Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peeing inside on rainy days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Merlin will hold on until bursting if its raining. He'll cry in the night, so you get up, coat on etc open the back door.....he'll stand inside looking to see if its raining....... if it is.... back to bed he goes and waits until morning!

If its still raining, he will dash out - pee under the plastic garden table on the decked area we have and then dash back in.

He has been known to hold on number 2's for a long time if he is that way inclined and the weather is bad.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Well done Merlin I think I'd rather be relieved but I guess a dog's logic doesn't work that way

Lisa... you must be counting the hours!!!

Post Thanks / Like

oooh this is the same with jadan. we have to make sure the door is shut so he cant bolt back in again. umberella.lead.treat. or he finds something undercover. at the moment its his cross tunnel that he goes to and we have to catch him before he does it and lure him elsewhere. we arent even into winter yet....well after all the rain weve had maybe we are!
    my mummy lurrrrves me!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO at all these spolied babies Mine aren't spoilt at all Nope... *shakes head* it wasn't my hubby who had to design the garden around the dogs

We have now got a zigzag shaped raised lawn and Maxx will walk on the stones around it until he gets to the pebbles and then do his no 1's and 2's over there - he is far too delicate to walk on wet grass

Charlie just dives out and does a wee and then dives back in again. I much prefer this to his old trick of going out the garden, pretending to wee and then coming in and peeing on my Persian rug :. Hopefully, we've cracked that trick of his ...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy! I was planning on posting about this very topic! Daisy HATES to walk on wet grass, and especially if it's cold outside. She has scratched on the door or rang her little bell to go out before, and then when the door is opened and she discovers it's raining, she does a quick change to reverse gear and backs right on in. And then you know she has to go potty, but you just can't make her do it outside. So then I have to put her in the crate or stay one step behind her to avoid an accident. Very frustrating!

She's only 5 months, so it is somewhat encouraging that some Cavs have grown out of this, but 2 YEARS?!!! I think I'll lose my mind before then. I have to carry her out when it's wet out and put her on the lawn, and not merely a few feet out, but WAY out, or else she'll just hop back on the concrete of our patio and not get the job done. Actually, in the early morning, if it's chilly, she has begun peeing on the concrete. I don't like this, but I've not made an issue of it. Frankly, at 3 in the morning, I'm not likely to complain about anything that gets the job done more quickly. She won't poo on it, though, thank goodness.

If she really has to go poop, and she can't get away with slinking off to do it in the house when no one is looking, she will eventually submit to being taken outside. She will wander around the perimeter of the patio a few times, trying to figure out a way to do it on the grass without actually walking on it. One time, she actually wedged one back leg against the brick wall of the house, and put the other little back foot on this hose reel thing that happened to be sitting by the house so she accomplished the poop without touching the ground. What a princess! I had to laugh, but I do see trouble ahead.

What are we going to do this winter?!!! I wonder if we had a little pea-gravel area if that would work? If we don't think of anything that will satisfy her persnickety self, I'm worried about serious backsliding on the housetraining come winter. That would not be good. It's been a long road already, and not one I want to go down again.

Post Thanks / Like

Daisy's Mom,

Could you maybe get a frame made and put some pebbles or pea gravel in it for her? My two much prefer the pebbles we've now got in most of our garden and tbh I prefer them as it means no muddy pawprints to have to keep wiping up off the wooden flooring

Our pebbles are about 1/2" in size.

This is a bit of our garden before the Leylandii came down

And this is what the pebbles that replaced the trees are like

The dogs much prefer them

Post Thanks / Like

Ummmmmm I seem to be the exception here. I haven't a single blade of grass in my garden. Not a one. I knew when I got the house that I was getting the dog, so the grass was the first thing to go. Pretty pink red and yellow concrete slabs for me I think Holly might actually be ok on the grass- she missed it so much when my parents followed my example and ditched theirs

And Cecily, I'm torn between mad excitement, and trying to forget all about it on the principle that a watched kettle never boils!
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Donna -- that's a good idea to frame in a little area and put smooth gravel. I hope she would agree to use it. I have a feeling we are going to have to do something like that.

DeAnna

(Daisy's Mom)

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any troubles in the winter when it is extremely cold outside? It gets below zero here fairly often at times, I am wondering if I should buy little boots for the dogs when they go outside? I shovel an area on my patio and out into the grass, so that we don't have to trudge thru deep snow, but when it is that bitterly cold, I worry about their paws.
    ~Renee, Bentley & Bailey & Maddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire
    Yep I am out there most days when it is raining with a dressing gown on boots and a coat on standing in the middle of the garden saying go wee wee...... - Don't know why as they love going in the bloody sea when we were on holiday!!!!

dogs are almost as crazy as people.