• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Airline Travel with Gus

GusWilson

So I have only flown once with Gus and he was only 4 months at the time. I am planning on taking him home with me for the holidays to Chicago. He is about 16 pounds now and I am worried he may be too tall... has anyone flown with a full grown Cavalier and have any tips for me?

hi kath
i don't know the answer, but i was noticing your cute avatar, and noticed you're from los angeles, which i kind of am too, and it looks like gus is at the beach. i'm curious, is that a dog beach in the picture? i'm in santa monica and we don't have a dog beach here, it's scandalous. i would love to take zack to the beach, but the closest one i know of is in long beach, not exactly convenient for me.

i recently heard it mentioned (by sara) that some airlines allow dogs to be carried on and some don't. if you can fit him in an airline approved Sherpa carrier, and it will fit under the seat for take off and landing, i'd think it would be ok.

Hi Kath,
I have never flown a dog, so I don't have any first hand knowledge. Have you visited the websites of any of the airlines you are considering? They would have the most updated information. :flwr:

why would you want to leave nice cali to come to Chicago in the winter! I live about an hour west of Chicago and I am not looking forward to winter. It's aready nasty today...cold and rainy. My friend who lives in Ohio has a cav and she's going to be flying with him for the holidays to Florida. He's about 19 lbs, pretty big boy, and she seems confident that she'll be able to make it. It's shorter trip though.

Florida to Santa Barbara at 4.5 months

We had a spot under the seat for Barkleigh shortly after he was born--and it will be our first time traveling with a pet on board. Thus we have trained him to wee-wee pads and I am sure he'll go in the bathroom, at least pee. He does this quickly and every time we say "go potty." But the airline really messed our very quick flight with one change by canceling that route. Now we have a 6 AM flight (2 hours from airport!), a change in Atlanta, and another in Salt Lake City. And very short connections! Ouch.

Not quite so bad on the way back, but another early connection.

All tips welcome! (He has a Sherpa bag.)

I put him in his carrier today and he fits... it is not spacious, but he can lay down in it. I feel bad that it is closed quarters but the alternative is to leave him in Cali with my roommate who works a lot or a kennel... which would make me worry so much. Gus comes to work with me every day and has seperation anxiety even when someone else is just holding his leash! I would love to stay in the sun, but Chicago has my 6 nieces and nephews so that is a big pull for the holidays. He is 18 pounds... so I will just have to get him good and tired and hopefully he will just sleep.

Back