Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How old do Cavs get?

Post Thanks / Like

My last cavalier lived to 7 - we found out after we got her that she was from a puppy farm in wales... it wasn't so well known years ago that puppy farms existed.

I hope that all my 4 babies that I have now live for a good old age like those statistics say.

I wonder do those statistics take into account the size of the cavaliers - my dogs are huge for cavaliers and I read somewhere that the smaller the dog the longer they live ???
    www.pet-bliss.com for pet products
    www.poshpaws.ie Designer Pet Products
    www.gift-ireland.com voluntary group raising money for rescues

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love hearing about the oldies. The 19 year old was in Ireland; may have been just shy of 19, but I remember being astonished at the age. Fuzzie Bear may know as this was Petra's cavalier, Lyndsey.

Size shouldn't make any difference to health -- I've never heard smaller cavaliers are healthier. I am sure that is not the case -- indeed some small cavaliers have more health problems because the smallness may be due to serious health issues like hydrocephalus and liver problems. While any breeder will produce some oversized and some undersized dogs, in my experience, backyard bred and puppy farm bred cavaliers are a lot more likely to be oversized rather than undersized or standard sized (breed standard is 12-18lbs in the UK, 13-18lbs in the US). Very few pet cavaliers I see here in Ireland are this size (and maybe 1 or 2 of all those I've seen in rescue), though all the show dogs will be this size. So it may be that breed standard ('smaller') cavaliers are more likely to be longer lived because they are more likely to be bred by show breeders who are considering pedigrees, health, and long lived lines. A show breeder whose cavaliers routinely die before 10 would not have good reputation... so there is an impetus to be mindful of health. Just one possible theory!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I read about Tuppence too and was overwhelmed- she wasn't that far off 20, which is an excellent age for any dog and absolutely superb for a Cav. I don't know about Holly's parents- except that they've both been rehomed as no longer being suitable for breeding for a number of reasons- but they're both over five and doing well. Chloe's great grandmother is nearly 11, and as far as we know she's doing well too, although the breeders are wondering if she's got heart trouble as she took a 'funny turn' a couple of weeks ago, and then was back to normal. I imagine they've checked it out. Even if it is MVD, they've had no heart trouble with her til now, which is pretty good going.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Maxx is a large Cavalier and so are his parents, Amy was too and so was my friends little boy (can't remember his name), the only smallie out of them all was Bobby and he wasn't that small, just small compared to Maxx and my breeders crew.

Post Thanks / Like

Toby, my rescue from Hearts United for Animals, lived to be 15 years 10 months. He had dry eye at age 8 when we got him and he became deaf and developed arthritis, but both these occurred after he was 10. He really just succumbed to old age at the end. I wish I could have done a heart transplant into Gizmo, who at age 9 3/4, is having quite a bad time with MVD. Gadget, Gizmo's full brother, is 8 3/4 and quite healthy.

Margaret
    Margaret, Newton, MA - Gadget (blenheim), Sasha (ruby), Wyatt (blenheim)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Over 15 years old! I only hope Jake will hang around and torment me that long! I was so sure I was going to lose him at 2 years to the cancer that every year is a total and complete blessing.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah