• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Training

Cathy T

I'm so excited I had to share. We are signed up for a novice training course and I am so excited. Lee (the instructor) is allowing me to bring both dogs together so she can work with me and both of them. I e-mailed re harnesses v collars and she said absolutely not a problem. That is definitely a good thing. She spoke at our club meeting and I just loved her demeanor. My guys are good at the basics (sit, stay, lay down, and have a decent come although not as responsive as I'd like). I'm really excited about working on walking nicely and not jumping up on people. The other major thing I want instruction on is Jake's barking.

I think that ill behaved dogs are like ill behaved children. It's not usually the fault of the dog or child but rather the owner or parent. I would love to have well behaved dogs (and for the most part they are) in public and know that it's up to me to achieve that.

Once we get our CGC there is an advanced course you enroll in where you pay one fee for the year and go as often as you'd like.

Oooohh, i like the sound of that class. It sounds like you will get a chance to really address the issues you want to work on. That's great! I so hear you on the walking nicely, not jumping up and the barking thing. :roll: Wish i could take that class too.
I wanna hear how things go, keep us updated on the progress of Jake and Shelby, and you. :D You can do it Cathy, they'll be perfect angels before you know it.

What a great sounding class! I'm really interested to hear how she will guide you on barking -- that's always an issue for so many people.

Cathy T said:
I'm so excited I had to share. We are signed up for a novice training course and I am so excited....My guys are good at the basics (sit, stay, lay down, and have a decent come although not as responsive as I'd like). I'm really excited about working on walking nicely and not jumping up on people. The other major thing I want instruction on is Jake's barking.

Cathy--that sounds wonderful! I'm looking for a class like that. i need help with barking. When he barks and i say "shhh," or "quiet," or "nhaah," he appears not to know what it is i'm telling him to stop doing.

So i would love it if you will report in on how that goes and what works.

I think that ill behaved dogs are like ill behaved children. It's not usually the fault of the dog or child but rather the owner or parent.

I totally agree. I think there is also some genetic component, something to do with breeding or individual temperament, some kids and some dogs are easier than others, some end up being well behaved even with lousy parenting, but i believe any kid or dog can do great with good parenting, even with so-called "difficult" temperaments.

Once we get our CGC there is an advanced course you enroll in where you pay one fee for the year and go as often as you'd like.

Great find Cathy! i'd love to hear how it goes. When do you start?

Sounds like a good trainer. Is it a group class or private? I will be glad to hear the recommendations for barking. I have one who barks excitedly for anything...going out, coming in, walks, food, etc. This summer we took our 2 youngest through classes for their CGC (didn't pass the tests yet). The trainer recommended playing the "crazy momma" game for barking!

Oooh good luck Cathy, that trainer sounds brilliant. I'd love to hear how you all get on.

I used to do obedience with Rupert {and Fillipa for a while...} and loved it. When he went deaf we switched to hand signals and still competed in local events...

I recently started training a recall with a dog whistle...it came about as Kyla is very deaf, but she can hear the high pitch as long as there isn't too much background noise...

The younger boys are learning what it means too...it looks SO impressive when you blow the whistle and they come running :D

We have the Acme 210.5 which I bought from http://www.gifts4gundogs.co.uk/html/gundog_training.html

There is some advice about how to train with a whistle here...I know it's based on gundogs, but it's still interesting...

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/dog-training/dog-whistle.shtml

molly said:
... The trainer recommended playing the "crazy momma" game for barking!

What's the "crazy momma" game? sounds like somehthing i'm up for.

Nicki said:
...There is some advice about how to train with a whistle here...I know it's based on gundogs, but it's still interesting...

what's a gundog? is that like if you go out and shoot things and the dog retrieves them?
(i looked on wikipedia--they say it's a punk rock group_

judy said:
Nicki said:
...There is some advice about how to train with a whistle here...I know it's based on gundogs, but it's still interesting...

what's a gundog? is that like if you go out and shoot things and the dog retrieves them?
(i looked on wikipedia--they say it's a punk rock group_

A gundog is a dog originally bred for shooting work. Such dogs as spaniels, retrievers and pointers. In some countries, cavaliers are used to retrieve small game, but they aren't classified as gun dogs by the KC.

Back