• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Car Safety

I do remember reading an article back in the day about the safety of car harnesses for dogs. I read that most of the ones out there would not hold up to an accident at 50mph, something about the plastc buckles breaking I think. There was only one that the article found (which I can't remember) that would hold up to an accident going 50mph. This particular harness looked a nightmare to put on the dog however - very complicated.

That said, we use a regular car harness for Misha and buckle in a Sherpa bag with Merlin in it. Both are excellent travelers.

Just a question -

If you have a dog travelling in a crate and lets say you get rear ended.. the dog will sling shot to the front of the crate.. That could really hurt your dog, couldnt it?

I am just trying to find out what is the safest mode of travel.

I cannot really comment on the physics of the dogs if they are in the crate during an accident, except that I think a soft sided crate and one where you could also attach them in some way would probably be better (so they don't "slingshot" toward the front). The car seat I use (also a wheeled carrier) allows me to do this.

I would say though to please be sure you are never driving alone with the dog unsecured. I know for everyone on the board that it probably goes without saying but it really really is dangerous. A couple of years ago, my half-sister lost a very good friend because her friend was killed in in a car accident while driving with her dog loose in the front seat. She hit a bus. The newspapers speculated that the dog distracted her in some way and contributed to the accident. Obviously that is the extreme case, but it can happen and it is a horrible tragedy when it does. I'm really glad that you started this thread and are calling all of our attention to this issue. :flwr:

I use a soft sided crate-- that will probably dissapate some of the energy of the crash. If your dog isn't restrained in some way they could plow through the windshield or bounce around like a pin ball. It is a very disturbing scenario to say the least.

I have an acura SUV and I purchased two varikennels that I seat belted through the handle side by side on my rear seat. these fit perfectly on the back seat. They love these car crates and they jump into them when they know they are going out. I also put a fleece crate pad each crate. I figured this out when they both jumped in my face while I was driving on a very winding road. I immediately went to petplus and started measuring crates. I like the backseat because the airconditioning vents for the rear seats blowon theri crates, and they are never too hot in the car.

BS

Sara,
I haven't personally had experience with a carsick dog, but I've read that Rescue Remedy can help this. You can get RR in health food stores. It's supposed to help anxiety. I've also heard that people give their dogs a bit of a ginger biscuit before the drive. I guess there are ginger dog biscuits? In general, ginger helps nausea.
I hope this helps Kosmo!
:flwr:

I used to use the RAC harnesses attached to the seatbelts but had problems with this as sometiems the dogs seem to turn around and get tangled up.

Also TedBear is unable to tolerate a harness due to his Syringomyelia.

Mine now travel in a cage which is secured in the car with bungee cords.

IMG_1366.jpg

I am very wary of dogs travelling behind guards in the boot of a car, as it doesn't give them anywhere to go if someone hits the back of your car...

Yes ginger biscuits can be very helpful for travel sickness...also for some reason hanging fresh parsley in the car!!

The best solution we have found is to have lots of padding underneath the dogs, either a thick foam cushion or lots of layers of vet bed. This absorbs the vibrations and seems to work for us!!

We've got two RAC seat belt harnesses and they are fine. Maxx only managed to get tangled up the once (and it had to be on a busy motorway of course!) but it was my fault. He had lost weight and I had forgotten to alter his harness.

Most of the time, I belt them in and they snuggle down on their blankies on the back seat & sleep for the journey anyway. Maxx occasionally gets a huff on as he likes to sit up front with Mamma but he usually calms down when he hears the radio :lol:

I think this thread cursed me!

I only went and reversed right into a parked car this morning after dropping the boys off at Grandmas! :roll: :roll:

poor bloke, it was his first car - pride and joy and now it has a big dint in the side - my car has a rather poorly bumper! :?

Sara

I was at Petsmart yesterday and had a look at the carseats they carry, they look quite flimsy.

The only problem I have with the lot I drive around, I would never have room for my kids if I bought one of those dble booster seat style carseats.
I would need to trade my van in for a bus. :D :D :D :D

Once Darby is full grown I will purchase another carseat Vest for him, the same as Dudley's.

Oh No Kirsty!!!

I am sorry I didn't mean to curse you!!

Is your HB OK with you or are you in big trouble still!?

Linda,

I think I might just end up ordering a soft sided crate from Ebay and then waiting until that other carseat comes in and see how that works. I have noticed the ones at petsmart before to be quite flimsy, and frankly, Kosmo will find out what a fun chew thoy that is real quick. (he does with EVERYTHING.)

How big is Darby now?

It was my car that I bumped so he's not bothered! I'm only in the doghouse because I now have no car for a week while it gets fixed!

Back