• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vet appt today for India

Cathy Moon

India developed a terrible limp yesterday afternoon - I noticed it when I came home from work, too late to call the vet. :( She's still limping this morning, so I called the vet 10 minutes before opening time, and they're fitting her in at noon today.

My husband said she was outside chasing around with Geordie like crazy yesterday afternoon, we have almost 1/2 acre fenced so they really get some speed. He didn't see anything happen, though.

We've checked her over and cannot find the problem, but it appears its her right front leg she's not putting any weight on. I'm wondering if she dislocated her shoulder. :( Oh well, we still have a 3 hour wait ahead of us.

Positive thoughts for India..hoping it is something simple like a sprain. They do play wild don't they. I have a fenced in area also...not a half acre but pretty good size. My collie runs and all the little ones chase him. Hope India's vet visit goes well.

Mary, if it is a sprain wouldn't she have a painful area? What's weird is she is not protecting her feet or legs or any part of her body from being touched or handled.

Hope the vet visit reveals some answers and India will be back to normal soon. :flwr: We used to have a Greyhound that had the same thing happen, turned out we just had to let her rest for 2 days and everything was normal again. Maybe it was just strained muscle and she will be just fine. Fingers and paws crossed. :xfngr:

I'll be thinking about India today... I know how terrifying it is when our pups get hurt. Please update us after the vet visit!

:updte: The vet thinks it's a soft tissue injury involving the shoulder or elbow of her front leg. India is supposed to rest for a few days - no running, no jumping on/off furniture, or wrestling with Geordie, so we have to put her on a lead in the back yard. During the exam India showed no signs of pain. Just a limp...

If she is still limping in a few days she may need an x-ray. We were offered an x-ray today, so I asked the vet what she would do if it were her dog. :) She said she would wait, because she doesn't think the x-ray will show anything.

India has a prescription for Metacam, a non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drug.

She also was due for her vaccinations, so she got those on her hind leg area. Something new this year: she got a 2-year DHPP, then a new Lepto 4-way puppy shot - she has to go back in one month for a second Lepto 4-way vaccination. I think that is good for 1 year. And a one year Bordetella.

The vet told us the 4-way Lepto protects dogs from different strains of Lepto that are carried in the urine of wildlife in our area. This is the first time we've had this particular vaccine.

So that's it - just rest and relaxation for this little girl! :slp:

Good news! I wondered if maybe it was just a strain since you weren't able to manipulate her into discomfort. Take a load off India and let momma wait on you paw and foot :D

Yay! Glad to hear it sounds like India will be better soon with a little bit of rest and medicine!!

I'm glad to see the 'update' emoticon has been used now... :lol:

That sounds very sensible; I'd have waited on an xray too. I bet she will be fine. Glad she looks generally OK.

I must ask my vets what they use for lepto.

SO pleased it sounds like "just" a soft tissue injury - poor India, you take it easy for a few days baby and get Momma to wait on you!!

Hope she will be ok Cathy - VB ((((hugs))) I think it's almost as stressful for us as them when they are ill :(

There's a big article on the Lepto vaccines in this month's Dogs Today...well worth reading.

aw cathy--i hope she improves fast. the fact that no localized source of it can be found is hopefully a good thing. Surely something more serious would have a spot you could find. I occasionally get some kind of pain or stiffness that's pretty bad but when i feel around to try to see where it's coming from, i can't, so this sounded familiar. In a while the pain goes away, but sometimes, mine has taken more than a few days, maybe over a week.

{{{{{get well soon India}}}}} :flwr: :xfngr:

Oh Cathy, I was unable to log on the weekend, poor India - give a hug from us and I hope she is feeling better. :flwr:

Cathy I am so sorry, I've only just seen this thread - useless or what?

Hope India is resting well and not exerting herself at all? Poor little love, hope it's soon all healed up again. I wonder how she managed to do it? I know they do go a bit mad when they all run around together.

Get well soon India :flwr: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

How is Geordie managing without his partner in crime to run around with?

India has been resting up, and has no limp this morning. It has not been easy keeping her from jumping off the sofa, so we've been keeping her in the kitchen with baby gates unless we are all settled in the living room and can pick her up/down from the sofa. Then Geordie tried to play with her for a minute last night before I stopped him, and she squawked :shock:

I couldn't give her the medicine from the vet, because they gave me the wrong measuring syringe, and it doesn't fit on the bottle. :? I discovered that on Saturday evening, after the vet had closed for the weekend. So I'm taking that in to the vet after work today.

Geordie wants his playmate back and cannot understand why we won't let them play. When the dogs go outside, we let India go alone or with Chocolate. Then we let Geordie go alone or with Chocolate. He keeps looking back at the door, waiting for India to follow. I think Chocolate benefits from the one-on-one time with each of the others, since they were already closely bonded by the time she joined the family.

Hi Cathy. Just wanted to check and see if India is all better? A couple weeks ago you said the limp was better after letting her rest a few days. Did you notice any more limping after she resumed playing and walking, etc.?
My Cavalier Linus just started limping, and it also was his front right paw. We noticed it after taking him for a walk.
Thanks!

I was going to suggest a soft tissue injury, but then read your post vet reply. Joly had something similar, last summer. We had been to a country fair, where he was fine, but aftter a 2 hour journey home was limping.

I could feel no tender spot, but the vet did , eventually, as it was well hidden. She suggested a few days rest with no running upand down stairs. Allso, she said that such injuries can take quite a long time to settle, as humns can find.

Back