• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sensitive Stomach Diets?

Joanne

I feed Dudley and Darby EVO I mix a bit of chicken or hamburger but lately I find their stool is not as solid. I will try some fish too, I also add pure pumpkin to their food as they won't eat it by itself frozen or soft.

I started them on Boiled Rice and Chicken yesterday, I think my hubby has been sneaking them treats again. :bang:

I get so angry when he does this as Dudley really needs to lose about 3 lbs. He has lost 4 ounces since last week but he has been getting plenty of exercise too.

EVO on it's own is great, but intially the will let some pretty wicked gas out. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Yes, the black and green can is what we used. But we also gave him the kibble prescription e/n. I honestly don't remember how much I fed him. Luckily that has all become a bit of a fuzzy memory! :D As far as treats...nothing at all. His tummy was so sensitive that the slightest thing set him off. After he'd been on the diet for about a year I was able to start introducing new things. Now, they both can eat most anything...except milkbones! We had such a terrible time the one time Jake ate one that I've never given them again.

Lani - that's what our trainer did. She had us bring a bag of their kibble to use for training. Worked great!

I once had a man ask if he could give Jake some of his chocolate croissant!! :yikes No way!! He was so sweet and just enthralled with Jake. I explained that he had a sensitive stomach but had some treats he was able to have. Would he like to give him one? He did and we were all good. I had to remember to leave instructions at the groomers and doggie day care. No treats!!!

Karlin said:
Also try using something OTHER than chicken as the protein source. Chicken or beef are often allergy or sensitivity culprits, as are additives, or grains. Try fish, lamb, duck -- dome other protein source in the food. And a good quality food without lots of additives.

Home cooked or raw diets also often resolve sensitive stomachs.

Karlin

What type of fish do you feed. ????

Can I feed canned salmon or does it have to be fresh fish. ??

Linda said:
...EVO on it's own is great, but intially the will let some pretty wicked gas out.

zack had gas the first time i gave him pure EVO. i'd never smelled gas from him before, so i knew what it was, he was behind the chair i was sitting on. :roll: i didn't realize he was there and i smelled it and i wondered what is THAT?? and then he came trotting out from behind the chair...but he didn't show any sign of being uncomfortable. I talked to the guy at the Pet Store about it, i was asking about trying the RM (red meat) EVO, to see if that would stop the gas. The guy said i should try the NaturVet digestive enzymes, he said it really works. i already had some that i got back when i first had Zack and he had the whole colitis thing, so i started sprinkling it on the EVO every time and it totally eliminated the gas.

when i consulted with jean dodds a few weeks ago, she asked what i was feeding him and i told her Evo and she asked if he had any problem digesting it. I said no, and then mentioned the gas. She said Evo tends to be difficult for dogs with sensitive digestive tracts, she suggested mixing it 50/50 with one of the regular kinds of good quality kibble which has grains in it and a lower proportion of protein. I don't really think of Zack as having a sensitive digestive tract since he hasn't had any problems since the first month i had him and apparently it was an infection that was causing the symptoms, but i got some regular Innova kibble and have been mixing it 50/50 with the EVO for a couple of weeks, and i can make two observations: one, the stool is less firm, and two, no gas.

pick your poison? :?

Thanks Judy ... One issue I haven't posted about is Lucky's gas ... peee ewww!! :yuk: I'm not sure if it started with his prescription diet or what but we certainly have noticed it lately.

I'll have to look into those digestive enzymes as well ...

Judy

I forgot to mention that I also have Prozyme I have'nt been putting any on their food of late but I find that when you feed EVO in my experience it really is just intially that mine pass gas. That is not to say they never ge any, got me thinking maybe I will add 1/4 tsp 3 times a week.
I also add Solid Gold to their food.

Mine love it when I add cooked chicken to their kibble, I would love to hear what kind of fish you all use.

I give mine Solid Gold Seameal and a Monica Segal Multimineral Complex 3 times a week.

Back