• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

are they all like that?

varja

I have a stupid question. Annie loves people, everybody, if she knows them for 5 minutes or her lifetime. And she cant be alone. well, I can live her alone, but when I am at home, she can˝t play on her own, or sleep, she must share everything with me. my friend tells me, that it is my fault, because when she was little she was cuddling a lot and was almost all the time with me. but if I didnt let her on the bed or was ignoring her she has been whining. and she could whine for 2 hours! because I always ignore her when she is beging for something.

well, maybe she is spoiled , but I know other dogs and their owners also took them to bed or wanted to cuddle the dogs but they didnt want to.

Are your cavies like this? so depending on you and loving all living things?

I must say, it is anoying and I dont like it so much... and I feel sorry for Annie because she is so unhapy when I live the room or go out.

i leave daisy on her own sometimes, but not all the time. when i do she will whine a little bit, but then she will stop. i leave her for sometimes up to 2 hours, but not much longer than that. i think we have been lucky with daisy as when i get back into the house, she has either been playing with her toys or fast asleep! but if i am sitting on the bed and she is on the floor then she doesn't like that! she will whine till i put her on the bed with me! but i think that is cavaliers ?? they are a cuddley breed who like to be with people a lot of the time. i have found that if i put daisy in the utility room (with a dog gate on it) then she hates it and will whine a lot, but if i put her in the kitchen and close the kitchen door then she doesn't mind that so much. i think she feels like she is being shut away too much in the utility, so i let her have the run of our kitchen. my cav is dependant on me and she loves to meet all people, which is a good thing.

when you leave a room where do you put her? in a big room, with toys ? where does she sleep at night time? cos if she sleeps with you in the bedroom then that would probably make her more dependant on you, daisy sleeps in the kitchen.

Hate to tell you this but Annie sounds like a typical Cavalier. Whenever I desribe the breed to someone I explain that they must be with you. They are velcro dogs and will become your shadow. I leave a room and Jake follows me. He doesn't want anything from me...he just has to be in the same room with me. This is why I've explained these are not good dogs for people who come home from work and think they will walk in the door, put down their stuff, go pour a glass of wine and turn on the computer. They live to be with you. Shelby is a bit more independent.

I have no words of advice but just wanted you to know that this is typical Cavalier behavior.

yep, i agree with cathy, they like to be with people. if i go in a room, she will always follow me, even if i have a bath she will sit and wait for me ! they are proper lap dogs!

so she is a real cavie. I was worried that there si something wrong or that I spoiled her to much. :D

She sleeps on the couch in my bedroom and in the morning I call her and she comes to cuddle for about 1 hour in to my bed. I cant sleep with her in my bed all night, because she would like to sleep on me and I cant sleep then.

Well, maybe she is just a little to self centered ('???). she always thinks that she must be in the centre when somebody comes to visit or if we go somewhere.

But she is very sweet. Sometimes she drives me crazy, but I really love her.

OH, I can live her alone for 8 hours and she has her toys and my 2 cats to play. and in that time she isnt barking or whining ( I asked my neighbours).

Hey she is good, she doesn't sleep on the bed, I have three on the bed.... Cavaliers are people dogs and want to meet everything and anyone.... Busta stands in front of people wagging his tail to be stroked!!! Woody and Ozzy are a bit more reserved but that is because they are standing by me.

Busta always makes a song and dance about me leaving - but I know that as soon as I am gone his is up on the sofa asleep, try leaving her for 10 minutes - ignore her if she whines - then treat her when you let her in , then increase it - I would put lots of play things in a small area, like a kong filled with something, radio playing, etc. to see if this takes her mind off you being not there.

That clingingness doesn't seem to happen as much in multi dog households. I sleep with 3-7 cavaliers-- this morning I had two sleeping ON me. No wonder I feel like this :slp:

There's a fine line between the clingy cav to a cav who is experiencing separation anxiety.

While cavaliers love people and want to be around people whenever they are nearby, a cavalier should still be able to be left without getting anxious.

If your cavalier cries for two hours while you are gone, it could be experiencing separation anxiety. There are strategies and techniques to overcome this unhealthy dependency. I'm sure if you do a search on the board you will find some tips.

She sounds like a typical Cavalier to me. Also, if you leave her alone for 8 hours, that's an awful long time to her and she's probably clionging to you even more as she misses you so much. Could you not get someone to pop in halfway through the day for an hour or so?

Cavaliers are people dogs and tbh I couldn't imagine either of mine liking being left for 8 hours. I went out today and they were on their own for about 2 hours max - I was almost eaten alive when i got hime :lol:

Holly is similar- I understand that the problem is not that you can't leave her alone, it's just she must be with you when you ARE at home... Holly's angelic when I say 'I'm going out' or 'Bedtime!' - both times she hops into bed. But if I'm actually in the house and watching telly, she's not impressed if I try to confine her. Oddly, if I'm moving about doing things, she'll follow me for a while, and then get bored and either sit on the landing (if I'm upstairs), play with her toys (if they're in the hall) or go to her bed or the sofa (depending on whether the telly's on. Like others have said, clinginess is a cavalier trait. Maybe you could work on a phrase that Annie knows means that you want to be alone, or doing something, but you won't be long? Holly can differentiate between 'I'm going out, I'll be back soon' and 'I'll be back in a minute.' Catchphrases can work :D

cavs

:l*v: molly loves everyone if someone comes in and sit down she is there if they ignore her she will get on the couch and paw them untill they say hello she also sleeps on my bed but it has to be on my pillows so in the morning my head is pushed of while she is spread out on them she is such a sweet girl,charlie will only greet my mum and sleeps under the bed he is the quieter one :paw:

I think your kiddo sounds pretty normal. Cupcake falls in love with everyone she meets though it seems I'm her special person because she will follow me from room-to-room and insists on sitting upon my lap whenever I'm not in a standing position. :)

When I am home my pups all follow me from room-to-room-to-room all day long - until they get sleepy and crash out on the couch for a little while. :)

Lisa_T said:
I understand that the problem is not that you can't leave her alone, it's just she must be with you when you ARE at home... Holly's angelic when I say 'I'm going out' or 'Bedtime!' - both times she hops into bed. But if I'm actually in the house and watching telly, she's not impressed if I try to confine her.

That's exactly my situation. My guys have no problem when I leave the house or when it's time to go night night. We have our routine when I leave, I close the doggie door, close the puppy gate, they each get a treat and I leave. No problem. When I am home however...there is always someone (Jake!) in the same room with me. If I'm working on the computer he is really good about laying in his dog bed and letting me work. Little miss priss Shelby is fine sacked out on the couch by herself.

I know, 8 hours is for a cavie a little long, but I go to work and I cant take her with me and nobody is there that could look after her in the time when I am gone. But she isnt whining when she is alone, she just wants my full attention when I am at home.

But when she was a puppy I was a lot at home, I didnt work then and she could get use to be alone slowlly.

On another forum they said, that annie isnt trained well, that she is spoiled and that I dont play with her enough and that I should go to school with her. but we did all that and I never give her something if she is beging.

so I really think, that she is just a normal cavie girl.

I go out once a week all day to do the shopping. It takes all day cos I live a distance away from town, so I try to get every thing done on that day. Jeremy comes every where with me except on this day, which was today. He is outside with the golden girls and is not talking to me at all. So thats the treatment I get when I leave him at home. :roll:

WoodHaven said:
That clingingness doesn't seem to happen as much in multi dog households. I sleep with 3-7 cavaliers-- this morning I had two sleeping ON me. No wonder I feel like this :slp:

So you mean I may one day be able to go to the toilet on my own? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe, I know this. I always have company when I am on the toilet- Annie and one of my cats. :D

Gets a bit weird when Woody trys to jump on my laptop though when I am in the toilet... :yikes

merlinsmum said:
So you mean I may one day be able to go to the toilet on my own? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well Kirsty, if you do manage it, can you please share your secret? I haven't been able to go to the loo on my own since my eldest was 5mths old and starting to crawl - now the kids have grown up the dogs have to come with me!

Claire said:
Gets a bit weird when Woody trys to jump on my laptop though when I am in the toilet... :yikes

You take your laptop into the toilet? :yikes Nowt as queer as folk ;) :lol: Only joking Claire, don't worry!

If we get strange posts under your name we'll know it's only Woody talking to us :lol:

Back