Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TDI for Children

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, that's a WONDERFUL idea.

I'd love to hear more about it once you get started.
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks! Here is the information from the TDI website:
    http://www.tdi-dog.org/childrenreadingtodogs.htm

It's really a great program. If the school doesn't want us, I'm going to call some local libraries.

I didn't get a chance to talk to my boss today, but I'm hoping I'll catch up with him tomorrow!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.therapyanimals.org/read/index.php

This is a new program that is becoming very popular.

This is the website for the Reading to Dogs program. There is another site called Reading to Rover that really explains how the program evolved. I am going to a Public school that is for Autistic and Emotionally disturbed children on Wednesday for the first time, and I may do the reading program with a child. It depends how things go. I am only going to bring one dog this time. My two are certified to work as a team and individually by TDI. If they work as a team they will also test them together as well as individually.

Congratulations to all the pups that are participating in a therapy program. We are getting so much out of it. The cavaliers help people young and old so much. It is a great felling to give back with our dogs.

BS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine are only allowed to work separately, so I have to take one or the other. I'm thinking of getting them tested as a team in the future. Is it difficult to work with a team?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

They are great as a team if I do a demonstration in a group recreation room. The residents get a kick out of the way they do everything together. I show them how they sit, down, stay, come, etc. They see how obedient they are and then they want to pet , and hold them. THey also look very cute together.

This is where it gets tricky. Most of the time they are fine, but every once and a while the cavalier who is not being held, asks to be held. Then I have to change their positions and switch. I find that when I have many residents who want to hold the dogs, alternating the two is less stressful. I have only taken the two to nursing homes and assisted living homes. I plan to take only one at a time to the school for autistic children. I was advised to only take one to the school because it might be too much for the kids to see two at the same time. I will let you know how it turns out.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Cathy I'm so pleased for you. As someone who is dyslexic, I would have loved to practice my reading this way. When I was a kid, not that long ago we had to stand beside the teacher at the front of the class and read quietly to her while the class got on with their work. I'd read as quiet as possible as I didnt want anyone to hear me struggling

When I get my dog, I'd like to train him really well and try taking him into hospitals as a comfort to patients, I forget the name of the program.

Does any one know how I get started?