• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Holly the First- 25/12/88?-August 1992

Lisa_T

I didn't know whether to post this; this particular loss is fourteen years past. I've always loved dogs- and after we'd owned, loved and lost a little Border Terrier when I very small child (name Sam- my clearest memory is singing to the little blighter early one morning 'Away in a Manger', I think, and the blasted dog howling along with me! :badgrin: ) my parents finally caved in and got us (read, me) a second dog.

She was a surprise. I was reading- as usual- and my mum told me to put the book down 'cos they had something to tell us... and then they announced that we were going to drive to Carrickfergus to look at a dog! She was six months old, and a black and white (we didn't know the term 'Blue Roan' at that stage) Cocker Spaniel. I was overjoyed; I'd spent some of the summer walking a friend's black Cocker -Trixie. I remember shaking the whole drive to Carrick!
When we were shown in we saw a small mainly black girl curled on the rug. She was shy, and remained so for exactly two days. On the third morning, I came down early. My dad had let Holly in as he was studying, and when Holly saw me.... it was my first taste of a true spaniel greeting. My brother dubbed it the 'wacky races'.

Holly and I bonded closely from then on. I used to take a rather evil delight in giving my younger brother Holly's lead, running off a good 20 metres in the opposite direction, and then calling for Holly- knowing she'd come full pelt, probably dragging my unfortunate brother behind her! Luckily, he loved her too- although that didn't stop her from getting revenge on him. He'd been mock wrestling her one day, and then stopped to laugh at her. Holly- I swear this was deliberate- backed about 3-4 metres away from him, eying him carefully all the while, and ran at him. She put her all her weight behind her front paws, which landed on my bro's shoulders. He was kneeling down and was small for his age so- kersplat. I nearly had hysterics laughing.

After about a year, we decided to move to Australia for a time. Originally, the idea was to take Holly with us, but my parents decided against it because of the expense. We cried and cried. We decided to leave her with my uncle and aunt. As it happened, the postulated 3-5 year stay in Oz turned to 18 months and we were home again. In the meantime, my uncle and family had moved to Co.Fermanagh.

A few weeks after we got home, we went to see them. I remember the car going into the driveway and Holly barking like crazy- and she stopped as soon as I got out of the car and went crazy to get close to me instead. She had always been, first and foremost, my dog. For the rest of our visit, she refused to leave my side.

The following weekend my uncle phone to say Holly had been killed on the road. I don't need to tell anyone here how devastated I was. I never forgot her; eleven years later when I got my next dog, my beloved Cav girl, I named her 'Holly' in memory of my first Holly-dog. My parents still use that phrase 'Holly-dog' both to my present Holly and for a number of other things. I never do. 'Holly-dog' was my pet name for my first Holly, and to me, it's sacred to her. Holly II has plenty of pet names of her own!

So, finally, I'll dedicate this post to the memory of my darling and only Holly-dog, and also to Sam, the little Border Terrier I remember so faintly. He, too, was killed on the road.

And my parents call me paranoid!
:roll:
I'll post a pic of Holly I when I get it on the pc!

Holly-dog sounds like she was just an absolute joy. I so enjoyed reading about her. I didn't grow up with dogs so never had that wonderful experience. I got such a kick out of how you would torment your brother. Now...I did grow up with 3 youngers brothers so that I could relate to!

Thanks for sharing your memories. I love she has remained so dear to you all these years later.

Lisa--what a great story, you told it so well, it was like being there and seeing your poor brother go kersplat. :lol: a sad story, when holly dog had to be left behind, and then her tragic death. you give a fine tribute. i will love to see a picture of her. my first dog, teddy (a cocker mix), was killed by a car on the road too, in 1963 when she was 5. it will always hurt of course, i hope i see her again in another place and time...
thank you for sharing holly dog.

Thank you for sharing your tribute to Holly-dog. I really enjoyed reading it ... she sounds like an amazing and loving companion for you growing up.

While Holly's tragic death is horrible, I am so happy that your stay in Australia got cut short and so you could arrive home in time to spend one last special day with Holly by your side. I'm sure that visit will always hold very special memories for you. :flwr:

It certainly does, but naturally they're rather bittersweet. Glad you people enjoyed the stories- might have got carried away slightly. When I'm not lurking here, I can occassionally be found posting stories in fanfiction.net :D

Holly I was very sweet- to me. She was an angel at being groomed too, I remember. Shame her namesake didn't inherit that quality along with the name. :roll:

Thanks for the comments!

Lisa, Holly dog sounds just like an 'angel on the earth' (one destined not to have a long life) as she was so full of love and affection.

I'm so glad you got the chance to have cuddles with her before she was taken by the angels, there is nothing worse than losing one of our beloved furries. We lost our darling GSD about 10 years ago yet I still get upset when I see one that looks like her.

Big hugs to you :flwr:

Thanks for sharing Holly's story. They stay in our hearts forever don't they??

Holly Dog

Lisa,

I love your stories. That was wonderful, a fitting tribute to Holly Dog.
My cousin had a dog name Joe, we referred to him as Joe Dog.

(((hugs))))
Joanne

Back