Just checking in to say hello to everyone. I've been off the radar for a bit as I recently started a new job, and we've added a new addition to our family--my niece has moved in with us as she's going back to school. Along with Gus starting classes again, it's been very busy few months! I'm happy to see Karlin has added even more moderators as this board is growing like crazy! Welcome to all the new members!!
Also, just a word of caution about poison. It's fall in the midwest now and a common time of year for poisons to be used--to stop mice from coming in the house. We've found 4 dead mice in our yard in the past week, and today Gus got to one of them. I turned away for a second, and by the time I had him in my sight again, he had a foot and tail tangling out of his mouth. Of course he's learned to gulp whatever he has when he sees us coming at him, which he did. I called our vet, who instructed us to use 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide (for a 13 lb puppy). It worked within minutes, the mouse came up looking just like it had going in. I watched him closely for the rest of the afternoon, and then fed him this evening. He seems to be back to normal, but it really scares me to think what could have happened. Tomorrow I'm going to speak to the neighbor whom I suspect is using some type of poison.