• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

sleeping with your cav

laurenlyn1

I'm sure a lot of you guys let you cav sleep with you at night. I knew I do and I wouldn't want it any other way (even though he's still a puppy and has peed in the bed before, but it's really high and he can't jump off, i'll have to get some steps for him someday) I do everything for my cav, take him out feed him play and give lovin' and treats and sometimes not so fun stuff like brushing and baths. But my problem is at night when I go to sleep Brady always cuddles next to my boyfriend and not me. If I go to bed first, he'll start out by me and he could be sleeping for 2 hours but as soon as my boyfriend gets in bed he moves by him. My boyfriend wasn't excited at all about getting our first pet, but I really wanted one and I agreed to do most of the work so he doesn't even want Brady by him at night. I'm wondering if Brady knows my boyfriend doesn't really like him that much (he says having a dog is a pain, but I know deep down he loves Brady) so he's trying to win some cuddle points or something. And if I try to move Brady by me he'll stay for a little bit, but move right back over. We've had him for about 3 months now and it's always been this way since we started to let him sleep with us. :( I want my Brady boy to cuddle by me :(

Brady's Mommy

Awwww you have my sympathies. Maybe Brady is trying to win him round a bit like the 'you WILL love me' routine :lol: :lol: :lol:

My hubby wanted another big dog or a Springer before we had Cavaliers but I insisted that I was going to have a Cavalier. Now he says he'd never have any other breed of dog :lol:

Actually, this'll make you laugh.... Last weekend hubby went out for a few drinks with his mates and as he rarely drinks he only needs a few to get him drunk.

I collected him and his mate from town and as they were getting into my car I moved the dogs' blankets over on the back seat so he wouldn't get covered in hair. I asked what sort of dog he had and he replied 'a giant Schnauzer' hubby suddenly pipes up 'Well when your dog dies you should get a Cavalier, they're much nicer than Scnhauzers' :yikes :lol:

I related this back to him the following morning but of course he could remember nothing. Luckily, his mate has a sense of humour :roll: :lol:

i used to want a mini schnauzer for the longest time, my boyfriend parents have 2 girls, and a jack russel boy. but i just fell in love with the temperment of the cavalier. my friend has one, and he sister has 2! and after i wanted the mini schnauzer i wanted a yorkie, but the i decided that they are way too small and just not a nice :) i love my brady and i wouldn't have it any other way.
Funny story too...a while back one of my friends friends was trying to find a home for their yorkie, and I joked around with my boyfriend and said i was going to go pick it up that afternoon, he started to pack all his stuff up into his car (he only lived with me for about 2 months at the time, but we were together for 7 years before he moved in) i thought it was pretty funny because he acted like such a girl! he's stuck around so far now that brady is here. i can't wait until i move out of my townhouse and get a real house so i can have a yard for him to run around in. plus then i can just let him out to do his thing and i don't have to stand there in the cold (it isn't even his first winter yet and i'm already complaining!)

Brady's Mommy

I wish I had some advice for you... Maybe you could sleep with some treats stuffed into your pajamas! :D

I have the opposite problem actually. Kingston loves his daddy but he's a FAR second to mommy. Sometimes I think my boyfriend's feelings get hurt. I always thought he liked me best because I'm the one who picked him up from the breeder and I'm the one who feeds him and coddles him. Maybe your boyfriend is secretly giving your dog treats and cuddles when you're not around! haha

This is one of the reasons we have two. :lol:

Beauregard was supposed to be Jean's dog...but there's no question that he's daddy's little man. Elvis loves me, too... but he ADORES Jean.

KC

brady's mommy, it sounds like there's only one solution--kick boyfriend out of the bed. ;)

seriously, i wonder if there is some kind of scent involved. who knows. maybe a dog psychologist. dogs definitely have those kinds of preferences. my cat is like that too. she used plays with a couple of my guy friends and come out of of hiding and rubs against their legs, while with other people who visits, she stays out of sight. And she plays with David in a way that she has never played with Lisa and I. i don't know what explains it.

You could try sleeping in your boyfriend's pajamas, ones that have not been laundered since he used them.

Do you sleep on the same side of the bed everynight ?? Maybe if so change sides, there maybe something about the position he prefers eg, next to wall or closer to door/window etc ???

Good luck

Hi Brady's mum, try not to complain too much- at least you get to be able to stretch you legs!!! :D Maybe it has something to do with body temperature??
Julie and the girls

Yep, I really believe it has to do with body temperature. The same thing happens with Kris and I; the dogs always wedge themselves up against me. Kris says I radiate heat at night. If she touches me, she says I feel hot; if I touch her she feels cool.

That makes sense - Joel is like an oven at night - Merlin will snuggle into the bend of his knee - he doesn't come near me (i thought it must be because I move alot at night)

judy said:
brady's mommy, it sounds like there's only one solution--kick boyfriend out of the bed. ;)

:lol: :lol: I couldn't agree more!!!!

Seriously, does your boyfriend really not like Brady? I think I'd be finding a new boyfriend if it was me :badgrin: It's 'love me, love my dogs and any others I bring home' in this house. Even Whitney is sleeping on the bed with us. At 2am this morning, she must have gotten down for a wander and then realised she couldn't get back up. I was awoken by her woofing and crying at me and hubby saying 'Wake up and put your charge back in between us, she doesn't like the doggy bed and needs to cuddle' :lol:

This is the man who is built like 'a brick proverbial' :lol: :lol: :lol:

he says he doesn't like brady, but he's here to stay. if he can't deal with that, then he needs to leave, we agreed about getting a pet and he shouldn't back out. he says that brady is a "kind of a pain in the ass" but i see that he smiles when he plays with him, so deep down, brady has touched his heart, he just won't admit it.

Back