• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Doggy Breath

Teeth cleaning? :D I think there are chews will claim to remove plaque and leave the dog with nice breath.

Don't ask Kosmo about this question LOL! He runs and hides as soon as he sees the toothbrush coming!! lol. I use a vanilla toothpaste for pets from Wal Mart which smells absolutely wonderful.

There are also things like "breath mint" bones for dogs and stuff now too and a mint toy but I have no idea how those work!! :)

Good luck !

I'm surprised that a youngster would have doggy breath...I don't think Kingston is very old?

What are you feeding? Some foods can cause smelly breath...

I have a thumbtoothbrush for holly and meat toothpaste, but have to confess I've never used it. She's always fed on dry food and her favourite toys are all rope based. Plus I check her teeth and breath regularly, and always ask the vet to do so when I'm in- so far, everything good :D The thumb thing does look good though- it's like a rubber thimble with brush things. Actually, now I think of it, a conventional rubber thimble would probably do the job just as well.. :roll:

Bad breath in a young dog isn't very common, as Nicki notes.

Things that can cause it are eating feces (his own, others dogs' or raiding the cat litter). Some types of food. Some medical conditions. Teeth and gum problems, but this usually doesn't affect young dogs.

If you can't pinpoint an immediate source, I'd talk to your vet.

Both of mine have basically "sweet" breath. By that I mean they smell like doggy breath but it's pleasant. They both eat dry kibble (Ca Natural) and plenty of veggies. I don't brush their teeth. I think having a good diet is key to fresh breath. Bad breath signals to me a problem in the mouth. Have you checked with your vet to be sure there is nothing going on in the mouth that would cause this? Oh yeah...their breath is horrible after dinner because they get seameal with their dinner and they smell really fishy right after. But it goes away within an hour.

Nicki said:
I'm surprised that a youngster would have doggy breath...I don't think Kingston is very old?

What are you feeding? Some foods can cause smelly breath...

Kingston is just a puppy. His five-month-old birthday is tomorrow! I only give him his dog food (Eukanuba), Milk Bone dog biscuits, and Charlee Bears (egg & cheese flavor). I think it might be his dog food that's giving him bad breath.

I'm going to start brushing his teeth. I was just wondering if anyone used doggie mints or other products that they like. I even saw something similar to Listerine strips for dogs!

I've been brushing Coco's teeth with a mint flavored doggie toothpaste and she actually loves it! She gets so excited when the tube is coming out of the cupboard- she loves the toothpaste. I have to stop her from licking the toothpaste before we start to clean her teeth! :roll:
I am sure this will keep Kingston's breath fresh!

I think it could be his food.

Charlie has multiple allergies and when I read up on them on a drug company website it states that an allergy to food storage mites (found in dry food) can cause bad breath.

As his symptoms were extremely bad (he's on immuno suppressants and about to start immuno therapy injections) my Vet also suggested changing his food from dry food to wet food.

I've done this and his breath now smells like normal sweet dog breath - if you get my meaning.

Before I changed him over, his breath was so bad that I would heave when I got a whiff of it :yuk:

Back