• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SAFE/In foster: little female in Kilkenny city area**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a call from a rescue who found a small ruby female dashing through traffic in the Tipp/Kilkenny area. She is underweight, in heat, very scared and exhausted. No microchip. No one in that area has reported a missing cavalier. Rescue guesses she is around 3-4.

Is there anyone in that region who could get her and hold her for a couple of days or longer term foster? This is very urgent as the people who rescued her rescued her near an encampment and there are also concerns that people will try to get her back despite her obvious state of severe neglect and the indication that no one cares much for her or has in a long time.

She will need to be held in a very secure house with a very secure garden as she is small and could fit through a hole in or under a fence. She is very anxious and trying to escape as is so a calm and quiet environment where she can be safely held in a room or two and watched in a garden, and allowed to find her feet, is important. Because she is in heat she cannot be taken out on walks. Alternatively if someone can hold her even for two days or so, I could get her Tuesday or Wednesday and then would be seeking a foster near Dublin. I just am unable myself to get her in the next two days.

She would likely benefit from being around other cavaliers (neutered obviously for males) in the home. I am told she looks like she has been harrassed by male dogs because of her state. It took the people a long, long time to catch her.

I am very grateful for those who have initially rescued this poor thing. :flwr:

Awwh poor little girl. That just breaks my heart. Wish I were close by to help.

sending positive thoughts for the little ruby girl your way... :hug: Hope everything gets sorted out quickly!! Wish I were closer to you or you were closer to me. ;( Maybe someday you can fly me a rescue, lol, what do you think?

You can send her to me, in California, USA. I want a ruby so badly.

Wish I was closer, I'd take her in a heartbeat. A real forever home. But, Alas, the pond stands beween us.

Hi Karlin,
If you need a foster in Dublin next week for this little ruby girl, I can take her. :flwr: Talk to you later in park.

ruby

:( this is so sad that cavalier must be so unhappy i pray someone can give her a loveing home i would if i was near there please let us know what happens :lotsaluv:

:updte: People have come looking for her; that isn't good news as they are the ones who have her in this state. Will be travelling halfway to collect her to get her to a safe location with Brid for tonight. Thanks all who spoke to me about this girl!

Maxxs_Mummy said:
OMG poor little *ng*l Kisses and hugs from me and the tribe. It's times like this I really do wish I was nearer to you. There's always room for one more :lotsaluv:

I wonder if she was originally stolen from someone :( Especially if she was found near an encampment :yikes
Donna, what is an encampment? Is this homeless people or gypsies?

Lots of travellers (Irish and UK gypsies) are great with dogs and horses and have long traditions of working them and travelling with them. Some are very abusive and tend to give the whole group a bad name, as often happens with easily identifiable groups. I don't think travellers mistreat animals any more than people in nice settled neighbourhgoods from the reports rescue people get, but it is easier to see with travellers as they camp by the side of the road and are very visible. Whereas a lot of settled people abuse to animals happens behind closed doors and in gardens out oif sight. Lots of rescue folks here would know some great travellers who are very helpful with reporting abuse and getting animals out of bad spots out in the coutnryside in particular, where they see things others might miss. :)

The context in which this girl was fund *suggested* she might have been in a bad situation with some travellers or could be taken in and disappear if they were moving on. But this was wrong. Turns out this girl was not with the travellers at all, but she was not in a good situation.

She is lovely, very sweet, not overly thin at all, but very swollen and in heat. Not overly scared either; I think that was just because she was being captured and was in the midst of traffic. She is a bit shy but very friendly and easy-going. Another hour and I have no doubt she would have been dead on the road, or sold on to puppy farmers.

Brid has her and might post some pics if she takes any (she always does!! :lol:

I am thankful to all those who offered help on the board and by PM.

Oh I am so relieved to hear she is safe and in such good hands! If the people who had her kept her in that condition, I hope that they don't ever get her back!

All well here. She's (Sweety) sleeping her head off for the last few hours. Phoebe is oblivious to it all!!

PA080031.jpg

PA080030.jpg

Brid thanks for posting pics. What a beauty this little girl is! You are a gem for taking her in!!

Thanks Brid for the pics -- she looks exhausted, poor little girl! I like how she is just barely acknowledging you with an eye barely opened in one pic. :lol:

Regarding travellers -- I do think the travellers get a very hard time for people who are the exception and not the rule. Lots of house dwellers keep dogs alone in gardens, chained or confined to runs for hours. Around here, the vast majority of cruelty cases, on a per capita basis, come from house or farm dwellers. All the mass breeding cases are with people in homes or farms, not travellers, so even in numbers alone, cruelty practised against, say, cavaliers is marginal amongst travellers yet a tiny number of theft cases in the UK had all the lists buzzing with indignation against travellers -- from many of the people who couldn't be bothered to even write a letter to a politician about puppy farming where there are thousands of cavaliers held in small cages, perfectly legally in many cases. :(

Cats in particular are often treated like vermin (indeed that is their status under Irish law still; you can bring in an exterminator for cats which you could never do for dogs). Yet every one of my four cats has as rich and complex a personality as my dogs (and are far more polite! :lol:).

As always (and I know we can think of many other current examples and historical examples no matter where we live) the worst cases are the ones that get publicity and if you are a member of an easily identifiable group, the actions of the few are frequently transferred to the group. I just don't like to make generalisations about a group. (y)

What a sweetie. So glad you all went through all of this today to rescue her. She looks exhausted but content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back