Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bella is home! And a few questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    Hi Girls,

OK then a few answers to your questions.....

They kick up the grass to cover over where they've been to the toilet - covering their tracks or scent, so to speak....
    yes, that's what it looks like.

i wonder if anyone else has seen this in their dog--i was paying closer attention to it on our walk last night. Zack not only does this right after a pee (and not every single time) but also, he was doing it sometimes when he hadn't peed.

He does it in an excited way, it's as if something, probably a scent, excites him and he starts intensely scraping the grass with all four feet, with a rather happy or excited even playful look on his face, kind of jumping in the air a little.

At first, in the past, i wasn't sure, maybe i just didn't see him pee before he did it, so last night, i was paying attention, he did it several times, sometimes after pee, sometimes clearly not.

then we were walking across the street from another dog and owner, some dogs Zack seems more interested in than others as he gets older and i could see that this dog, he was interested in, showing some building excitment. I thought it would be a good time to practice some training discipline, so i had him first heel, and then sit and stay. He was starting to squeal a little or make a couple of little high pitched but muffled sounds, as he tried to control himself. Then i had him heel on down the street, we didn't cross to visit the other dog. He was frustrated but he did what he was asked to do. Then i told him he was free to go, i released him, he's on a long retractable leash, and he ran onto a nearby lawn and began scraping his feet like crazy with that "happy" (or whatever it is) look on his face--it's kind of a wild look.

The other thing I've noticed about this behavior is that when he does it, he always looks right at me, eye contact, what looks like a playful or proud smile on his face.

Is that typical? do dogs generally look at you while they're burying their scent?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine do and Maxx also covers up if he can smell where one of his friends have been. For instance I always know if my friend Win has walked her Cav Poppy just before us as I can guaranteee that Maxx will scuff where Poppy has weed not long before

Post Thanks / Like

Both of mine like to "kick it up" after pottying. Not all of the time, but sometimes. Shelby in particular cracks me up when she does it...especially when she tries to do it on the concrete...silly girl! Both of mine scoot. Not a lot, but occasionally. I think mine do it because it feels good! They definitely don't have anal gland problems or worms, but the looks on their faces when they do it is funny.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome home Bella! What a beautiful puppy! And by the way I liked your website, I enjoyed your photgraphy very much!
    ~Renee, Bailey & Maddie, and RIP my beloved Bentley.

Post Thanks / Like

Congatulations on little Bella. She is a real doll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lynn
    Mom to Brodie (M Black and Tan) and Rescue Kitty Gonzolas