• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leather furniture

brid kenny

I am thinking of getting a leather couch for my kitchen as the one I have is vvvvvv old.
Would a doggie i.e. Phoebe,scrape it with nails?

Hiya,

I have got a cream leather sofa. She doesn't scratch it but she does make it look forever filthy!!! :)
Especially now the weathers gone bad - I think she enjoys putting muddy paw prints all over it, although it is funny when you catch her - if I walk into the room she will just lie down quickly and give me those what mummy 'I didn't do anything' eyes icon_whistling

It depends on what type of leather the couch is made from. I have two leather chairs... what I did was actually scratch the leather samples at the store with my fingernails to see what effect there would be.

Some leathers will show marks and some won't. Some people like that scratchy look. I prefer the leather looking nice and smooth and, well, leathery! icon_whistling

I've had one of my chairs for almost six years and the leather still looks like new! I clean and condition it only once per year and it stays wonderfully.

aloha, barb is right. depends on the leather you get. I used to sell leather furniture. there are several ways to tan the hides which gets you a different look and wearability and cleanability. you want family friendly leather. durable, cleanable. look like new for years and years. tell your salesmen they should show you the difference. look for leather that feel more slick. it is not butter soft and plush, but still feels nice. run your nail on the sample. it should not show. these leathers have more of a "build up" of protective wax's and polishes. (the term is analin and semi analin) you can get nice buys in this leather as a lot of people want durable cleanable. the stuff that scratch's is very soft, it will wear in and look like a great old antique heirloom chair if you want that look then the leather that is slick won't work for that. leather is great and should last a very long time.

Wow thanks Vikki! That's a mini lesson in leather furniture buying for those of us considering such a thing! :) I'd like a leather sofa too as in between cats and dogs, fabric gets pretty scruffy.

I have leather lounge and the girls jump up on it all the time and it is still fine. However, we have to be more careful with my son's Boxer as he is much stronger and has sharper nails but so far everything is fine. :xfngr:
Julie and the girls

We bought all leather furniture a couple years ago and it was worth every penny we spent on it. Now guests can sit down without being covered with fur when they get up. I HATED our fabric furniture because it was so hard to get the hair and dirt off. Just can't say enough good about leather; but, like Vikki said, the right leather. The only thing I don't like about it is that, compared to fabric, it's cold in the winter when you first sit down and bare skin tends to stick to it when it's really hot. But I guess that's just the nature of the beast; just not that important to me considering the advantages.

Say Vikki, where were you when Kris and I were spending all that time researching leather? :lol: just kidding!!

I have a leather suite and I have no problem with Max or our cat lilo, scratching it, Max often jumps up when he's wet trying to dry himself as he always did on our old fabric suite and apart from it getting more noticably dirtier it doesn't get scratched at all.
Our old fabric suite was filthy, from all the pets, from spills of fluids or even food, ugh!
A good wipe down gets it nice and clean and a throwover for extra comfort works well.

Having said all that, we love the recliner chairs but hate the sofa, it's just too hard!

We have two two seater black leather sofas and Darren has a lazzeee boy (present for given up smoking), the leather is quite hard wearing and the boys haven't scratched it at all, although it does get a wipe down once or twice a week as Woody normally comes in from a walk and roll himself all over everything... :yikes

Bruce H said:
We bought all leather furniture a couple years ago and it was worth every penny we spent on it. Now guests can sit down without being covered with fur when they get up. I HATED our fabric furniture because it was so hard to get the hair and dirt off. Just can't say enough good about leather; but, like Vikki said, the right leather. The only thing I don't like about it is that, compared to fabric, it's cold in the winter when you first sit down and bare skin tends to stick to it when it's really hot. But I guess that's just the nature of the beast; just not that important to me considering the advantages.

Say Vikki, where were you when Kris and I were spending all that time researching leather? :lol: just kidding!!

We are thinking of getting leather for our sunroom. It would look better stylistically (room has vaulted pine ceiling with beams) and it would be better with the dog fur. But in the sunroom, the issues cold and heat that Bruce describes will probably be pretty annoying. Is there anyway to avoid the cold and skin-sticking effects and still have a durable leather the girls wont destroy?

We bought a navy leather suite almost 7 years ago and it still looks like new. As Vikki has said you need to be careful about the grade of leather you buy and it really is worth paying a little bit more for a good sofa as you'll certainly get your wear out of it.

We had one first of all from a large furniture retailer (three letters in their name, always having half price sales.& 'double discount'....) and it was appalling, delivered covered in scratches and even a tiny tear in it.

We waited 4 months for it to be delivered as it was supposedly being made in Italy... When it arrived, the guys on the lorry told us that it had actually been made in Bradford and they'd been to pick up a consignment from there the day before :shock: Wouldn't have minded but it wasn't even finished when it arrived - they delivery guys were banging the arms on and the feet in in our lounge and hubby was mortified!

Needless to say, it went back. My nephews wife was working in the complaints office for them at the time and she almost died when we told her we'd bought a sofa from them!

Ours came from The Sofa Company which I believe is now trading under Klaussner Retail. It's a Klaussner suite anyway and so comfy you just melt into it. We had leather because I didn't want to stop Maxx from jumping up on the sofa and our material one was getting tatty. I can't recommend that company enough to buy furniture from, they were excellent & all furniture comes with excellent info sheets and care guides.

I buy the cheapo leather cleaner spray from the £1 shop and usually clean it thoroughly two or three times a year but wipe the seats and arms down with the cleaner once a week.

I am pleased as the leather is very thick but supple and it copes really well with dog claws, studs on my eldest son's belts and buckle's on my mate's kids shoes. I'm just getting bored with the colour now :lol:

I would love to have a leather chair someday... I'd like to get one that is like nubuck leather, it would show the scratches, but I like that casual look.

The sofa and chairs I have right now are from Arhaus, and they have washable slip covers. :) I was glad of that when India peed on the sofa :shock: and a chair when she had a bladder infection. I just removed the covers and threw them in the washer and dryer, then treated the cushions with Simple Solution. :flwr:

leather will take on the temp of the room but should warm up to your body temp very quickly. not much you can do about it except throw a sheet or blanket on it. it is very durable and now day's more affordable than ever. I have lots of boring furniture/mattress facts & info still hanging out in this retired brain. :yikes

We have a leather couch we got 3 years ago as a wedding present from my parents. We LOVE IT!

Izzy likes to dig when she's wet so we watch her for that but other than that it hasn't been an issue.

Leather all the way :D :D :D :D

We have a Black Leather Sofa/Loveseat we bought almost 10 years ago, still looks brand new.

We also bought a Burgandy Leather Sofa/Loveseat for the basement a few years ago, the quality is not as good as the Black one but this one looks Brand new too as it is not used as much.

I will never go back to fabric.
It was worth every penny, for the dogs and a houseful of kids. :jump:

Another thing to consider also, our Black Sofa has zippers so we can change the seats/backs and arms around so they don't get worn when Frank is glued to it. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

My mom bought one of the fitted ones, and was sorry as the seats are getting worn and she can't change them around. So she just needs to move herself around. icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

Moviedust said:
We are thinking of getting leather for our sunroom. It would look better stylistically (room has vaulted pine ceiling with beams) and it would be better with the dog fur. But in the sunroom, the issues cold and heat that Bruce describes will probably be pretty annoying. Is there anyway to avoid the cold and skin-sticking effects and still have a durable leather the girls wont destroy?

As far as I know, not much that you can do short of throwing some sort of washable cover over it. I've gotten used to it now and it doesn't bother me as much as it first did. We do have one fabric chair left that we literally throw a sheet over when it's just us; I keep telling Kris it reminds me of Ma & Pa Kettle's living room :lol: Again, considering the advantages, we will never buy anything but leather again.

So, how hany of you remember Ma & Pa Kettle?? Probably just us "mature" people!

Geez Ma and Pa Kettle. Now they had great furniture. The goats and chickens lived on it and nothing destroyed it but maybe Pa!

We also have leather. It is cooler in the winter than fabric, but we lay a throw blanket on the main sofa most of the time and just take it off when we have guests. Wrigley knows he can lay on the sofa with the throw over it and never attempts to lay on the one without. This way, it keeps the kids from spilling their drinks on the leather, and the throw blanket can be washed easily when it gets dirty.

*Snicker* Wait til I tell my mother about this thread. She announced last weekend that Holly and Chloe will never, ever, be allowed into the living room again, as Holly has apparently scratched the leather on the new sofa. Wait til I tell her that it evidently wasn't a good enough grade! :lol: :lol: Thing is, they're also talking about getting one for the kitchen.

Dad: What about the dogs?

Mum: They're not my dogs. I furnish my house for me, not her dogs!

Holly: :p (Ok, not really)

..which means the dogs will not be allowed to cuddle. I'll tell my mum that in that case she can buy me/them one of those mock sofa things for dogs just so everyone is happy :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm

Seriously, I'll mention this to my Dad on Sunday- they may be able to check re the new sofa whether it is dog proof.

Doesn't your Mum love the dogs Lisa? I don't know how anyone can not love a Cav :roll: I'd fill my house with them if I could afford it :lol:

Back