• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dudley is my Hero

Linda

I just have to share this, my family and I were sitting Sunday night enjoying a movie. Dudley and Darby both went to the sliding door, they needed to go potty. We always let them out as our backyard is totally fenced in.

We were sitting in the living room and all of a sudden we hear this noise coming from the front of the house, my DH and my sons went to the front door and my mouth dropped as guess who was on the front porch scratching at the door to get in. :(
I automatically panicked to see Dudley at the front of the house, and then my heart sank as Darby was not with him. :cry: It was dark and he is much harder to spot at night. My kids ran out the front door calling for Darby, he was just about to step out onto the road and a car was coming.
My oldest son ran out onto the road and stopped the car.

I am so proud of Dudley that he came to the front door to get in if he had'nt I don't even want to think what could of happened.

After investigating the backyard, my DH had cut the grass earlier
and he had neglected to latch the gate properly. I am so proud of my little boy Dudley he came right back and alerted us that his little brother was missing.

What a great big brother he is, he got lots of praise and treats from everyone.

Please make sure your gates are closed, I will be pretty nervous about letting them out in the backyard alone now.

Dudley knew he had done something good and you could see the happiness and glow in his eyes amongst the tears from mine and the kids.
He is such a smart boy. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Oh Linda, sweetheart, what an awful ordeal. I am so sorry you had to go through that!! I am no good with nerves even after the fact. I am known locally as "the worry wart."

Thank GOD for Dudley. What an awesome big brother he is!! I am so proud of him :)

And that little red headed monster!! :yikes Hopefully he has learned a lesson!

Thank God your son was able to stop oncoming traffic.

I don't think I will ever be able to let Kos out on his own. Not because I don't trust him, but just in case there's something that I don't know about.. .. Plus I like knowing when he's gone pee.. hehe.. call me a control freak.. :roll:

Thank Goodness for the outcome Linda. :) I am so glad it worked out this way.. *HUGZ*! :)

oh linda....i'm so glad that turned out well. If not for Dudley's intelligence and heroism, i hate to think of what could've happened. What a smart and wise boy Dudley is--rather than running off carelessly like a puppy, he showed maturity and his true bonding to his family by sensing that things weren't right out there without you with them--thank goodness he is the dog he is. i know what you mean about being nervous about the backyard. i think everyone will check all the gates and doors from now on, that kind of accident can happen to anyone and we can all learn a lesson from your experience.
hurray for Dudley!!!! :w*w: :rah: cl*p :lotsaluv:

hugs to you :hug:

oh linda what a terrifying story..but it all turned out well in the end :D

and what a blessing Dudley was such a good,loving big brother! very intelligent boy! im sure Darby will think twice before going onto the road again with his big bro around!! (not that such a situation would ever arise).

i'll definitely be checking my gates and fences carefully before letting my two go out into the yard tonight!..glad everything turned out the way it should! :jmp: :hug:

Oh my God Linda, my heart just sank for you when I heard that :shock: . The exact same thing happened to us when Aggie was a puppy. We used to just let her out as we are totally fenced in but due to similar reasons this one day she managed to get out around the gate and to the front of the house. We were in the front room also, when I thought I heard her whining and scratching at the front door. She was very young at the time and just wanted to get back in. I never ever let Rio out alone and so far have been watching Tandie like a hawk.

Well done Dudley. He's obviously such a good little boy that just wanted to get back to his mom. It must be reassuring to know you have one fairly sensible one, at least cl*p It takes a while to get over a shock like that though. :hug:

Yay Dudley!!! What a good boy you are for taking care of your little brother.

Oh gooodness what a dreadful scare for you :yikes :yikes

Dudley you were SUCH a good boy, you obviously take your big brother duties very seriously, as I remember not too long ago it was YOU who used to run away...

Well done though I hope you had some extra special yummies...

and tell your Dadddy that raw steak is very good for black eyes after Mommy beat him up :oops: well if you didn't I bet you felt like it, and I bet he won't ever forget to latch the gate again!!!

Sadly Cavaliers really do not have any sense of danger at all, they love everyone and everything so much they can't imagine that anything can hurt them..so this does remind us all to be extra careful...

So pleased that wee Darby is safe though

dudley

:paw: dudley is such a good boy i know how scary it can be charlie got out of the cat flap once and chased the car my partner was driveing of in ,a friend in his car was bibbing on the horn to let him know but he didnt hear and carried on it was when he got down the road and round the corner that he stopped and charlie was standing in the middle of the road my daughter ran and picked him up to bring him home i only realised he had gone when i come down stairs and see the stairgate open :yikes i then paniced saw molly was asleep but no charlie i was about to run out the door when my partner pulled up and my daughter got out with charlie i now shout at everyone to shut the gate even before there through it

Thanks Everybody for your kind words and sharing your own experiences, now saying that those damm coats are going back and I am going to find something I can see in the dark.

Like WHITE, or light blue.
Donna has been kind enough to offer to send me some NEXT ones, I just want to try and see if I can find something here in case they don't fit.

My hubby made a promise to me that he would start walking the boys with me each night, believe me I could use the exercise. One just never knows if they can get off leash. Better to be safe than sorry, my search begins again for these coats. I am going to call around and see what I can find.

It really really is very difficult to see Rubies in the Dark, and our clocks are going forward which means it will pretty well be pitch dark before 6:00 p.m.

I was shaking for a longtime, as it really was not that long ago that Dudley would of taken off himself. As Nicki mentioned.
Darby is such a nosey and curious little guy, Thank God my son was so quick to run on the road and stop the car.

I told Dudley that all his Cavalier Friends are proud of him and he gave me the head tilt. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

They do sell those reflective coats here and they would match Dudley's shoes but they are just so darn ugly.
:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Oh, how sweet :flwr:
He is just like Bono. He has two times slipped otu, and he just walked one round in the garden and than scratched the door.
But that could have ended badly, Dudley is, like you say, a hero :lotsaluv:

merlinsmum said:
What a good boy Dudley was!

My two have safety blinkers attached to their collars/harnesses

http://www.thesafetyblinker.com/

I think I will go with blinkers or collars.
I ran out to Old Navy and bought this Sherpa Coat, I like it better than the brown ones I posted in the General Gallery. It is a SMALL and fits Dudley
but is huge on Darby.

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

I am also going to check out these White Parka style coats tonight at a little boutique right in the middle of a giagantic mall. Meaning I have to carry them into the mall to try them on as this guy does not give refunds and the dogs are not allowed to walk in the mall.

I don't go to this much trouble buying a coat for myself, but I think the scare last night did it to me.

What a night.

Do you like this one better, I have lost my head now. :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

I think with the White down the middle and if I buy a blinker like Kirsty suggested I will be okay.

Ooooh, that Sherpa coat looks great! I bought it a couple of weeks ago for Lucky and can't wait for him to grow up so he can wear it. :) It's nice to see the picture so I can imagine how it will look on him when it fits properly.

By the way, how much does Dudley weigh?

Linda,

They are really bright.... if you have difficulties finding them in the US, elt me know and I'll get some for you and I'll post them to you.

merlinsmum said:
Linda,

They are really bright.... if you have difficulties finding them in the US, elt me know and I'll get some for you and I'll post them to you.

Kirsty

I live in Toronto and I hate buying stuff from the states.
I will see what I can find here in Canada first. I always get suckered into paying duty charges and whatever else Canada Customs feels like charging me for.

Very stylish! I like those better! I think you are definitely on the right track with the blinkers. Remember, reflective jackets only work if there is light to reflect. 8)

Lani said:
Ooooh, that Sherpa coat looks great! I bought it a couple of weeks ago for Lucky and can't wait for him to grow up so he can wear it. :) It's nice to see the picture so I can imagine how it will look on him when it fits properly.

By the way, how much does Dudley weigh?

Lani:

Dudley is about 16 lbs, so you can't go by what the tags at Old Navy say.
Darby is about 12 lbs and it is huge on him, so I think I will need a x-small for him.

My youngest son says he has to have the Roots Jacket in Red, which I still have. :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

He said we will see him fine at night in red.

The sherpa coat is very nice looking and a good fit - my favorite so far!

Could you purchase reflective cloth strips to sew onto the coat?

Thank goodness they are safe and sound, and that Dudley is such an intelligent little boy! Have you recovered yet?

Back