• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

OMG just found out what bully sticks are

when i picked zack up to bring him home the first time, he was carrying around a bullly stick that was as long as he was, he and another pup were playing tug o war with it. Hillary, the woman i got him from, told me what it was. what a crack up. so that's one of the things i bought at the pet store on the way home. Same size as hers. i never cut it up because he liked it big, apparently.

There was no smell at all. He chewed it almost constantly. I got a few more because sometimes things get lost. I got different sizes. then, one day i smelled something foul. It was one of the bully sticks. I consulted with cavaliertalk and learned that they often smell. but not always. so i had been lucky in the beginning. But then, i tried a couple more and they smelled bad too. The age of Innocence was over. i asked the lady at the pet store and she said it depended on the batch. They sell them loose in a bulk bin. So, that was one of the reasons i stopped getting bully sticks. the smell was unbearable.

when i first got zack, i was ambivalent about his kissing, he was pretty intense, going right for the mouth--the INSIDE of the mouth. :grnyuk:
while Belle, the other cavalier in my life, had gentler kisses, friendly but not pushy. More to the side of the mouth or on the cheek, or only gently on the lips. I wondered if Zack could be trained to kiss more like Belle. i did love dog kisses, but not quite as penetrating as zack. I didn't want to rebuff him, but i felt a bit violated. :shock:

I don't know if he has changed or i have, but his kisses are fine with me now. i adore them.

The worst time he ever kissed me was once when i smelled the smell of poop on his breath. I didn't know what it was at the time, it never occured to me that he would eat his own poop. But he was just about to be neutered and i told the vet i hadn't seen any poop in the yard the lastt day or so, and she said he could be eating it. and then i remembered the inexplicable poop smell on his breath the day before. :yikes

but that only happened that one time. Normally, he has no bad breath smell, his breath smells fine, a mild dog smell i dont' even notice, sometimes he has the smell of Merricks Lamb Filet treats on his breath.

I was reading in a book called something like How to Speak Dog by behaviorist Stanley Coren about different behaviors dogs have, and what he thinks they mean, and he was talking about when they lick you and we think of it as kissing, and he relates it to when puppies are born and their mamas lick off the afterbirth and then lick them all over to keep them clean, she licks their little butts and private parts and cleans off their poop, just like humans change their babies' diapers,, that's how dogs keep their babies clean, she licks their ears and nose and mouth, and keeps them healthy and it's a very nurturing manner in whicih she does it, what we would call affectionate, and so to puppies and dogs, licking the private parts, even licking off you know what from the private parts, is a gesture of affection or nurturing, or some kind of socially positive gesture. Since i read that, i see things a little differently when Zack seems so compelled to try to put his nose in Fluffy's butt and he would lick it if i didn't command him to stop everytime i see it. Because after all, i let him lick my face and lips so i have to draw the line somewhere....
:d*g: :c*t: :lpy: :flwr:

donna--the video was wonderful. I have had a no good very bad day, and that video was just what i needed--along with some of Zack's sweet ardent kisses. :l*v:

One of the dog trainers here told me recently that licking releases endorphines in a dog's brain which makes them feel good and can calm them down.

A dogs lick has antisceptic on it! :lol: ill definitely that to anyone who questions me about the dog licking my face!

Aww! that picture of Ella is so cute!! :flwr:

It's very nice to lay on the sofa, Bono licking your face...
Than peace is over. Nóra jumps up and want to snog to. And her kisses are not gentle and small like Bonos. Oh, no. Her big tonges lickes your whole face at a time, it'slike to go on a carwashing station! :lol:

Cathy T said:
I never thought this would be me...but I love to have my pups smother me in bed in the morning. As Lucy from Peanuts would say ...dog germs, blach!!! Now, I love nothing more. And don't tell hubby but we all three did share a popsicle the other day! I know that would gross him out.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone but whenever I treat myself to an ice cream, it's always shared with my boys :oops: :lol:

I guess we should be happy our Saints aren't kissy. :yuk:

Only one of of them is slobbery, but somehow it's just not as cute when they weigh a couple hundred pounds as it is with a Cavalier. Both Beau and Elvis are kissers. One at a time they're not too bad...but when they're both kissing you at the same time it's a competition! :lol:

KC

you know.. i was sick when this topic was posted and never got a chance to read it. . .

:grnyuk: That's all i have to say!! I think you ruined my whole month, LOL.

I always wondered why bully sticks smelled so foul all the time. Kosmo would get the smelliest breath after eating them too so I stopped buying them...

Now to find out what they are... :grnyuk:

And 36 inches?! I've seen them that long in the stores.. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

I do have to admit how hillarious it would be to see Kos trying to walk around with a 36 inch stick in his mouth. I got a 2 foot one once and tried cutting it for about 15 mins and then gave up, lol. He ran through the house and would hit it on the doorways and such, lol. I eventually just threw it away. It smelled AWFUL!

I never give my boys bulls' pizzles, pigs' ears or cow's hooves. They are bit too personal anyway, but a vet told me that they can be a source of infection, particularly as some are processed in countries that don't have health regulations for pet foods.

Ive never given things like these either...but I know Whitney had one last week when at Donnas and enjoyed it :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

And as for having a kiss :yikes after eating one of them...NO WAY!

I don't think I could pick anything like that up! :lol:

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

This is a funny topic...
I've always wondered how "kissy" other cavs are. Coco goes crazy kissing some people, but she is pretty calm around others. She HAS to kiss my mom when she is sitting in her lap. :lol: She thoroughly licks her whole face, ears, nose, (INSIDE her nose! :yuk: ), everywhere. If my mom tries to look away, or gently tells her to stop, she makes this crying noise that we never hear from her at any other time. Isn't that weird?!

I've never given Coco any bully sticks either, but she is still pretty young. I was thinking about giving her bully sticks after hearing that many people on the board do- and it seems like a reasonable alternative to rawhide or other bones or pig's ears. I'm not sure I'll be able to take the smell :grnyuk: though! Coco is a BIG kisser too. :yikes As Barbara Nixon briefly mentioned, does anyone know if they are a source of bacteria? How do they package them or process them so that they are kept relatively clean? I hope you don't mind me asking this question in your thread!!

Barbara Nixon said:
I never give my boys bulls' pizzles, pigs' ears or cow's hooves. They are bit too personal anyway, but a vet told me that they can be a source of infection, particularly as some are processed in countries that don't have health regulations for pet foods.

That's why you need to be careful to only buy good quality ones that are processed and packaged in your own country :D

Alison_Leighfield said:
I don't think I could pick anything like that up! :lol:

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Guess what the girls are getting for Xmas then ? Hahahahahahaha :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Back