• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

You are what you eat

cecily

I was just reading through some posts there and found it very interesting what some of you were saying about feeding dogs whole foods. Judy, I followed that link you posted (http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm) and it made a lot of sense to me.

Rather than hijacking someone elses thread, I just thought I'd do a quick survey... what do you feed your dogs?

We used the Royal Canin mini junior but I'm now very interested in other options for the future. I had a pomeranian growing up who is now going on 17 and lives at home with my parents. He is fed mostly on human leftovers, with specially cooked chicken or mince (just for him!!!), mixed in with a bit of porridge / soaked brown bread, and a little pedigree chum. He's had nothing wrong with him his whole life, and although he's a bit blind, deaf and arthritic now he's in good shape for an OAP! I wondered if maybe if a similar path might be the way to go in future. I loved the idea someone mentioned (Cathy? Donna??) about using raw carrots as treats.

We feed Izzy Innova Adult
We feed Abby Innova Puppy

Both get Cheerios to supplant the fiber

I feed Mia Natural Balance Potato/Duck kibble and Natures Variety Raw Venison with a squirt of Grizzly Salmon oil--she seems to love it. Finally found something she'll eat consistently--without my begging and hand feeding! :roll:

Wrigley eats Natures Variety Raw Instinct kibble and NV Raw Venison and Grizzly Salmon oil. He loves it and his coat is looking so good...still has some skin allergy issues, but that seems to be clearing up somewhat.

I sometimes throw in some green beans or peas--they love that too.

Love your avatar, Cecily!! Such sweet puppy memories!

Okay, I admit it. I feed Eukanuba Puppy formula! Apparently, most people on the board don't like this brand. I tried to buy the Eukanuba Adult (since the puppy kind is supposedly not good for pups' growth), but the Eukanuba lady at Petsmart argued with me! So I bought the Puppy formula. Man, I'm weak.

Is Eukanuba really bad? My vet said it was a good choice. What is the best dog food and how do you know it's the best?

I feed either Bravo or FarMore raw in mostly chicken and turkey. Will eventually branch out to red meats too.

Sometimes I supplement with a little bit of kibble such as Nature's Logic, Innova, or Chicken Soup.

He gets USDA organic dog treats from a local pet bakery, we love the peanut butter flavor. He also gets healthy people foods like bits of meat, egg, and veggies.

Supplements: General food supplement made by Nature's Logic, Vitamin E, and for Arthritis Glucosamine/Chondroitin, MSM, Duralactin, Welactin

I personally don't think Eukanuba is a bad food, but I do think there are better ones out there.

I feed my dogs two meals a day.

In the morning, they get Nature's Variety Raw (2 oz.) mixed with 1 teaspoon of non-fat plain yogurt, seameal, and 1/2 teaspoon of lipiderm.

In the evening, they get 1/3 cup of Nature's Variety kibble.

I rotate the protein source of the raw and kibble with in the Nature's Variety line.

They get a small raw baby carrot about twice a day, as a treat for "kenneling up." I'm thinking of rotating some green beans in the mix.

Does this sound okay for my dogs, 7 months and 14 months? Any suggestions?

Mic

We feed ours Innova Evo kibble

Sometimes we add a little canned Evo 95% beef or chicken/turkey

We give them Evo treats, mainly when we're leaving the house.

For treats when we call them in from outside - they think California Natural lamb & rice kibble is a treat. I reinforce recall regularly!

For tiny snacks and tasty bits, they get cut up fresh carrot, apple, zucchini squash, english cucumber, tiny bits of banana, frozen green beans, cut up chicken. We just give them a taste if we're fixing it for ourselves, but only once/daily.

For training, agility they get reduced fat mozzarella string cheese - cut into tiny pieces the size of small peas.

I have fed several things over time but currently use eagle pack natural, two feeds a day with 3 fish oil caps a day (recommended by vet for allergy)

Boys also get fresh fruit or veg for snacks and I know its yuk but half a dentastix a day. (can't have rawhide or bones or anything and love their dentastix even though its probably full of crap i'm sure?)

I also chuck in some tuna or sardines or liver or lambs mince etc a few times a week.

I have also observed some of the oldest dogs I know are fed the simplest home cooked food. One little dog I met was a healthy 17 and has always had Cheap mince, frozen mixed veg and rice or pasta with gravy ????? NOT RECOMMENDING THAT but did marvel how with no supplements etc this dog was so well ??

Hello!
I just switched Coco over to Innova Puppy from what her breeder was feeding her.
I sometimes add grated carrots, mashed banana, mashed strawberry, pumpkin, and boiled chicken to her meals. I just made a soup from the recipe section that Ill be adding twice a week to her meals.
For training treats, she gets bits of apple, carrot, pears, cooked liver (she goes nuts for this!), and her kibble. Occasionally, I give her bits of Itty Bitty Buddy Biscuits Roasted Chicken flavor. The ingredients seem fairly healthy so I hope it is ok. And less often I give her Zuke's Mini Naturals Salmon flavor, which she LOVES (does anyone know if these are healthy? i don't feel too good about them because they have salt. They only have 2.2 calories per morsel though!). I also just bought Mother Nature's Puppy Treats which have great ingredients.
She also gets a bit of peanut butter (all natural- 100% peanuts) smothered on the side of the tub when she is getting a bath! This keeps her from escaping... :lol:
I'm slowly adding other things to her diet.
:flwr:

We feed James Wellbeloved - I've recently been able to get hold of their treats too. Daisy Boo had her vaccinations the other day and the vet was very impressed with her weight and coat!

I also occasionally feed things like roast chicken or beef casserole when I'm cooking it for ourselves.

Joanna

Holly gets Wainwright's Salmon and Potato. She seems to like it, her coat has improved, she scratches less, and the ingredients (to me) look comparable to more expensive brands like Royal Canin. (£3.99 for 2kg bag)

Chloe currently gets Royal Canin Mini Junior, which the breeder gave me. I'm adding a little Wainwright's into it too, with the aim of using 50/50 wainwrights/RC in order to minimise any negative effects from feeding pure puppy food. Funnily enough, Chloe really loves the Wainwrights, and will eat individual kibble pieces as a treat :lol: :lol:

Holly's diet is supplemented with cod liver oil capsules a couple of times a week, and the Vetzyme vit B supplement- which she's being snobby about at the moment. Also frozen green beans, JWB Crackerjacks, and on Sunday part of the dinner.

Re raw carrot, I read the other day that it was used as a gentle natural wormer for puppies fifty years ago- first resort, and then the stuff from the vet. Anyone know if there's anything in this? I wouldn't mind trying Chloe on raw carrot as an alternative to the powder if it does work.

Maxx has Burns dried but I boy 2 small bags and he has one flavour for brekkie and another for dinner. He also has a dollop of Yeo Valley organic fat free yogurt every night that I hide his tablets in :badgrin: it's good for him as it's full of pre and pro-biotics.

Charlie has stink Butcher's Tripe tinned food and it is revolting :yuk:

I give them treats of carrot, cauliflower, apple, banana, dried liver and JWB mini bites - they also get a Bully stick once a week.

I've just realised that it looks like I give them tons of treats - I don't, they just have a bit of whatever I have at the time. They get a treat from Daddy at 5am and one when he gets in from work (they'll even leave their dinners to get a 'Daddy treat' LOL), if I am working they will get a tiny bit of something as I go out the door and they get something as they go to bed. So, four treats a day and mostly carrots or cauliflower - not really unhealthy!!!!

cecily said:
I
Rather than hijacking someone elses thread, I just thought I'd do a quick survey... what do you feed your dogs?

Innova Evo once or twice per day, one carrot stick a day, which generally lasts 24 hours and longer (the nub of it).

For training treats, mostly Merrick's lamb filet squares broken into tiny pieces.

Thinking of trying Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw patties, need to do some more research first.

Mic said:

In the morning, they get Nature's Variety Raw (2 oz.) mixed with 1 teaspoon of non-fat plain yogurt, seameal, and 1/2 teaspoon of lipiderm.

I rotate the protein source of the raw and kibble with in the Nature's Variety line.

They get a small raw baby carrot about twice a day, as a treat for "kenneling up." I'm thinking of rotating some green beans in the mix.

Mic

I'm no expert, but that sounds really good to me.

food

my two eat chicken,pork,winalot small dog food,and sometimes in the morning they have weetabix or scrambald eggs and molly likes frozen peas ,they dont have it everyday one day its chicken another day its winalot ,charlie had pedigree chum puppy food untill he was one then he changed on to what he eats now they seem fine on what they have they also have chicken or beef chews or dog choklate drops and they love grapes(only a few as not good for them to eat alot )....

judy said:
Mic said:
Mic
I'm no expert, but that sounds really good to me.
Thanks, Judy. The more I learn, the more confused I become!
~Mickey

Re: food

molly+charlies mum said:
... and they love grapes(only a few as not good for them to eat alot )....
Christine, grapes can be very dangerous for dogs, as can raisins. :yikes There have been cases where only 3 grapes have caused organ failure. :yikes I would feed them bits of apple or banana instead, just to be on the safe side.

King gets a 3/4 cup of Innova Evo/ Vets Choice Little Bits mix, wit some Vets Choice Meaty Mix Chicken or Innova Evo canned. He eats only once, he kinda put himself on eating once a day. At night only he gets a few treats during the day, mainly healthy fruits/veggies. He like apples, bananas, carrots, broccoli, various berries (blue, rasp, straw, or black)

Never give grapes or raisins, even in very small amounts can cuz serious health problems in dogs

according to several sources on the net, toxicologists reported that while most reported cases involve ingesting quite a bit of grapes or raisins, as few as seven grapes could cause serious illness. I have no clue where they got the number 7. It's a fairly recent thing and at least in the sources i saw whiich were from around 2001-2002, many vets were unaware of it. There's been an article about it in JAVMA. The problem with giving only a few is just that the dog comes to think of it as a dog-friendly food and might be more likely to go after them if they are on a kitchen counter or table, so it might be best to train them not to think of grapes a dog treat, to reduce the risk of an accidental tragedy of the dog overdosing on them. It's a terrible illness, severe kidney damage/failure, and certainly very expensive to treat.

lots of links about it
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Back