• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what food as treats?

angie

are there any good treat ideas out there for jadan who is chicken, wheat and gluten intolerant? ;) not to mention others. i had word from some of you that your little pooches had tummy troubles with chicken etc so what do you give as a treat that isnt there normal food. he likes the odd carrot and i have a list of other kitchen food that he can eat but would like some tried and tested ones from others with less tolerable tummies, so i dont keep putting him through trials. sometimes i want him to have a good chew on something that isnt a nylabone! :D

bully stick, hooves--if you're looking for chew treats as opposed to behavior reward treats. the pet store person told me compressed hoof was better than the actual hoof, you can buy either one, but they said there would be less likelihood of pieces breaking off that might be too big if swallowed.

for behavior reward treats, zack loves Merricks Lamb fillet squares. i think they're about 70% protein and only 10% fat. He also loves this salmon treat, it's about 90% salmon, crunchy pieces, definitely smells like salmon. he really loves both of those.

I was in the holistic pet food store yesterday and saw some salmon strips. Fish is wonderful.. .. ;)

Have you tried fresh fruit, mine both love cantaloupe, bananas, apples.

You can also buy EVO treats which have no gluten/wheat in them all protein you will need to make sure they don't have chicken in them sorry my package is at the cottage or I would check for you.

Mine also love peas, string beans and carrots.

As for chewy I give bully sticks.

I am sure you can find treats in the store which are Gluten Free

OK, i just checked the bag. The salmon treats are Lakse Kronch 85% Real Salmon, made in Denmark. 45% protein, and 40% fat (!)--because it's salmon, it says the fat is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. www.activepetfeeds.com

I also have some rabbit strips i just got recently which zack loves. It's called Cadet Gourmet Real Meat Snack Dog Treats, oven roasted rabbit fillets, 70% protein, 4% fat, 18% moisture, 100% meat.

These are made in China.....

Are there any lamb and rice treats out there I wonder? I bought some very good treats a while back, and I think Nutro made them.

I just did a quick check, and they also make biscuits for sensitive stomachs too! My dogs did great on the biscuits that I got for them, I was impressed!!

I give King fruits/veggies such as apples, bananas, broccoli, various berries (blue, rasp, straw, black) carrots, peas, string beans, tomatoes (lil messy) dehydrated chicken, bully stix, and other various healthy treats

i give Daisy carrots, peas, grapes, apple, ice cubes (!!!)... as well as the normal chicken, sausage, salmon, tuna and also last night she tried some pork fillet! she is a very pampered pooch!! :D

emmawright said:
i give Daisy carrots, peas, grapes, apple, ice cubes (!!!)... as well as the normal chicken, sausage, salmon, tuna and also last night she tried some pork fillet! she is a very pampered pooch!! :D

That sounds yummy, lucky dog. :) but watchout for those grapes, and high sodium foods too. Grapes can cause acute kidney failure in dogs (raisins are worse).
:shock:

Basically I would avoid anything that says "meat and animal derivatives" in the ingredients, as this could contain any "rubbish" left over from human food production.

Commonly available treats such as chewy sticks, schmackos, rewards etc and even things which are supposed to be good for dogs such as Jumbone and Dentastix all contain these type of ingredients.

Many also contain colourings and quite high leves of sodium.

Do you think that colourings in the treats can make dogs hypo like children? has anyone seen this happen?

just a thought....

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

judy said:
I also have some rabbit strips i just got recently which zack loves. It's called Cadet Gourmet Real Meat Snack Dog Treats, oven roasted rabbit fillets, 70% protein, 4% fat, 18% moisture, 100% meat.

These are made in China.....

No wonder he likes them - they're probably made of cat :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Alison_Leighfield said:
Do you think that colourings in the treats can make dogs hypo like children? has anyone seen this happen?

just a thought....

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Alison,

It wouldn't surprise me at all. If Charlie has anything with colourings in it, he scratches and bites himself to pieces :( He's back on the Atopica btw. I gave him one yesterday and after about an hour he stopped biting, scratching and rubbing his eyes - today he is fine :roll: Looks like it's going to be one every three days and just hope the immuno therapy will still work :?

Oh no, what happens if he doesn't get the six week break from it, can you continue with the treatment at all?

(((hugs for Charlie))) & Maxx of course!

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Yes, but we're not sure if it will be as effective :?

Oh yeah on the subject of treats. Mine get JWB mini jacks (or whatever they're called - tiny bone shaped biccies), apple, banana, peach, orange, cheese, dried liver and heart, cauliflower, carrot, turnip & plenty of other fresh fruits and veggies. Not all at once obviously. They get 3-4 treats a day but none of them fattening.

Back