• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about licking issue

KingstonsMom

Kingston, my five-month-old who just had eye surgery, has developed a new habit that has me worried. He licks his lips a lot, especially when playing. It's as if the toys hurt his mouth. He will be chewing on a toy for a few seconds but then he stops completely and licks his lips over and over. Sometimes he doesn't want to play at all, which is very unusual!

He's on a few medications from his eye surgery which the doctor said would make him extremely thirsty. Maybe the meds are producing a licking reaction as well???

He's been losing teeth lately. Maybe his gums are just sore?

I'm fairly certain that 5-6 months is a really big teething time for pups - his mouth may not feel so good right now. Try what Karlin has suggested: wet a facecloth, wring it out, put it in the freezer. Then let him chew on it. Poor baby - don't expect too much from him right now!

Freezing a kong is also good. And if you can stuff it with something yummy like peanut butter prior to freezing it, even better. :)

Thanks for the great ideas! Kingston is definitely teething. Poor thing lost another tooth just a little while ago... Well, I'm off to freeze stuff!

There's a toy called a Chilly Bone that you can freeze, that puppies also like when teething. I'd guess he probably feels a bit under the weather from surgery and teething combined.

I have the petstages soft chew that can be frozen so will use it- but the facecloth sounds cheaper. Just out of interest, is the puppy dribbling more? Holly never dribbled before she was spayed, but for quite a while afterwards (until very recently- or I've just stopped noticing), she would dribble and slobber when she was sleeping. I'm convinced it was as a result of the op/anaesthetic.

I hope Kingston feels better soon.

Nope, no dribbling from Kingston. The only noticeable effect from the anesthetic was that he slept for two days afterwards!

I tried the frozen facecloth and Kingston wanted nothing to do with it. I'm gonna try to find some teething toys, and he likes his frozen kong! Thanks for the help everyone.

You can get puppy toys that you put in a fridge or freezer before giving them to the pup. I bought a bone shaped one with tassley bits on the end for Alison's Daisy when she got her as a pup.

I don't know that she ever got to use it though as Hunnybuns (Alison's baby at the Bridge) took it to her bed and sat on it, she really liked it bless her. We said she was having her puppyhood at long last :D *ng*l

Back