• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello and a word of caution

Jen

Just checking in to say hello to everyone. I've been off the radar for a bit as I recently started a new job, and we've added a new addition to our family--my niece has moved in with us as she's going back to school. Along with Gus starting classes again, it's been very busy few months! I'm happy to see Karlin has added even more moderators as this board is growing like crazy! Welcome to all the new members!!

Also, just a word of caution about poison. It's fall in the midwest now and a common time of year for poisons to be used--to stop mice from coming in the house. We've found 4 dead mice in our yard in the past week, and today Gus got to one of them. I turned away for a second, and by the time I had him in my sight again, he had a foot and tail tangling out of his mouth. Of course he's learned to gulp whatever he has when he sees us coming at him, which he did. :yikes I called our vet, who instructed us to use 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide (for a 13 lb puppy). It worked within minutes, the mouse came up looking just like it had going in. :yikes I watched him closely for the rest of the afternoon, and then fed him this evening. He seems to be back to normal, but it really scares me to think what could have happened. Tomorrow I'm going to speak to the neighbor whom I suspect is using some type of poison.

Oh gosh that is so scary! Bad for the mice AND the dogs!!! I hate seeing poison used. Glad that Gus is OK.

I'm glad Gus is okay! Can't hardly blame him from mousing, but I would have been a wreck knowing one of my dogs swallowed a whole mouse, let alone a poisoned one! I'm glad he successfully ... uh.... returned the mouse in its original condition. :S

This morning when we let the dogs out I had them both on leash (we have a fenced yard) as I wasn't sure what we'd find. They found yet another dead mouse. It's dark out, but with the security light I could see Gus trying to pick it up. He dropped it when I started screaming...maybe he remembered how fun it was to vomit after the last one. :roll:
We need to talk to the neighbors again to make sure they've picked up whatever it is they put down. This is getting ridiculous. :x

Back