Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fretful nights

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Willow and poor you .

I must be extremely blessed in the hubby department as he gets up early every morning and lets the dogs out & gives them a treat He's not much good about messes though He tends to cover them with a piece of paper kitchen towel and then tells me that there's a mess downstairs

OK then. I never let my two have sticks as one of my friends dogs died from eating a stick

Do you have Weetabix breakfast cereal over there? If you do, I find that 1/2 a weetabix is an excellent 'laxative' for dogs. It doesn't give them the squits but will help them to go.

I think I'd still pop her along to see the Vet tomorrow if she's no better or she hasn't been properly

Cathy, that's the problem with cages - my two aren't in them and so mob hubby as soon as he's up They either get a dog treat or he doesn't get a peaceful breakfast .....

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if it is that time of year, Woody had the runs the other week and was straining - he is okay now, and then Busta has got it over the weekend - lose stools and alot of straining, plus he has been sick a couple of times and eating grass - he is being starved at the moment and will have his sensitive biscuits today...

Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar problem with Daisy Boo about six months ago. She was straining to go to the toilet and actually cried out at times. The vet said she was very swollen around her anal area and gave her a painkilling injection and liquid paraffin. The liquid parrafin is basically a lubricant that makes it less painful to go to the loo while the inflammation clears up. About 5mls once a day does it until the problem clears - about a week. it was a complication of being in heat that caused it at that time.

However, I would go to the vet just to be sure.

Joanna

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Joanna, your experience sounds very similar to ours, though Willow is spayed. Still, perhaps there is swelling for some other reason?

Willow did better last night. Slept til 6, which is about normal. She is still straining, though. I've not seen her have a bowel movement in days, but I suspect I have missed something. She's still skittish about people being near when she goes to the bathroom, so if you get close she stops. (Did this when healthy, too). I suspect I missed something because she continues to eat and drink normally without any vomiting. So it HAS to be going somewhere! Still, she should not be straining like she is.

Anyway, she is going to the vet today. Hopefully we'll have an answer and a relatively easy way to treat the problem. I'll let you all know!
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Merlin was once very similar - the vet gave us this yeast stuff called Katlick, you put it on your finger and let them lick it off - just the smallest amount and that got things going! Perhaps vegemite would do the same?
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)