Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather furniture

Post Thanks / Like

We bought a navy leather suite almost 7 years ago and it still looks like new. As Vikki has said you need to be careful about the grade of leather you buy and it really is worth paying a little bit more for a good sofa as you'll certainly get your wear out of it.

We had one first of all from a large furniture retailer (three letters in their name, always having half price sales.& 'double discount'....) and it was appalling, delivered covered in scratches and even a tiny tear in it.

We waited 4 months for it to be delivered as it was supposedly being made in Italy... When it arrived, the guys on the lorry told us that it had actually been made in Bradford and they'd been to pick up a consignment from there the day before Wouldn't have minded but it wasn't even finished when it arrived - they delivery guys were banging the arms on and the feet in in our lounge and hubby was mortified!

Needless to say, it went back. My nephews wife was working in the complaints office for them at the time and she almost died when we told her we'd bought a sofa from them!

Ours came from The Sofa Company which I believe is now trading under Klaussner Retail. It's a Klaussner suite anyway and so comfy you just melt into it. We had leather because I didn't want to stop Maxx from jumping up on the sofa and our material one was getting tatty. I can't recommend that company enough to buy furniture from, they were excellent & all furniture comes with excellent info sheets and care guides.

I buy the cheapo leather cleaner spray from the £1 shop and usually clean it thoroughly two or three times a year but wipe the seats and arms down with the cleaner once a week.

I am pleased as the leather is very thick but supple and it copes really well with dog claws, studs on my eldest son's belts and buckle's on my mate's kids shoes. I'm just getting bored with the colour now

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love to have a leather chair someday... I'd like to get one that is like nubuck leather, it would show the scratches, but I like that casual look.

The sofa and chairs I have right now are from Arhaus, and they have washable slip covers. I was glad of that when India peed on the sofa and a chair when she had a bladder infection. I just removed the covers and threw them in the washer and dryer, then treated the cushions with Simple Solution.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

leather will take on the temp of the room but should warm up to your body temp very quickly. not much you can do about it except throw a sheet or blanket on it. it is very durable and now day's more affordable than ever. I have lots of boring furniture/mattress facts & info still hanging out in this retired brain.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a leather couch we got 3 years ago as a wedding present from my parents. We LOVE IT!

Izzy likes to dig when she's wet so we watch her for that but other than that it hasn't been an issue.

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather all the way

We have a Black Leather Sofa/Loveseat we bought almost 10 years ago, still looks brand new.

We also bought a Burgandy Leather Sofa/Loveseat for the basement a few years ago, the quality is not as good as the Black one but this one looks Brand new too as it is not used as much.

I will never go back to fabric.
    It was worth every penny, for the dogs and a houseful of kids.

Another thing to consider also, our Black Sofa has zippers so we can change the seats/backs and arms around so they don't get worn when Frank is glued to it.

My mom bought one of the fitted ones, and was sorry as the seats are getting worn and she can't change them around. So she just needs to move herself around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moviedust
    We are thinking of getting leather for our sunroom. It would look better stylistically (room has vaulted pine ceiling with beams) and it would be better with the dog fur. But in the sunroom, the issues cold and heat that Bruce describes will probably be pretty annoying. Is there anyway to avoid the cold and skin-sticking effects and still have a durable leather the girls wont destroy?
    As far as I know, not much that you can do short of throwing some sort of washable cover over it. I've gotten used to it now and it doesn't bother me as much as it first did. We do have one fabric chair left that we literally throw a sheet over when it's just us; I keep telling Kris it reminds me of Ma & Pa Kettle's living room Again, considering the advantages, we will never buy anything but leather again.

So, how hany of you remember Ma & Pa Kettle?? Probably just us "mature" people!
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Ma and Pa Kettle. Now they had great furniture. The goats and chickens lived on it and nothing destroyed it but maybe Pa!
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

We also have leather. It is cooler in the winter than fabric, but we lay a throw blanket on the main sofa most of the time and just take it off when we have guests. Wrigley knows he can lay on the sofa with the throw over it and never attempts to lay on the one without. This way, it keeps the kids from spilling their drinks on the leather, and the throw blanket can be washed easily when it gets dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

*Snicker* Wait til I tell my mother about this thread. She announced last weekend that Holly and Chloe will never, ever, be allowed into the living room again, as Holly has apparently scratched the leather on the new sofa. Wait til I tell her that it evidently wasn't a good enough grade! Thing is, they're also talking about getting one for the kitchen.

Dad: What about the dogs?

Mum: They're not my dogs. I furnish my house for me, not her dogs!

Holly: (Ok, not really)

..which means the dogs will not be allowed to cuddle. I'll tell my mum that in that case she can buy me/them one of those mock sofa things for dogs just so everyone is happy

Hmmmm

Seriously, I'll mention this to my Dad on Sunday- they may be able to check re the new sofa whether it is dog proof.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't your Mum love the dogs Lisa? I don't know how anyone can not love a Cav I'd fill my house with them if I could afford it