• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HELP: How to clean a kong???

KingstonsMom

Kingston doesn't seem to be very good about getting food out of his kong toy. I just looked inside of it and there's this disgusting mound of food way down in the bottom. I don't know HOW old that stuff is, but I could barely look at it. I made my boyfriend clean it out, but he couldn't get all of it. I think the food is a mixture of a peanut butter dog treat and some pumpkin. I'm considering throwing the kong away, it is SO GROSS.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are top shelf dishwasher safe.

I'd probably put it in a pot of very hot water (just after it boils) and let it sit in there for a while to let the stuff loosen up, and then clean it out with a dull knife before putting it in the dishwasher.

Just a couple of ideas. I'm sure others may have additional suggestions.

Good luck. :)

i threw one out because it got nasty with PB...but the hot water should work. it did for me when the new one got nasty again. or you could try an old toothbrush maybe...it does get nasty. brady likes PB though, (freezing it makes it last longer)

Like others have suggested----Soaking it in hot water should help loosen the gunk. I use a little toothbrush to scrub the inside. They're fine in the dishwasher (top shelf) I run them through frequently.

we use the dishwasher too. God knows there's already enough nasty bacterias lurking around the house, so I want to be good and sure to get all of the food from the kong! I feel good after the kong comes from the dishwasher as I know it's been sterilized and it's really actually clean! :)

hello - to get out some cheese that was stuck in our kong, i put a toothpick through the top small hole and wiggled it about, all the food fell out through the big hole at the bottom, and then i rinsed it with water !

Pets at Home have an easier to clean alternative to a Kong for stuffing. It's made of two purple rubber discs which screw together to make a 'fling saucer'. The screw(not metal) means that you can thoroughly clean the inside and also vary the size of the gap between the discr, to accomodate different sizes of treat.

Back