Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: questions about training classes

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa - I definitely agree you should wait a week or so. Give her time to get used to you. I loved the e-mail you received. He sounds like a great person and has a wonderful sense of humor. Not sure what the "cocktail-party effect" means...I don't get out much
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it takes at least a week, maybe more, for the immune response provoked by vaccinations to become effective, depending on the vaccine. there is reason for uncertainty as to whether vaccinations are effective in puppies because if the timing is not right, the temporary immunity they get from their mother's antibodies blocks the effect of the vaccination, and as a result, puppies can end up unprotected yet the assumption is made that they are protected because the effect of maternal immunity has not been accounted for. Again, it depends on the timing of the shots. I've read that that's generally why they give a series of shots rather than just one, even though theoretically it only takes one to provoke an immune response. By giving a series, the problem of maternal immunity preventing the vaccine effect can best be worked around.

that class sounds really good!

Post Thanks / Like

That class does sound lovely! It's very nice that they took the time to write an extensive, personal note rather than simply spout off the times and details.

I would wait a week, too. Not only will the pup just have its vacs, it will need time to get used to you! A week of feeding it and loving on it will help you establish a trusting relationship, so that when you go into a room with a bunch of strange dogs and people the pup knows that you're a friend.

When my Cedar was a pup, she was picky about treats. We eventually found that Cherrios worked. She was so small, though, that I would break them into quarters, and she just got a little tidbit during training. (You want a treat that the dog can just taste but doesnt have to chew a lot. The chewing takes time and removes the dog's attention from you!)

I'll be interested to hear how your class goes!
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the chewing was an issue. Holly can be wild for it, so I break things up very small for her, even though she's an adult. Schmackos work quite well for that as they're so easy to break up, but I've kinda lost faith in Pedigree Chum. I bought some Nature's Menu? chicken treats- they claim to be 98% meat, and they're small to begin with and can be broken smaller still. Will these upset a small pup? I know you're not supposed to feed puppy food, but what about treats formulated for pups? Does the same embargo apply?

I'm definitely waiting for the week.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Lisa,

Whilst I am off work this week I'm gonna cook up some of Nikki's liver recipe as although Oakley is a greedy monster he doesn't seem as enthusiastic about Bakers Nibbles as Merlin. Merlin does like liver as Jack his austrailian sheedog friend's mum gives this to them both and he likes Veronica more than me on a Thursday!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmum
    Hi Lisa,

Whilst I am off work this week I'm gonna cook up some of Nikki's liver recipe as although Oakley is a greedy monster he doesn't seem as enthusiastic about Bakers Nibbles as Merlin. Merlin does like liver as Jack his austrailian sheedog friend's mum gives this to them both and he likes Veronica more than me on a Thursday!
    That dried liver works great for training

Post Thanks / Like

Me? Cook raw meat from scratch? Especially red raw meat...eeeek! Um, when I first had Holly, she was fed on those raw meat patty things. I bottled out and switched to dry. I couldn't handle handling all that raw meat. I never do, even for myself- the only raw meat I ever touch is sometimes chicken and VERY occassionally bacon. Even then I prefer it already cooked or roasted!! I'd love to get the liver treats, but I'd prefer a version that's dry/non-greasy on the fingers/ as natural as possible ... What can I say? I'm a wimp.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lisa, your post made me laugh!!!

You sound just like me. I never cook raw meat. Maybe sometimes I'll reheat an already cooked chicken breast. Never with bones though ...

There are lots of varieties of dehydrated liver treats in the UK - do they have any off-the-shelf, non-raw-meat varieties that you can get at pet shops in the UK and Ireland?
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ooops ... it is late here ... I meant there are lots of varieties of dehydrated liver in the US ... I don't know about the UK and Ireland which is why I was asking.

I lived in London for a while but didn't have a dog then.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. You can get liver flavoured, but I've been bitten by the natural bug. Unless it involves me doing something complex. I'm the same with chicken Lani- I'll happily cook veggie based pasta dishes and add that ready cooked roast chicken- the stuff that's in chunks of chicken breast for sandwiches. Touch anything with bones? Nup. Ain't going there. I always say I'mn really a vegetarian- I can eat meat and fish so long as I can pretend it grows on the shelf in the supermarket.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years