Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umbilical Hernia vs. Inguinal Hernia

Post Thanks / Like

All hernias should be monitored if they aren't fixed (unless they close). Our 1st male cavalier had an inguinal hernia that closed on its own before he was 12 weeks old. We haven't had any with any type of hernia since. Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

hey there! Ruby is absolutely gorgeous!!

i agree with the statement that the hernia should be closely montiored if not fixed as problems can occur later on..

i had a bit of a situation with one of my pups - Milo - on the way back from picking him up from the breeders i noticed a lump on his stomach that i hadnt noticed before (on top of that he was having a dream at that moment and was making strange noises) and was freaking out because i had no idea what the lump was and thought it was something dangerous happeing 2 him now as i had never seen it b4 (dont blame me i was young and naive then )..i went straight away to the vet and they told me it was an umbilical hernia - nothing to worry about like most other hernias - but she said i should monitor it incase it grew larger as thats when problems can occurr...
    after i found out this i was a bit angry with the breeder for not telling me earlier about this so i didnt worry - i thought i had found a good breeder that i could trust but i dont know maybe she thought it was no big a deal or sumthing. it was written on his papers of course but still...
    anyway usually most people (like me) get rid of the hernia when the pup is getting neutered however the vet said it was no big deal. anyway keep us updated!
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

ok after reading that post i realised it made no sense at all ...i really should proof-read before submitting!! just excuse my hard-to-understand post!
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nisha
    ok after reading that post i realised it made no sense at all ...i really should proof-read before submitting!! just excuse my hard-to-understand post!
    Not all all. I understood everything you said perfectly fine! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.
    VERONICA
    Mom to our precious little girl "Gingerbread" born on 8/13/2006
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful little girl..... aahhhh I remember when my Woody was that small.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Veronica,

Aw, Ruby is such a little cutie-pie! I wish my Charlie was that little again.

I wanted to say hello, and welcome you to the forum! I'm sure you've already found that there is so much helpful information and everyone is also very nice & sweet and informative!

You are not alone; my little one has a very small umbilical hernia and is scheduled to get it repaired in a couple of weeks from now (he will be 6 months old then) along w/ getting nuetered.

Veronica, the very best thing is for you to receive a Vet's opinion on Ruby's hernia. I'm sure your mind will be put much more at ease then, and you can make an educated decision on how to properly handle this.

Well, best of luck w/ everything!

BTW: Where are you from in OC? I'm originally from Ventura County! (Oxnard)

Brenda
    Charlie (Cav - 11 Mos.) and Michi (Siamese -12 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all... The visit to the vet went pretty well I think... My breeder told me that the vet took didn't think of it as a big deal and just asked to make sure we treat this problem when we have Ginger spayed...

When I went to visit her last weekend she was eating well and was so playful with her brother and sister.. They were playing "hide and seek" with each other omg it was so cute.... I think I'm in love.

BTW I decided to change her name from "ruby" to "ginger" -- the fact that "ruby" is a term for one of Cav colors (that is not even her color, she's blenheim) didn't sit well with me... I definitely love the new name and it so fits her!
    VERONICA
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda
    Hi Veronica,

BTW: Where are you from in OC? I'm originally from Ventura County! (Oxnard)

Hi Brenda, thanks for you kind welcome. I hope the surgery goes well with your puppy. I live in South Orange County -- the city's called Las Flores and it's very close to Mission Viejo.
    VERONICA

Post Thanks / Like

Of mine, only Izzy, who's nine, has a hernia and he's never had any trouble with it. The vet said leave it be, but check to make sure no intestine gets into the bulge, because that would mean trouble.

The little bump was actually quite useful, a few months ago, because it filled with fluid, so we knew that Izzy needed 'water tablets' to hep his heart problem.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.