• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Peeing inside on rainy days...

Lisa_T

Holly is house trained. Only trouble is, she doesn't like the wet. Or rather, she doesn't like wet, cold and windy. Result: on a day like today, Holly takes one ambles outside, realises it's yucky, and pees inside. Thankfully, on the kitchen lino. She's immaculate the rest of the time. Oddly, she's quite happy to poo outside, regardless of the weather.

Anyone else find this? :roll: :roll:

Oh yes...Miss Mia doesn't like wet grass at all. She'll poo, but won't pee on it. She much prefers the carpet on these occasions. :roll:

You're not alone...

I buy those puppy wee wee pads and my boys will use them. Comes in very handy, one night we had bad storms and tornado warnings so there was no way we were going outside.

I have this issue with Cupcake; it's like her little potty system shuts down when the temperature drops below a certain point. My husband built a "potty box" (a 3'x3' box that she can step into) that we lined with potty pads and put in the garage for her use when it's cold outside. Seems to work pretty well, though it took a bit getting used to since she is trained to only "go" on the grass. :)

Besides, she is pretty sure it's discrimination that EVERYONE but her gets to go to the bathroom in the house - the cats have their litter box, mom and dad have that fun bowl with water and what does she get? The wet icky grass! :p

:lol: Ohhh I've been through this with little miss India when she was younger!!! She did not want to go out in the rain. :roll: I used to have to put on my raincoat, get the umbrella and leash, then take her out and wait for her to wee, then she'd get a treat and come back indoors. Thought we'd never get past this! But we did at age 2 or so. I think the key is taking them out so they won't have an 'accident' in the house. The treats help, too, to convince them it's a good thing to wee outside! :lol:

It seems to be mainly first thing in the morning on a rainy day that's she's likely to have an accident. I'll have to start bringing the puppy out next week anyway, so I suppose Holly can jolly well come with me and do her stuff while I'm standing with Chloe.

Ah yes, under the umbrella in the cold chilly rain early in the morning with 2 little dogs. ;) :flwr:

Oh yes!! Jake used to do this. Oddly enough he's very happy to stand in the rain but didn't like to step on the wet grass to pee. Shelby won't go potty on the wet wood chips but she will on the wet grass. Go figure!

Sabrina hates the wet grass and once she steps into the grass and its wet she backs up on the sidewalk holds her leash in her mouth and sits in protest, I have to make her come out and do her business. She also won't go potty in another yard, as soon as we get back to our yard she goes potty right away.

Yep I am out there most days when it is raining with a dressing gown on boots and a coat on standing in the middle of the garden saying go wee wee...... :roll: - Don't know why as they love going in the bloody sea when we were on holiday!!!!

Merlin will hold on until bursting if its raining. He'll cry in the night, so you get up, coat on etc open the back door.....he'll stand inside looking to see if its raining....... if it is.... back to bed he goes and waits until morning!

If its still raining, he will dash out - pee under the plastic garden table on the decked area we have and then dash back in.

He has been known to hold on number 2's for a long time if he is that way inclined and the weather is bad. :sl*p:

Wow! Well done Merlin :shock: I think I'd rather be relieved but I guess a dog's logic doesn't work that way :D

Lisa... you must be counting the hours!!!

oooh this is the same with jadan. we have to make sure the door is shut so he cant bolt back in again. umberella.lead.treat. or he finds something undercover. at the moment its his cross tunnel that he goes to and we have to catch him before he does it and lure him elsewhere. we arent even into winter yet....well after all the rain weve had maybe we are! :roll:

LMAO at all these spolied babies :lol: Mine aren't spoilt at all icon_whistling Nope... *shakes head* it wasn't my hubby who had to design the garden around the dogs icon_whistling

We have now got a zigzag shaped raised lawn and Maxx will walk on the stones around it until he gets to the pebbles and then do his no 1's and 2's over there - he is far too delicate to walk on wet grass :lol:

Charlie just dives out and does a wee and then dives back in again. I much prefer this to his old trick of going out the garden, pretending to wee and then coming in and peeing on my Persian rug :x :yikes:. Hopefully, we've cracked that trick of his ...

Oh boy! I was planning on posting about this very topic! Daisy HATES to walk on wet grass, and especially if it's cold outside. She has scratched on the door or rang her little bell to go out before, and then when the door is opened and she discovers it's raining, she does a quick change to reverse gear and backs right on in. And then you know she has to go potty, but you just can't make her do it outside. So then I have to put her in the crate or stay one step behind her to avoid an accident. Very frustrating!

She's only 5 months, so it is somewhat encouraging that some Cavs have grown out of this, but 2 YEARS?!!! I think I'll lose my mind before then. I have to carry her out when it's wet out and put her on the lawn, and not merely a few feet out, but WAY out, or else she'll just hop back on the concrete of our patio and not get the job done. Actually, in the early morning, if it's chilly, she has begun peeing on the concrete. I don't like this, but I've not made an issue of it. Frankly, at 3 in the morning, I'm not likely to complain about anything that gets the job done more quickly. She won't poo on it, though, thank goodness.

If she really has to go poop, and she can't get away with slinking off to do it in the house when no one is looking, she will eventually submit to being taken outside. She will wander around the perimeter of the patio a few times, trying to figure out a way to do it on the grass without actually walking on it. One time, she actually wedged one back leg against the brick wall of the house, and put the other little back foot on this hose reel thing that happened to be sitting by the house so she accomplished the poop without touching the ground. What a princess! I had to laugh, but I do see trouble ahead.

What are we going to do this winter?!!! I wonder if we had a little pea-gravel area if that would work? If we don't think of anything that will satisfy her persnickety self, I'm worried about serious backsliding on the housetraining come winter. That would not be good. It's been a long road already, and not one I want to go down again.

Daisy's Mom,

Could you maybe get a frame made and put some pebbles or pea gravel in it for her? My two much prefer the pebbles we've now got in most of our garden and tbh I prefer them as it means no muddy pawprints to have to keep wiping up off the wooden flooring :lol:

Our pebbles are about 1/2" in size.

This is a bit of our garden before the Leylandii came down

widthwaysgarden.jpg

And this is what the pebbles that replaced the trees are like

100_0050.jpg

The dogs much prefer them :D

Ummmmmm I seem to be the exception here. I haven't a single blade of grass in my garden. Not a one. I knew when I got the house that I was getting the dog, so the grass was the first thing to go. Pretty pink red and yellow concrete slabs for me :roll: I think Holly might actually be ok on the grass- she missed it so much when my parents followed my example and ditched theirs :lol:

And Cecily, I'm torn between mad excitement, and trying to forget all about it on the principle that a watched kettle never boils! :D

Donna -- that's a good idea to frame in a little area and put smooth gravel. I hope she would agree to use it. I have a feeling we are going to have to do something like that.

DeAnna

(Daisy's Mom)

Does anyone have any troubles in the winter when it is extremely cold outside? It gets below zero here fairly often at times, I am wondering if I should buy little boots for the dogs when they go outside? I shovel an area on my patio and out into the grass, so that we don't have to trudge thru deep snow, but when it is that bitterly cold, I worry about their paws.

Claire said:
Yep I am out there most days when it is raining with a dressing gown on boots and a coat on standing in the middle of the garden saying go wee wee...... :roll: - Don't know why as they love going in the bloody sea when we were on holiday!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: dogs are almost as crazy as people.

Back