• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm Freaking Out!

KingstonsMom

Kingston was scratched in the eye by a cat while we were at a friend's house last night. I didn't even know it happened until I heard him screaming and crying out. It was past 11 at night, so I decided to wait until the vet opens at 7:30am to take him in. But during the night I could tell he was uncomfortable and his eye looked gooey so I took him to the Emergency Vet Clinic. I just got back, and I ended up having to leave him there. Coming back without my dog was the worst feeling in the world.

They have to stain his eye to see what damage has been done. The opthamologist won't be in for about 2 hours so I have to go back then. I'm so scared he's going to lose his eye or need surgery. I'll never forgive myself.

Poor Kingston and poor you! :( It's good that he'll be seen by an ophthamologist in a short time. He's in the best place he can be right now. I hope the waiting time goes as fast as possible for you. Please keep us updated on how he's doing. We're sending positive thoughts your way! :flwr:

Poor Kingston - Busta got hit in the eye by Casper Darrens mum's cat... it become gooey too, we took him to the vets in the morning though, they put the dye in and there was a small tiny scratch on the eye surface, gave him injection and synolox tablets and a cream which we had to use twice daily..... which is the same stuff Ozzy is on at the moment. Let us know any news, it should be okay our vet says that many puppies come in with kitten/cat scratches to the eye.

eye

my cat scratced my dogs eye and it went a cloudy colour it did look bad we went to the vets and he had a ulcer on it but with eye drops it cleared up after 2 weeks he dosent go near the cat now :winkct:

:cry*ing: I am so so sorry, I hope Kingston will be okay.
Sorry I am not fond of cats, had a really bad scare when I was young and it has stayed with me through my Adult years.

I am also very nervous of the damage they can do to the eyes if they have claws.
Our neighbor has a cat and it practically lives outside, it drives Dudley absolutely nuts, Dudley is forever sticking his head under the fence and I am terrified that he is going to also get scratched one day.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing, will keep everything crossed he is okay.

Ooooh, poor little guy :(

I'm sure they'll take good care of him and get him fixed back up soon. There's not much they can't fix these days! I'm just sorry Kingston has to go through this.

I've caught flack from family/friends about de-clawing my cats, and our kitten just got done last week, but this just reinforces my decision. Especially with a puppy coming into the house!

(((Healing vibes))) to Kingston, and a hug for mom :hug:

Healing vibes to Kingston!

I know eyes are supposed to heal quickly in humans, hopefully this is the case with dogs!

Robbie had a puncture wound to his eye which took awhile to clear up but it did..his probably took along time because that eye also does not produce tears..it never slowed him down a bit.

If it's any consolation I think you're going to hear a lot of these stories. You aren't alone. Jake got his eye scratched by our cat when he was just a few months old. After a couple of hours I noticed he was having a problem opening his eye. Immediately took him to ER. The cat had scratched his cornea (vet said it was good the cornea was not actually punctured). Came home with antibiotics and drops for a couple of weeks. It healed perfectly with no lasting problems. Everyone said "I'll bet her leanred his lesson" ....nope, he was still very interested in playing with KT. KT has since passed away (she had lymphoma and we knew she didn't have long) and we waited to get Shelby so we didn't have to deal with this problem.

Hope he's okay. Let us know.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It truly helps me through this.

I just came back from the Pet Hospital. Kingston is in the hands of a certified animal opthamologist who works exclusively with eyes. It turns out that Kingston's cornea was punctured. The doctor does not think the lens has been damaged, which is good news. However, the hole in the cornea has to be repaired through surgery. Kingston will have the surgery this afternoon and if all goes well I can pick him up tomorrow morning.

I hope I'm making the right choices here. I felt confident in this doctor (I usually get bad vibes from vets, but not this time). The cornea basically has a hole in it, and I don't see how there is any other option but to surgically stitch it back up.

They let me spend a few minutes alone with Kingston before I left him. He just licked my face and cuddled in my arms and let out the biggest sigh. I couldn't help but burst into tears. Please pray that his beautiful little eye (the one you can see in my avatar) will be okay.

It sounds like he is in very good hands, but I know the whole thing has to be very disconcerting. How unfortunate that that happened :(

Thoughts and prayers with your little boy, and hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Please keep us posted! :hug:

Maxx also suffered at the claws of a cat :( He was extremely lucky not to lose his eye as the claw punctured it and also went through the lens. His eyeball was pouring with blood :yikes . Opthamologists can do wonders you know and though it took six months of treatment for Maxx's eye to heal and he has a 'cloudy' eye, he is fine now.

Please try and keep your spirits up, thinking of you and little Kingston xxxxx

Chester and I will keep our fingers and paws crossed for Kingston's full receovery! I'm really sorry this happened to your baby and it just makes me like cats even less than I already do.

Sorry if I offend the nice cats out there, but the majority of cats I and Chester have ever met have been grumpy, defensive curmudgeons. I jsut wish I could meet a nice sweet kitty that didn't want to claw the crap out of my dog and then perhaps I would start to warm to the feline species.

Best of luck to you and give Kingston kisses from me and Chester!

How scary for you but I feel sure he'll be okay. Good thing you took him to an opthamologist!!! We'll be praying for him tonight. I know it just breaks your heart doesn't it? Both of mine have been through serious surgeries and it was so terrifying. They both came through them just fine though. I cried...mostly with relief...when I got to bring him home. Try to get some rest so you can spent your time canoodling with him when you bring him home. Hugs!

And poor Maxxy baby. Must have scared you to death Donna!

Hugs to you and Kingston. Good thing you took him to the vet. We will say a prayer for you both.

God Bless little Kingston and mom too! I know it must be heartwrenching to leave your baby but you are doing everything you can for the little guy. He's fortunate to have such a caring mom, sometimes accidents happen :( I'm praying that he's better soon!

Back