Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Pen Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default X-Pen Question

I am going to buy an x-pen and I wanted to know what height to get ... I don't want to spend a lot of money on one only to have her jump it and have to get another! Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Pen height is very dependent on the individual dog. I've seen dogs clear a three foot x-pen-- One of mine would never jump out of a two ft x-pen (he isn't a big jumper). Some cavaliers climb, some jump (I swear some of mine are half cat).

Post Thanks / Like

That is funny that you mention half cat. There are so many things that Ella does that remind me of a cat. Her favorite toys are the cat toys and a RIBBON she found in the laundry room. If a ribbon doesn't scream cat I don't know what does. She also climbs like a cat, with her claws. When she plays with my sister's cat, she modifies she growl so that it comes out sounding like a purr. She swats at things with her paws more than biting them, like a cat does.

The day she uses the litter box, I'm calling the breeder and thanking the lord - haha!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention x-pens. I just ordered another one to take on vacation with us. We take all of them (now 3) when we go on vacation so we can separate off an area for the dogs to go potty off leash. I ordered mine from petedge.com and got the 30 inch one.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Mic Guest

I have two 24" x-pens. I keep one at home and the other stays in the houseboat or camper. Abby, my 15.5#, 14 month ruby, can jump right over it. Cappy, my 13#, 6.5 month b&t, hasn't figured it out yet, but is taking notes. Abby got her foot caught the last time she jumped and I think she's afraid to try again. I wish I'd gotten the taller pen.

~Mic

Post Thanks / Like

At 30 inches neither of mine attempts to get over. But I've never had that problem. One of my fosters though leaped right over it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Misha can climb over *anything* (our pen is 36") so we got him an ex-pen topper which makes the ex-pen into a giant cage. He then managed to shove it up and run underneath it... Some people's dogs!

In good news, my parents puppy Merlin has taken quite well to the ex-pen but we leave the top on just in case. The top does limit the ex-pen to being a square shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have the 30" xpens.
    India jumped the 24" about 2 weeks after we bought it.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

30" it is - thanks everyone!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bear in mind your flooring too, and how it sets up- I got a folding one that's a fantastic size and ok height. Can't use it at the moment because I have linoleum on the kitchen floor and the lack of friction means Chloe can jump on the fold- and if she persisted, she'd eventually bring the whole lot down on herself. I'm very glad the breeders have loaned me a good size crate! She's safer and I feel happier.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years