• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Professional teeth cleaning?

BrodieSkyward

I would like to know who has had their Cavalier's teeth professionally cleaned...and at what age?

Brodie turned 2 in April and he is beginning to get the brown tartar on his back teeth. My vet says that it isn't time for a professional cleaning just yet but I am worried that if I wait too long he could have damage under the gumline. After reading a thread started by Cathy titled "Dentist" this can be a serious problem.
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1932&highlight=teeth+cleaning

How do you guys feel about this? I know that we should avoid anesthesia with Cavaliers unless absolutley necessary...but considering the relationship of MVD and dental disease, when does this become a risk we are willing to take?

:thnku: in advance!!!

I will add that one of the big reasons I had Jake's teeth cleaned was he hadn't had it done ever and I wanted a really thorough cleaning after the cancer in his mouth. I will have Shelby done in February during pet dental month.

Cathy T said:
I will add that one of the big reasons I had Jake's teeth cleaned was he hadn't had it done ever and I wanted a really thorough cleaning after the cancer in his mouth. I will have Shelby done in February during pet dental month.

I'm sorry to hear that Jake had cancer in his mouth...I didn't know :( Hope he is all better now! How old was he when this happened?

How old is Shelby? Will she be anesthesized for the cleaning?

:flwr:

Jake had squamous cell carcinoma on his jawbone when he was 2 years old and had his upper left jawbone removed. He's doing absolutely fantastic now!!

Shelby will be anesthesized for her teeth cleaning. It's the only way they can get under the gumline to do a thorough cleaning. Teeth can look perfectly between to the eye and have problems under the gum line. Shelby turned 3 this month.

I start them at age 2 (February is discount dental month in the US!) then take them every year or so (ask vet if they need attention.)

We had Chocolate's done when she was spayed last winter/spring. I just checked India's mouth and will schedule her very soon. Geordie can wait until February.

My little maltese mix had to go in every 6 months! She had to have several teeth pulled, so I took her more often in my efforts to save her teeth.

It may seem expensive, but is well worth every penny spent.

When they get very old it's best to have a discussion with the vet, since anesthesia is harder on the older dogs.

Do you brush your dog's teeth? It really makes a difference in how often they need professional cleaning. My trainer brushes her dog's teeth every night and after 3 years her vet says the teeth look great and still don't need a professional clean-up job. I went out and bought Kingston a doggie dental kit from Petsmart.

I have had the boys teeth cleaned I think one was 21/2 and the other 3 (had them done at seperate intervals), at the time I was not aware of the associated problems of poor dental hygiene. My vet said they needed doing so I got em done. I now brush their teeth daily and am hoping this will prolong them needing it done again.
There were no probs with the anesthesia, and was told in a healthy dog the gains out weigh the risk ?? (told this by Harry's cardiologist)

I've brushed Misha's teeth his whole life and he had his first dental at age 9. The "look" of the tarter didn't seem bad to the vet, but I noticed one of his teeth was wobbly and so he had a dental. He ended up getting 9 :yikes teeth pulled. Really glad I'm thorough in checking his mouth because even the vet missed this. He made it through the anesthesia fine and only appeared sore the next morning prior to receiving his pain-killer. The teeth came from all different spots so it's actually not noticable that he's missing so many.

In addition to teeth brushing, we've used Oravet since his teeth cleaning. It looks expensive, but I can use one little packet for 4 teeth applications. We also have used Oxyfresh in his water.

For teeth brushing, I'd recommend the poultry flavored toothpaste. Misha thinks he's getting a wonderful treat every time I brush his teeth because of it!

Thanks so much everyone! This definitely gives me some insight into the matter.

I have to admit, I don't brush Brodie's teeth every day...I do however brush them 2 or 3 times a week, which is good but probably not enough. I also will admit that my brushing technique probably isn't the most thorough because he will only tolerate a few swipes with the toothbrush per side...and I might as well forget it on his front teeth - he spits out the toothbrush in one second flat :yuk: I do always follow up with one of those pre-soaked dental pads on his front teeth though. I wish I had started this when I first got him but I just didn't know.

I have bought and tried every dental gadget/product out there. The finger brushes (both rubber and nylon bristols), 2 different types of tooth scrapers, 3 different styles of toothbrushes, water treatment (It is supposed to be tasteless but not to my little stinker :sl*p: ), beef, vanilla, and poultry toothpaste (yeeesss, he loves the poultry flavor), oral b electric toothbrush (I read about a lady using this and having perfectly clean doggie teeth - would be wonderful if he'd let me but not a chance :roll:) Petrodex dental spray, and the pink liquid stuff that I put on these sponge sticks and wipe on his teeth, and I mustn't forget...disposable surgical gloves with bristles on the index finger :lpy: Jeeez, I sure am gullible :lol:

It's great to know that February is Pet-Dental month - I'll definitely look into that. And...I will MAKE myself brush his teeth more - now that I know others do this...I can too (y)

Thanks again Everyone! I'm gonna go brush some teeth!!!

I brush their teeth regularly with poultry flavored toothpaste. The kind I buy is from the vets. It's C.E.T enzymatic toothpaste. I have used Petrodex from PetSmart, but thought the enzymes in the C.E.T. might be more effective for cleaning, since I cannot brush theirs as thoroughly as I do my own. I keep forgetting to ask the vet about that.

They all love to have their teeth brushed, because I let them lick their toothbrushes between brush strokes. Geordie and Chockie are fairly easy to brush, but India is a little less cooperative :lol: That's why she's going to need a dental before Geordie.

Back