• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

daisy went out for first time today!

emmawright

Today we let Daisy out into our garden! She was so excited and was running about everywhere! She has now tired herself out and is fast asleep! She was very good outside but the only thing i was a bit nervous about was some small stones she kept picking up! She was easily entertained with all the leaves we have in our garden at the moment! I also put the lead onto her collar today... which she didn't like, but she has to get used to it! I am not sure how i am going to get on with the lead as she was really pulling on it and hated it! Any tips? I am also now trying to get her to wee outside instead of going on the wee pads indoors, but that too is proving a challenge!

I'd recommend a harness rather than a collar for walks -- pulling at the neck for small breed dogs casn cause tracheal damage. Many vets (including mine) say small breeds are much better walked on harnesses and for puppies, it makes them much easier to pick up quickly in case of danger such as an aggressive larger dog.

Trouble is finding a harness small enough for those first few weeks?

I do have a puppy harness- the lead that comes with it is fantastic, but the harness part really puzzles me. I grabbed it at show on Sat and didnt check the closures. Right now, it seems you kinda have to strangle the pup to get the thing on and off and thats not really an option! Heres hoping my pup grows large enough to wear her small size puppia sooner rather than later. Although I think my gentle leader harness might be adjustable to the pups size but that would be a pain since i use it for Holly.

I took away a good sized rock from Elvis this afternoon. I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have been able to swallow it...and that's what worries me. I wouldn't have even noticed if it weren't for Beauregard trying to take it away from him! :sl*p:

KC

the first time i put a leash on zack, the same thing happened, he sat down and refused to come with me, he pulled against the leash. I foud myself dragging him. that wasn't how it was supposed to be. I ended up picking him up and putting him in the shopping cart (we were in a big pet store).

This was easily solved. I had a book at home called Puppy Preschool and it advised to take the puppy out on the leash but don't force her to go anywhere. Wait for her to walk, then go the same way she goes, you can even throw a toy for her to chase and just go with her while holding the lead. let her be the leader, make it fun, avoid any unpleasant struggles.

Do it for a short time, and do it again the next time, later in the day. Let her wear the leash around the house, as long as she's supervised and can't get tangled up or hung, let her get used to it, and let her learn that it's fun when you hold the leash and she is on the end of it. by the second or third day or sooner, she'll start walking the same way you are walking, you invite her to come with you while you hold the leash. There's no need to pull her, and it doesn't work to do that anyway. The book said in a day or so, he would be willingly walking on the leash, and that was what happened.

i use an Easy Walker harness, it clips in the front which greatly reduces the degree to which a dog can pull forward, compared to a clip on their back which they love to pull against. On the front, when they pull, it pulls them off balance a little, and that causes them to not pull or to pull less. I believe they have an extra small size, but you'd have to measure, and maybe call them and ask.

:dgwlk:

I have an EasyWalker harness already- it's a small size, so I could use it in a pinch. Just wasn't sure about using it on a young puppy?

harness

i went and bought daisy a XS harness and lead this morning, i have just put it on her and she got on fine with it - it is so much better. i am very impressed! she was so much happier with a harness, i won't use a collar again!!

260575894_9542324849.jpg

260575897_d11dad2e06.jpg

I would still keep her collar on due to the name tag (did you get her chipped also) on but do not use it for walks.. If you move the wee mats slowly to door and then out it normally works.

Back