• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

omg what have i done?

angie

this should really be on the end of my topic going under the knife but i wasnt sure how many would get back to me on it. :?

jadan is doing fine after having his bits off, was running around in a day as if nothing happend. if anything we had to hold him back! :D

the problem is that i was told to put him on a bland chicken and rice diet after the op. well he wasnt to eager to eat on his first night but the next morning he loved it and his tea! but...........well it has sort of given him the runs, he keeps having accidents at night :yikes nothing happens in the day!

at first i thought it was maybe the anesthetic coming through (im no doctor i havent a clue how it works only know it used to make me sick!) :(

he only has a couple of spoons and some chicken but has always had a wheat gluten alergy before that. i didnt think rice and chicken would bother this?!!
i was in a good routine with his JWB and knew that he would go between an hour or two after eating depending on when he was walked. breakfast 8am walk 9am poo 9.15ish. tea 5 or 6pm. walk 7 or 8pm poo within 15mins or so. then piddle/poop at 11 before bed. (ok....give or take, im no drill seargent! but we had a routine anyway!!) ;) he hadnt had an accident since he was 4half months. hes now 7 months. but with rice and chicken nothing happens until the morning when i am on my knees clearing it off the kitchen floor!!! :sl*p: and even though he managed to hold it in all day and probably most of the night, its runny!. i contacted the vet this morning (after giving him his breakfast, typicle!) :roll: and was told to starve him 24hrs then give his usual food. i know the op was for the best, but he used to have a problem at 4 months of going on the floor at night and then just stopped. i guess he grew out of it. please tell me this is just temp!!!. :?

Put him back on the JWB, smaller and more portions per day - Busta is also the same on chicken and rice (actually makes he worse if he has an upset stomach).... the anesthetic can sometimes effect them but he should be okay if you put him back on his normal food.

aw angie i feel for you..it must be tough..i wish i could advise and help you out here but i honestly have no clue so im just going to keep my mouth shut and leave it to the experts on this board! anyway good luck :flwr: :flwr:

I agree with Claire, back on the JWB little and often so to say. Maybe if he appears to be poorly I would starve him for 24 hours but it sounds like it could be the chicken and rice. If Charlie has cooked chicken it makes him poopy :( I think some dogs find it irritates their tummies.

Hope he's soon better :flwr: xxxxx

The anaesthetic can cause runs for a couple of days in some cases... if he's better on his usual food I'd just give him that. I'd actually withhold any food for 12 hours now, to let his stomach settle then just get him on his usual diet. I never put mine on anything different from their regular meal after surgeries so I don;t think it really matters. Some dogs always seem to have runs for a few days when their food is changed so that might be part of it as well?

Jake has always gotten an upset tummy after anesthesia (neuter, cancer and teeth cleaning). He also does not react well to the chicken and rice (although he does great on CA chicken and rice formula). If he gets a really bad tummy I give him canned ID (from the vet's office). When we travel I always bring a couple of cans just in case.

Daisy has had problems with cooked chicken (boiled). On our first night of puppy kindergarten, they had told us to bring extra-special treats and not feed them in the afternoon before coming to class. I brought boiled chicken, and the next day, poor little Daisy had the runs all over her crate (and the wall behind it, unfortunately). I felt terrible for her. I had actually given her smaller amounts of boiled chicken and rice before when she had diarrhea, and it didn't bother her. I guess maybe it was just too much this time.

So now we're back to the freeze-dried liver treats in class, which she would walk across hot coals for.

DeAnna

well i didnt give jadan any tea last night and as i was going to work today for a few hours decided not to give him any breakfast either so he had gone longer that 24hrs bless him. :? gave him his tea early tonight and took him for a walk couple hours later and he performed for me. :p trouble was that it was in the middle of stinging nettles and in the dark. even though he was on a leed i couldnt find it!!!! i dont know what it was like so dont know if he is back to normal. but worse, felt really bad that i had to leave it behind. smack on the wrist for this dog walker. :oops: but it was in the middle of nettles. you would think his underbelly would be a bit more sensitive wouldnt you! icon_whistling

The day after Cupcake was spayed she had the exact same problem; we were going outside every 60 minutes. It really freaked me out, but the vet said this was pretty normal for smaller dogs. After 48 hours she was back to normal (thank goodness!). I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little guy; the runs are not fun!

:flwr:

hey..... :p :p jay is getting much better.....no accidents yesterday or today. poor love i did give him the cold shoulder when he messed the floor. i should have known it wasnt on purpose :( i am thinking positive though and maybe he will see it as a reminder of what not to do in future if he gets a bit lazy about going out ;) he has been eating well since his starving period and hasnt turned his nose up once......well i wont hold my breath on that one icon_whistling and no more chichen and rice. apparently jwb is such a good food that even the vet said if he had known he wouldnt have advised the chicken and rice. funny ...i thought i told him. never mind. all is going well and thats good :D :D

Back