Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what food as treats?

Post Thanks / Like

I give King fruits/veggies such as apples, bananas, broccoli, various berries (blue, rasp, straw, black) carrots, peas, string beans, tomatoes (lil messy) dehydrated chicken, bully stix, and other various healthy treats
    Aaron, King and the rest of family
    living in NY

Post Thanks / Like

i give Daisy carrots, peas, grapes, apple, ice cubes (!!!)... as well as the normal chicken, sausage, salmon, tuna and also last night she tried some pork fillet! she is a very pampered pooch!!

Post Thanks / Like

The James Wellbeloved Crackerjack treats are hypo-allergenic. They come in lamb, turkey and duck.

http://www.wellbeloved.co.uk/
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmawright
    i give Daisy carrots, peas, grapes, apple, ice cubes (!!!)... as well as the normal chicken, sausage, salmon, tuna and also last night she tried some pork fillet! she is a very pampered pooch!!
    That sounds yummy, lucky dog. but watchout for those grapes, and high sodium foods too. Grapes can cause acute kidney failure in dogs (raisins are worse).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Basically I would avoid anything that says "meat and animal derivatives" in the ingredients, as this could contain any "rubbish" left over from human food production.

Commonly available treats such as chewy sticks, schmackos, rewards etc and even things which are supposed to be good for dogs such as Jumbone and Dentastix all contain these type of ingredients.

Many also contain colourings and quite high leves of sodium.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that colourings in the treats can make dogs hypo like children? has anyone seen this happen?

just a thought....

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judy

I also have some rabbit strips i just got recently which zack loves. It's called Cadet Gourmet Real Meat Snack Dog Treats, oven roasted rabbit fillets, 70% protein, 4% fat, 18% moisture, 100% meat.

These are made in China.....
    No wonder he likes them - they're probably made of cat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alison_Leighfield
    Do you think that colourings in the treats can make dogs hypo like children? has anyone seen this happen?

just a thought....

Alison, Wilts, U.K.
    Alison,

It wouldn't surprise me at all. If Charlie has anything with colourings in it, he scratches and bites himself to pieces He's back on the Atopica btw. I gave him one yesterday and after about an hour he stopped biting, scratching and rubbing his eyes - today he is fine Looks like it's going to be one every three days and just hope the immuno therapy will still work

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, what happens if he doesn't get the six week break from it, can you continue with the treatment at all?

(((hugs for Charlie))) & Maxx of course!

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but we're not sure if it will be as effective

Oh yeah on the subject of treats. Mine get JWB mini jacks (or whatever they're called - tiny bone shaped biccies), apple, banana, peach, orange, cheese, dried liver and heart, cauliflower, carrot, turnip & plenty of other fresh fruits and veggies. Not all at once obviously. They get 3-4 treats a day but none of them fattening.