Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vet appt today for India

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Vet appt today for India

India developed a terrible limp yesterday afternoon - I noticed it when I came home from work, too late to call the vet. She's still limping this morning, so I called the vet 10 minutes before opening time, and they're fitting her in at noon today.

My husband said she was outside chasing around with Geordie like crazy yesterday afternoon, we have almost 1/2 acre fenced so they really get some speed. He didn't see anything happen, though.

We've checked her over and cannot find the problem, but it appears its her right front leg she's not putting any weight on. I'm wondering if she dislocated her shoulder. Oh well, we still have a 3 hour wait ahead of us.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Positive thoughts for India..hoping it is something simple like a sprain. They do play wild don't they. I have a fenced in area also...not a half acre but pretty good size. My collie runs and all the little ones chase him. Hope India's vet visit goes well.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mary, if it is a sprain wouldn't she have a painful area? What's weird is she is not protecting her feet or legs or any part of her body from being touched or handled.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Hope the vet visit reveals some answers and India will be back to normal soon. We used to have a Greyhound that had the same thing happen, turned out we just had to let her rest for 2 days and everything was normal again. Maybe it was just strained muscle and she will be just fine. Fingers and paws crossed.
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be thinking about India today... I know how terrifying it is when our pups get hurt. Please update us after the vet visit!

Post Thanks / Like

keeping India in my thoughts keep us informed ---Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully she's just sore nothing more. Let us know.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The vet thinks it's a soft tissue injury involving the shoulder or elbow of her front leg. India is supposed to rest for a few days - no running, no jumping on/off furniture, or wrestling with Geordie, so we have to put her on a lead in the back yard. During the exam India showed no signs of pain. Just a limp...

If she is still limping in a few days she may need an x-ray. We were offered an x-ray today, so I asked the vet what she would do if it were her dog. She said she would wait, because she doesn't think the x-ray will show anything.

India has a prescription for Metacam, a non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drug.

She also was due for her vaccinations, so she got those on her hind leg area. Something new this year: she got a 2-year DHPP, then a new Lepto 4-way puppy shot - she has to go back in one month for a second Lepto 4-way vaccination. I think that is good for 1 year. And a one year Bordetella.

The vet told us the 4-way Lepto protects dogs from different strains of Lepto that are carried in the urine of wildlife in our area. This is the first time we've had this particular vaccine.

So that's it - just rest and relaxation for this little girl!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Good news! I wondered if maybe it was just a strain since you weren't able to manipulate her into discomfort. Take a load off India and let momma wait on you paw and foot
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Glad to hear it sounds like India will be better soon with a little bit of rest and medicine!!
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......