mine, or should I say Whitneys! and she seems fine with it, we do have a Puppia as well but havn't used it yet....I like the simple step in style harness.

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Looks fine to me too. I use a whole range of harnesses. I like Petedge's step-in harness too -- very cheap, easy to put on -- that's the main one I use for walks, as well as the Sense-ibles on Leo and Jaspar (who pull) as I have to take mine out about 4 times a day and the Puppias are too involved to put on and off so many times. The Puppias fit better if I am taking them to the beach where they will want to run and swim.

I have a supply of Petedge.com step-in harnesses coming now to give to new owners of my rescue cavaliers. Puppias are too expensive to hand out as much as I am sure people would like them :lol: and some of the others available here do not fit very well.

The medium is a good size for most cavaliers. I just made the mistake of ordering the smalls because I forgot my guys use the mediums. I have already given away two of the ones I had for my own dogs with rescues so will collect my replacement order when I am back in the US.

Harness:

tp119_f.jpg

Wow, can you teach my dog to do what that dog in the picture is doing???! LOL.

Thanks for putting my mind to rest about the harness. :)

I don't think there is any real right or wrong answer on this topic (except of course for chokers or something that is known to be bad)

Just keep watching your baby and if they appear comfortable then cool use it, you can always check under the arm pits after your walk too and see if there is any rubbing etc.

Every dog is different with these things, some need support in different areas than others but harnesses are definately better than walking on collars in my opinion, but that is with my 2 in mind who think they are huskies and lunge at anything in our path.

Your baby looks fab in his, I think red is his colour :luv:

Kingston looks cute....King used to have a regular step-in harness then I switched and got him a Puppia harness...I like the way it fits him and its soft for him...

The first harness i got was a black fleece lined one that was apparently really comfortable, and easy to put on him. It was called a Four Paws Safety Harness and it could be clipped to the car seatbelt to secure the dog. The leash clip was on the back. zack pulled really strongly on it, as he did with the collar before i got it. It was like being pulled by a boat on water skiis. Walking up hill was a breeze because he pulled me so strongly. but i was worried about him harming himself by pulling so hard.

One night i was at a free introductory puppy training class at a local pet shop, and another puppy there was wearing an Easy Walker, and i liked the look of it, it looked like a good fit, and its purpose is to discourage pulling beause the leash clips to the front, where the chest is. When the dog pulls, having the leash clipped to the front pulls him off balance a little. A dog can still pull but they don't want to as much. I liked it so much, i bought one at the pet store that night, it wasn't cheap, it was about $24. I've been very pleased with it. I had gotten a Puppia in size small and it was way too small for zack, so i was happy just to stick with the Easy Walker. The bad thing about it is, it's not that easy to put on, it's not very straightforward. It's intellectually challenging. Even though i put it on every day, i still put it on backwards sometimes if i'm not really concentrating. but i like it so much that i don't mind. I have a medium sized Puppia now which i love on Zack, it's comfortable and light and colorful in a ver tasteful way. but for normal walks, i use the Easy Walker. For going to the dog park and making a fashion statement, i will use the Puppia.

Here's the website of the Easy Walker.

Back