• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

i want another cavalier!

emmawright

hello everyone, just wondering on your opinions about getting a 2nd cavalier, Daisy is now 13 weeks, and i love her so much! really excited about getting another cav in the near future, probably next year. i also think it would be great for daisy to have another one to play with! when should i start to consider another one, or does it not really matter? i know cavaliers are mostly easy going, so i hope that a new addition would be ok for daisy, they should get on ok shouldnt they?

I can't answer your question but it's been nice to read your comments as you are a new Cavalier owner and I will be too in December. You're obviously enjoying your new puppy :dogwlk:

We just got Arthur a few weeks ago and Duncan is about 18 months. It has been a great time for Duncan to have a playmate although I am glad that Arthur was a bit older (16 weeks) when we got him. It has allowed for them to play a little rougher without our intervention to "protect" the puppy.

I will say this that two cavaliers is not just double everything it is exponential...more than twice the work but also more than twice the love...watching them love on each other pulls at my heartstrings like nothing else.

I have heard that once the first is fully potty trained, you can get a second. My neighbor has two "Fred and Ginger" and they are 6 months apart... and they are so sweet together!

Someone advised me to wait on getting another dog until my first was more mature and reliably trained. Puppies tend to pick up on the bad habits of other dogs. I'm SO glad I waited until Wrigley (my Golden) was broken of any really bad habits and able to have free roam of the house during the day while I'm out. I think Mia was much easier to leash train because she just followed Wrigley--in fact there was no leash training, she just took to it the first time. I also think she was a little easier to potty train, as she went out when he did and pottied when he did... She also follows him when I tell him to sit, lay down, etc. Of course, Mia was a little older when I got her (7 mos.) so that may have made a big difference in her trainability.

Just some things to think about... I definitely love having two dogs, though--they really entertain each other! And it is double the love for sure! :lotsaluv:

I felt the same way after getting my first cavalier. Pippin was 5 months old when I got him. He learned all his commands quickly and his house break training went very smoothly. I went back to the same breeder when Pippin was 10 months old and she had a new litter. Merry came home 2 months later when Pippin was 1 year old. The two of them are now best friends. They sleep together and play together. It is very sweet.

I agree that you should wait for at least a year, if not longer. Your puppy is still very young, and some aren't totally reliable in the house until they're over one. My older girl is 3 and a half, and my baby puppy is not yet eleven weeks. They are starting to play together, and 24 hours in, it's been pretty painless so far. So far! :badgrin: :badgrin: Looking back, I couldn't have had a pup before now- Holly's mature, pretty reliable, and er, sort of sensible. About some things. Nothing funnier than seeing a little puppy be brave about things that has said mature, reliable, reasonably sensible dog barking like a lunatic :D :D Plus, with all the health issues Cavs have, as people have pointed out elsewhere, a three year gap is a good one as you are less likely to be dealing with two dogs who are both elderly and with compromised health at the same time, whilst at three, the older dog is still young enough to enjoy the pup.

My babies are 14 months apart. Perfect! Jake was completely house trained and very reliable. We had a really nice routine. Shelby came in and just fell right into order. She was so much easier than Jake. Jake really trained her.

The thought of getting a 2nd Cavalier crosses my mind EVERY time I come to this forum and see everyone's pictures.
LOL, I haven't even got my first pup here yet I'm alredy thinking about getting another one!!! I totally hear you. :)

My OH wants another cavalier :shock: , but then we'd probably have to get a second terrier to even things out :yikes

Back