Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Willow Update

Post Thanks / Like

i'm so glad to hear she's feeling better and life is getting back to normal.

only one of my vets asked about anal glands, the one i consider to be the best of all I've seen, the one who asked the right questions and shows a lot of 'thinking on her feet" intelligence. she asked if zack had been scooting, i was surprised because i had brought him in for something that didn't have GI symptoms. I answered hesitantly that he had had some scooting, it was uncommon and i didn't think it necessarily needed treatment. She expressed the glands and told me there wasn't that much in there, i don't think he needed it done. And following the procedure, he started scooting a lot and i was told when i spoke to the vet that this was normal after anal gland expression.

As for whether an infection was spread by an unclean medical tool, you'll never be able to find that out. Theoretically it could've happened, but who knows?

That she was getting better even before the flagyl is interesting, diagnositically. How was it determined that it was a bacterial infection? Did they culture it and find out what kind of bacteria it was? What was the basis for saying it as a bacterial infection?

anyway, again, it's great that she is doing better. And it's great that youll be having insurance on her.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy,

I am so glad that Willow is getting better

I really would doubt that the infection was caused by the thermometer as Vets store them in a special sterilizing solution that kills just about - I think it would be more than their business would be worth to be lapse about something like that.

A bacterial infection can take some time to actually develop and I would have thought that it was more likely something that has been present in her since before she came home with you. Also, constipation can cause things to get worse as the toxins that are normally expelled upon defecation build up in the body. This is why, if we ever get constipated it makes us feel yukky and headachey

Flagyl is excellent for killing bacterial infections and gets to work really quickly too. I hope the little one is soon all better & I'm sure that with all the TLC she gets from you and your family, her recovery will be even quicker still

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judy
    How was it determined that it was a bacterial infection? Did they culture it and find out what kind of bacteria it was? What was the basis for saying it as a bacterial infection?

anyway, again, it's great that she is doing better. And it's great that youll be having insurance on her.
    Hi, Judy. They did a fecal exam and tested it while my husband waited at the appointment. I wasnt there, so I dont know if they told him what type of bacteria. All he told me was that they said it was a bacterial infection, but they werent sure if was in the anal glands or the digestive tract.

She is doing must better; back to normal, really. So it is just one of those things!
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    Cindy,

I really would doubt that the infection was caused by the thermometer as Vets store them in a special sterilizing solution that kills just about - I think it would be more than their business would be worth to be lapse about something like that.
    Yes, I know the office should have sterile equipment. Still, I dont think this thermometer was stored in any solution. It is kept in a drawer in the exam room. I assume they clean it after each exam, but sometimes people make mistakes...

At any rate, no matter how she got sick, she's back to normal now. I worry so much when they are sick that I make myself sick! So I'm glad we are all back on schedule.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)