• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toys that can't be destroyed?

KingstonsMom

Anybody else have a HEAVY CHEWER on their hands? Kingston destroyed a brand new toy today! It was one of those stuffed Buddy toys from PlanetDog. He chewed the arm off and had stuffing all over my bedroom. I feel bad because he loves soft toys, but he ruins them. Any ideas???

Most of our dogs are what could be called heavy chewers. They absolutely LOVE to destuff toys. There are no stuffed toys we have found that they can't destuff except one. It's a piece of nylon (?) fire hose filled with stuffing and both ends sewed shut. Unfortunately it's kind of boring and the dogs don't chew on it much.

So we just let them destuff toys, clean up the mess and then they are very happy chewing on the empty fabric that's left. Just part of the cost of having happy dogs.

Please don't leave a dog, who chews, alone with a soft toy. A cavalier puppy, in the North of England, died after chewinga rope toy and swallowing some of the threads, which caused severe damage to his insides.

Yes soft toys are always best supervised!

Jaspar used to be fine with stuffed toys but leo taught himn to destuff and now nothing is safe for long. It is not so much that they are heavy chewers 9the destuffers) just that they like to shred things. Other than that mine wouldn't be hard chewers.

A good unstuffable tough squeaky toy is the small Wubba from www.helpingudders.com or any of their cow milker toys! Note however that the 'donuts' are not intended as chew toys. Anything rubber based or the stuffed items for heavy chewers should be fine.

Awww Kingston :p You're growing up.. destuffing toys already.. :lol:

Kos has never "de-stuffed" a toy because when they lose their ears (that's what always goes first) they are off the floor. I have about 5 that are waiting for surgery to be done though, LOL. I've completely stopped buying anything stuffed since then though. Kosmo's toys are fairly bland. He can have rubber things and inedible nylabones when I am gone. I usually leave hiim with a nylabone and a kong when I leave. Anything else I have to watch hiim like a hawk as he could choke on them. Forget could.. he WILL. ANything that can be choked on, Kos will choke. He's forever supervised at home because of this.

I know lots of people leave theirs with pig ears, cow hooves, bully sticks, etc, but I wouldn't do it. I must have gotten a sick cow one time because the foot broke off into nice size chunks. Ugh.. I threw it away.. hooves are off limits now. Pig ears - same thing. I got a soft one that Kos thought he could eat within 10 minutes. I also took that away.. I think those could be high in fat as well. And Bully sticks.. he somehow got a string thing off a bully stick one time. After learning what they are I don't even want to think about what it could have been ( :grnyuk: ) but he is not allowed those either anymore.. LOL I am a mean mommy. :(

If Kingston is anything like Kos, I'de get the hard nylabones. He has only killed 1 of those since we had him (and I just threw it away last weekend.) He also chews on his Kong regularly and also some kind of rubber toothbrush thing. It took him a while but he was even eventually able to destroy the "indestructable" nylon toy. blah.

I think I might get some udder things Karlin - thanks for the info on those!

Good luck on your search and let me know if you come across anything else! :)

Poor Kosmo, no wonder he's not being a good boy Sara! You've taken all his pleasures away from him :roll: Send me your address and I'll send Kos a bully as a prezzie :lol:

Maxx destuffs things as well. He starts with their eyes and then their noses and then that's it..... :lol:

I always have at least one awaiting surgery. He is very patient though, he will sit and watch me whilst I sew them back up and waits so patiently :lol:

I bought a couple nylabones and Kingston loves them. They really are puppy pacifiers (as I've heard them referred to). I'm scared about the rope toys now. Kingston is crazy about his. Has anyone else had a problem with these? Should I take it away from him?

Our little cavalier used to raid our sock draws and chew socks ;)
We used to give our dogs cow hooves and bones to chew on (supervised of course). Jonty would bury his and steal the other dogs bones.
We also have raw-hide toys in various shapes and sizes that we used to give them as well.

KingstonsMom said:
I bought a couple nylabones and Kingston loves them. They really are puppy pacifiers (as I've heard them referred to). I'm scared about the rope toys now. Kingston is crazy about his. Has anyone else had a problem with these? Should I take it away from him?
Usually there are tags on the toys with warnings, and I've never seen a rope toy that didn't have the warning on it. Rope toys do require supervision, it's dangerous for dogs to swallow the threads.

Kingston's Mom,

THe day after we brought Kosmo home he choked on his rope toy's threads. I had to go in after them and pull them out of his throat. :( He really likes that toy, but I find it's better to just not give it to him. That way I don't have to worry.

Funny you mention the pacifier. I forgot to mention, that's kosmo's FAVORITE toy. He LOVES to play tug with it. We got it the night we brought him home and it is still alive and well today (which is unusual for his toys.) It's the only survivor.

m53301827.jpg

Sara, I hate to appear a wet blanket again, but be careful about playing tug, if Kosmoo grips the toy with his front (small teeth). Joly, as a puppy, lost a tooth from his front lower jaw and the vet reckoned it must have been pulled out while playing tug with Teddy. She said it often happened with dogs playing tug, because those front teeth are not as well rooted as the teeth behind the canines.

Barbara,

Thanks for your concerns. Kosmo is much older now and has his adult teeth. Since he's been small I've always practiced "safe tug" with him, meaning that I do not tug at all. I hold it, and he tugs. I don't shake it from side to side either. I don't want to hurt him. Also he bites the big part of the pacifier so there is no way it could accidently get wrapped around part of his teeth or anything. I have the ring.

Thanks for your concerns though - I would hate to de-tooth him. ;)

I did say that Joly was a puppy, but it's the adult tooth he lost, so he's gappy. He'll be more so soon as he needs two molars, which are at a funny angle removing, as they are being pushed out of his gum.

Back