• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Natural Balance Dog Food

goldcountryrose

I know that I saw a thread about this before, but I sure can't find it.

Toby just wouldn't eat anything healthy. He quit eating his Solid Gold several weeks ago. I was feeding that mixed with boiled chix thights.
He would eat the chicken, and leave the kibble.

So, I switched to Innova Evo kibble and canned. He would eat the kibble if hand fed, and refused the canned entirely.

Then I bought a tiny tube of Natural Balance, buy one for 99 cents and get one free. He loved it.

So, today, I went to Petco and got a 4lb tube and mixed it with his Evo kibble, and he scarfed up every bite. But I am worried that tho the Natural Balance is supposed to be the max healthy food, it smells so strongly of some kind of artificial bbq or smoke flavoring.

I also bought some Natural Balance canned food, will work it in somehow.

For folks in the US, you must have seen the PetSmart commercial with the doxie and the long dog toy, well I bought the long dog toy today, and Toby LOVES that toy, and carries it around in his mouth, just like in the commercial.

If PetSmart thought they had a cute commercial with the Doxie, they have no idea how cute it is with a CAV.

Call me, PetSmart. Toby is available for commercials. 8)

goldcountryrose said:
...Then I bought a tiny tube of Natural Balance, buy one for 99 cents and get one free. He loved it.

So, today, I went to Petco and got a 4lb tube and mixed it with his Evo kibble, and he scarfed up every bite. But I am worried that tho the Natural Balance is supposed to be the max healthy food, it smells so strongly of some kind of artificial bbq or smoke flavoring....

In the ingredients it's referred to as "natural smoke flavor." Personally, i stay away from smoked things because of potential negative health effects. Once I gave zack a smoked bully stick by mistake, and the rest of the night, he was drinking water excessively, apparently it made him thirsty. Not a good sign. but a lot of people like it, that's why they put it in their dog food. I don't think they put it in there for the dogs. Dogs in the wild don't cook their food.

I started feeding Cupcake the Natural Balance "Original" and "Sweet Potato and Fish" kibble not too long ago and she absolutely loves it. For some reason she isn't into the wet dog food, but goes bonkers for the kibble. Perhaps your little one may like the dry stuff as well? It's so frustrating when they start getting picky about their food. I'm hoping that giving her the original in the morning and the sweet potato/fish in the evening it will be enough variety to keep her interested.

It's so funny you mentioned that PetSmart commercial about the long dog toy, I also got Cupcake the mini version (in pink!) and she is obsessed with it. She even slept with it one night and she never brings toys to bed. :p

I feed the Natural Balance line of foods. I only feed the dry but I rotate between the different formulas for variety. All my dogs love it !

You will notice that the "roll" does smell strongly - but that the dry does not smell of "smoke" at all - actually, it smells quite good!

Good Luck - I know it can be hard with picky eaters!!

I feed Mia the NB Potato Duck kibble and at first I added the Potato Duck wet food. She seemed to like it alright, but it did have a heavy smoke smell. I think it was too rich for her. Some days she liked it, some days she sort of acted like it was upsetting her tummy. Now she's just on the kibble and NV raw medallions. Seems to like that a lot.

My little guy apparently has a cast iron stomach, because no matter how much I mess around with his foods, he never has any kind of problem.

He still loves the Beef formula in the tube, and last night I fed him the duck potato canned and he ate it right up.

I am still giving him the Evo kibble in the morning, for which the cats are very grateful. They love it.

I will definately buy the potato duck kibble next time. So, I think we have a winner. I just wonder how long the tube will stay good once open and refrigerated. It is so dense that he only needs about an inch each day.

Regarding the long dog toy, Toby hasn't brought that to bed yet. He prefers to bring the marrow bones to bed. "crunch, scrape, crunch, scrape". Thankfully, all the marrow is out, and the bones are quite dry now.

My Duncan has loved his long loofa dogs (we called it BoBo) right into the garbage.

We have been through 5 of time. Ears go first, then arms... :yikes :yikes :yikes

LOL, LOL, I found this funny whiteish bit of fluff on the floor the other monrning, looked closer....Loofa dog is missing an ear. What Toby has worked the hardest to get loose is the soccer ball, no luck yet. That thing must REALLY be sewn in well.

Back