Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old do Cavs get?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How old do Cavs get?

It seems like most people on this board have relatively young Cavs. What's the average lifespan for a CKCS? What age is the oldest Cav you've seen or heard about? I'm just curious!

Post Thanks / Like

it's a good question which I am interested in too!

Karlin posted this not too long ago..

if all breeders had focused on health in the past two decades, we would not be seeing 50% of cavaliers with heart murmurs by age 5, and the average lifespan now described as 7-10 years instead of the 12-15 years it should be for a toy breed
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that according to the latest health survey in the USA - the average age of death was 10.7-- bitches and 10.9 years for a dog. The oldest I had heard of was 18, but I don't remember the name of the dog.

Sandy

P.S. The health survey was this one:
    http://ackcsc.org/health/ckcshealths...inalreport.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

well according to most websites and books they say that generally a cavaliers lifespan is from 9 - 12 years .. i dont know how true this is but yeah...well i only know 3 other cavvies in person (well u cant realy say person ) and one of them are 11 years at the moment - this is my friends dog and she hasnt been diagnosed with any health problem so far! nothing at all,...a very lucky dog i must say considering the high risk of heart murmurs, SM etc etc in the breed.., the other two are 5 years and 7 years..
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

I read of one that lived to 18 1/2 the other day.

The average is supposed to be about 11, as far as I've read.

My three waiting at Rainbow Bridge lived to be 12 1/2, 9 and 7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know of one that reached 19. On many of the breed guides the lifespan is listed as 7-10 years due to MVD badly skewing the charts. I know of two in my area that are 11 and 13, and two that died at 6 and at 7 from MVD.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wonder if that was Tuppence Karlin? There is an article on http://www.cavaliers.co.uk/

under Breed Info
    Health Issues

Health Articles - long lived Cavaliers

Tuppence died in April 2005 of cancer, living to one week short of 19 years and 5 months.

Bet Hargreaves has been researching long lived Cavaliers and their pedigrees for some years, she quotes some statistics

16 have lived to 17 years
    65 to 16 years
    194 to 15 years
    334 to 14 years
    368 to 13 years
    422 to 12 years

I knew one girl who died just short of her 15th birthday, but have personally lost 3 girls, Fillipa at 5 1/2, Peaches at 7 and Isabel at 7.

Rupert is 10 now, his Dam lived to 12 and Sire to 11.

The Cavalier club quotes average figures of 10 - 12.

I was reading something the other day which said that the Kennel Club should be advised of the deaths of all registered dogs...I didn't know this, has anyone else heard of it?

If this is indeed happening, are they using the information for anything?
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

My friend lost one of hers about two years ago aged 15 1/2. She literally did just die of old age

Another friend lost one at 12 and he had MVD. Maxx's parents are 11 1/2 and 12 1/2 and both perfectly healthy with good strong hearts His breeder's oldest is 14 and still has a good heart and is extremely healthy except for only a touch of arthritis.

Post Thanks / Like

i found out today that a friends cav died at 17 yrs! thats a good age for a cav.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about Bobby, my friend's old boy as well. He was 14 when he went to the Bridge. Not bad for a little boy who was diagnosed with MVD at a young age and they never thought he'd make it past his puppyhood