• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

problems with bailey

-leah-

bailey and holly are little angels in the house we have no problems with them but as soon as we take the leads out of the drawer all hell breaks loose, bailey yelps and jumps around the place while im putting his lead on, holly gets annoyed with him and she keeps biting him then when we get out the door he barks and barks i hate bringing himfor walks early in the morning at the weekends because he is so loud. once we get going he stops barking but he pulls on the lead, he is so strong we once had a woman walking them while we were away and she refused to walk bailey again because he was so strong. i dont really have the time to bring him to classes because of home work etc... we hve a "no pull" harness and it doesnt make the slightest diffrence. can anybody recommend a different harness or have any advice??? thanks :)

Since he's good in the house, perhaps you could simply put the lead away again if he starts barking. Take Holly out as usual if she's good- and make Bailey understand he'll only get walked if he learns to be quiet? Just an idea.. you could build it up with treats for when he's quiet at the sight of the lead; quiet at being at the door; quiet when he gets out of the house....

Pulling, however, is another thing. I find the Gentle Leader harness is very effective.

Get the sense-ible harness for him:

http://www.puplife.com/dogsupplies/sense.html

Also the problems you are describing will take time and training to overcome -- no easy shortcuts. You need to start by just taking out the leads then when they start in just set them down, ignore the dogs, and go read or do other tasks. Then after a while, casually put the leads back. Repeat many times a day. You want to gradually work to decondition the leads coming out as a signal for misbehaviour and with having an expected result (the desired walk). Also you need to work to train your dogs to look at you, and to be polite and sit and wait for their leads to go on, and to sit and wait for the door to be opened. All these are deconditioning steps that both require obedience and teach self control.

I'd strongly suggest a formal obedience class for each dog as a way of getting the basic grounding so you can work with them at home.

Also I'd suggest walking them eparately so they don;t spur each other into overexcitement. Each dog needs its own separate training through these steps, too -- it is impossible to do two at once. I'd suggest putting one dog in a room while you take the other out and work to train the solo dog to make it to the door without overreacting. If they overreact, then take off the lead and put it away: no walk. You WILL eventually be able to get closer and closer to the door and then out without the overreacting.

The hard thing is that all of this will take, as noted, time, effort and training.

When Kosmo was small he used to freak out before walks a little bit. When he did this I put him in a sit stay and if he moved, he wouldn't get the reward: the walk. I used to do this several times a day until he learned that only if he sits pretty he will get to go outside.

Also when he was really little he pulled on the lead as well. I was told to walk with him and if he pulls then completely stop the walk and say "no pulling!" When they stop pulling and acknowledge you then it's OK to start the walk again. The first time we did this together it took 45 minutes to just walk around the block. The second time it took less and definately by the second week he was really catching on. Now he's pretty good on a lead and only pulls occasionally in which case I still stop and say no pulling. The only difference is now he races back to me and sits down because he thinks he's going to manipulate me into giving him a treat. :roll:

Good luck! :flwr:

You mean these guys are capable of manipulating us?! :D I have to laugh because Jake taps me and makes demands, Shelby makes her demands with her eyes. She'll just sit and stare at you. Jake will give you a little tap on the leg.

:lol:

BTW the Sense-ible harness size small is good for most cavaliers. The extra small will work for a small to medium adult (eg under about 15lbs) but it is really tiny -- I prefered the small as the webbing is wider and it looks more comfortable. When at nearly its smallest setting it fits Leo, who weights 14.5 lbs. There's plenty of expansion room for a larger cavalier.

The problem with Haltis and Gentle Leaders is that many cavaliers do not have enough muzzle for it to work and it just keeps slipping off. Many dog trainers will offer these various harnesses or a very good petshop -- you can have them fitted and see what works (eg if the Halti or Gentle leader will work on a given cavalier).

dog walking

i would try takeing them out on there own and see if its any better maybe time on there own a bit of one to one try it once a day, i have to take mine out on there own 3 times aday so thats 6 walks for me to do unless someone comes with me i know it might sound mad but my dogs have been got at by staffys 3 times so on there own i can pick them up :dgwlk:

I have heard that the sense-ible harness that Karlin mentioned works wonders. It doesn't look like much but the concept is brilliant. If the dog wants to go forward (which they do or else they wouldn't pull in the first place) he/she mustn't pull on the leash...if he/she pulls on the leash then they are turned back towards you...they learn quickly that in order to go forward, they must not pull!

My kennel club swears by this harness. It is simple and does the work for you. Good Luck! :flwr:

Re: dog walking

cavalierlover said:
i know it might sound mad but my dogs have been got at by staffys 3 times so on there own i can pick them up :dgwlk:

:shock: Christine, staffordshire terriers came after your cavaliers? Wow, that would scare me to death! :shock:

Cathy T said:
You mean these guys are capable of manipulating us?! :D I have to laugh because Jake taps me and makes demands, Shelby makes her demands with her eyes. She'll just sit and stare at you. Jake will give you a little tap on the leg.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cathy, you'd never believe it to look at them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charlie jumps up and wallops me with his paw - nothing gentle about him at all :roll: :lol: , Maxx will sit and wait and give me the 'sad eye' and also whinge - guess who always wins - and it's not me.... :roll: icon_whistling.

Christine, one of my old neighbours has a Staffy and he was absolutely petrified of Maxx - he used to hide behind his Mum's legs when he saw us :lol: I'd hate to think what could have happened if he'd been the other way inclined though - I've seen Staffy's jump up and swing from trees and not let go until the branch breaks :yikes

I'm surprised your babies let any other dogs anywhere near them!

cathy

:( where i live i have 6 staffys either side of me and they are not nice they scare me to death now i can no longer enjoy my walks my friends cavalier lost her eye because of one there a nightmare :(

Back